OT - Resume

Forum: October 2012 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree9Likes
  • 3 Post By doremi
  • 3 Post By doremi
  • 2 Post By bostoncreampie
  • 1 Post By JaxonsMom2010

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To October 2012 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 15th, 2013, 03:42 AM
LoverlyJules's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I'm looking to update my resume. I'd like to do more of a "skills-based" resume so that I can maximize my experience in teaching to translate to other fields.

Any experience or suggestions?

Thanks!

May 15th, 2013, 08:50 AM
doremi's Avatar Team Blue Mama of Two
My DH works in HR. Here are some of his tips:

Most places don't want cover letters anymore
Get your Linked In profile up to date, and upload your resume to there
Work experience first, then education
Remember that most jobs use some sort of a computerized search engine when screening applications. You should be tweaking your resume for EACH job you apply for. Look for the key words included in the job posting, and make sure those end up in your resume. Think about what other traits they are most likely looking for, and try to include those buzz words in your resume too.
For each job you list, give SPECIFIC examples of things you have accomplished. One example from mine: Grew the program from 18 to 54 members in three years. Don't just use cliches such as hard worker, punctual, etc.

Hope that helps some! Also, keep a notebook with your notes of your accomplishments, and examples of your work if possible.

My DH recommends doing a long form resume that is several pages long with EVERYTHING on it that you save on your home computer, then whittling it down to fit each individual job that you apply for.

May 15th, 2013, 05:31 PM
LoverlyJules's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Thanks, Sarah!

May 15th, 2013, 06:43 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Hey Sarah, how good is linken for jobs?

May 15th, 2013, 10:30 PM
doremi's Avatar Team Blue Mama of Two
Linked In is EXTREMELY important in this day and age. My DH has been recruited multiple times based on his linked in profile. Larger companies often hire 3rd party recruiters to fill their jobs, and linked in is the first place they turn to. It is important that you make it a GOOD profile with a fantastic resume, that you set it to public, and that you start making connections. Meet a recruiter on the bus? Get their business card, look them up on Linked In and connect. Meet somebody at a business luncheon or at your kids soccer match who works in your field or who is at a company you would like to work for? Send them a linked in request. My DH has over 200 connections on his profile, and an introductory paragraph plus bullet points describing each job he has held on his profile. He has also "joined" as many relevant professional groups as possible via linked in, and listed them with their logos on his page.

May 16th, 2013, 08:10 PM
bostoncreampie's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to bostoncreampie
I'm glad Sarah could give advice! I've been a SAHM for 6 years, Ill need so much help from you all when I get back in to school and work.
doremi and JaxonsMom2010 like this.
May 21st, 2013, 09:14 AM
JaxonsMom2010's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I work in the career center at the local college and just wanted to say DITTO to everything that Sarah mentioned. But I would have a cover letter on file just in case because there are still places that require it.
doremi likes this.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search