marijuana

Forum: October 2012 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By bryan and nina
  • 1 Post By bryan and nina

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To October 2012 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 26th, 2013, 07:57 PM
bostoncreampie's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to bostoncreampie
What are your thoughts on parenting and marijuana? Is there room for pot in a parent's life? I imagine we'd all agree that smoking pot around children is unacceptable. But what about after the children are in bed? Does the fact that it is illegal automatically make it unacceptable in the parenting world? What if it were legal? Do your opinions change if the marijuana is for medical reasons?
May 27th, 2013, 12:25 PM
bryan and nina's Avatar Love being a mommy!
I don't know I'm a good person to reply to this since my views on drugs are pretty strict. Lol. I'm very anti-drugs; I hardly ever drank before having Emmy; like once a year maybe, and I doubt I will drink any from here on. It's just not for me since I don't enjoy the way it makes me feel. And drugs are even more so a no-no, so my views on that are that they have absolutely no place in a home with children around. Anything that alters your mood and response time shouldn't be consumed while one watches children. If you smoke when they go to bed; hypothetically, what happens if there's an emergency and you're high? Say your young child breaks his arm? Would you drive them to the ER high??
If you want to do it while someone else is responsible for your children, I guess I would be ok with that. But like I said, I am pretty much 100% against drugs, but I also realize that my views on this topic are pretty closed minded.
babymama10 likes this.

May 27th, 2013, 12:57 PM
6 Girls and 4 Boys
I 100% agree with Nina!!!!!! I have never tried drugs or marijuana. I did smoke a cigarette once and my birth parents were nuts and gave me three beers when I was 10. I still remember how sick I was to this day and have NEVER touched beer again.. LOL.. I would never do that to my children even tho it has kept me away from alchohol. They are very lucky I did not get alchohol poison and need emergency medical treatment.. I remember throwing up for 24 hours and being so dizzy and crying badly. Bad parenting in my opinion!!!
As for medical reasons..... I guess if its has to be then make sure someone is home besides you if the children are going to be in your care.I suffer from SEVERE ulcerative colitis ( colon disease) and it was mentioned to me that as a last resort for pain. I used to have to take narcotics off and on. But thank GOD I have been in remission for 2 years now. I do know a lot of people love marijuana tho. It must be good stuff.... LOL

Last edited by babymama10; May 27th, 2013 at 01:02 PM.
May 27th, 2013, 04:15 PM
bryan and nina's Avatar Love being a mommy!
Lol right; lots of people here do it... And I guess one could argue like Ben Harper: "before you knock it, try it first.." so maybe I shouldn't be talking since I've never tried it... But that's my opinion.
And I have to agree; that's pretty horrible that they gave you 3 beers.
babymama10 likes this.

May 27th, 2013, 11:09 PM
doremi's Avatar Team Blue Mama of Two
Well, marijuana for recreational purposes is now legal in WA state. I never have and never will smoke pot or any other substance. If I needed marijuana for medical reasons, I wouldn't smoke it. There are other ways to get the medicinal effects from my understanding. As for the drinking, we have a strict 2 drink limit rule in our house, and I very rarely drink more than 1 glass. I would never put myself in a position where I felt incapacitated should my children need me.

May 28th, 2013, 10:10 AM
bostoncreampie's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to bostoncreampie
I have never smoked pot and never will. It repulses me. I am open to the idea that it may not be any more dangerous than alcohol, but the fact remains that it is still an illegal drug, and as much as people might disagree with that fact, I don't think breaking the law when you have children is the best idea.

I have heard stories of children being taken away from pot smoking parents. I am not sure how I feel about this. Medical pot is acceptable to me, but there is a fine line between that and recreational pot. In this instance, I think it's best to avoid 100%.
May 28th, 2013, 05:34 PM
LoverlyJules's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
First and foremost, I don't think it's ok to do anything illegal when you are home with your children. Since marijuana is illegal, I can't say it's ok.

That being said, I wonder if it's really that much different than parents drinking a few beers after the kids go to bed.

As far as medicinal purposes ... a "bad back" , um, no. My mother said that if my father would have agreed, she would have baked him pot brownies when he was going through chemo. I think there may be ok uses for it as far as pain management, but it can be overused.

May 28th, 2013, 09:03 PM
lovely.carlie's Avatar MaKinslie's Mommy
I've grown up in a sober and drug free home. My parents, husband, and multiple relatives are all recovering alcoholics and addicts. I don't feel that it's right to do in the first place only because I know how drinking and smoking can go from recreational to addiction very quickly and homes like that are very hard to grow up in and very sad as well. I guess if the kids are with other adults or staying the night somewhere else it would not be deemed HORRIBLE in my eyes, but I still don't agree with it. Just hits too close to home.

May 29th, 2013, 08:31 AM
JillMama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
It's legal here in CO. I do not smoke, neither does my DH. I have when I was younger, but it doesn't interest me at all now as an adult.

Jett 10/11/12 7lb 14.5oz 20.5in long
May 29th, 2013, 09:15 AM
jlstebbins's Avatar *Super*Mega*Mommy*
We dont smoke cigs or pot! And we dont agree with smoking it either.

With that said...we dont drink either and dont agree with that either.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search