Realization about purees

Forum: October 2012 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree8Likes
  • 1 Post By ~*Kel*~
  • 4 Post By doremi
  • 1 Post By SLP83
  • 1 Post By bryan and nina
  • 1 Post By yashobo

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To October 2012 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 6th, 2013, 05:19 PM
bryan and nina's Avatar Love being a mommy!
To recap: we have tried feeding purées for a couple of weeks now but she's really not into them at all... She will eat a spoonful or two but makes a bad face every time.
Tonight, I was eating a bowl of mashed sweet potatoes with coconut oil (SO yummy!! ) and sitting with her while she was playing in her exersaucer and she was very interested in my bowl! Bryan said I should let her try some. She has had sweet potatoes puréed before but I stream and purée hers very fine. My mashed ones were pretty chunky. Lol.
So I have her a tiny, pea sized amount on my spoon and she actually ate and liked it!! No bad face! The chunky texture didn't seem to bother her and she was actually making chewing motions with her mouth!!
Should I try to give her more coarse purées? I just can't believe she did better with the chunky stuff than the thin, runny purées (I always added pumped milk). She gagged more on those than the stuff today. Lol.

June 6th, 2013, 05:49 PM
October 2012 PR Co-Host
I think as long as she isn't gagging, it's a good idea. You could always add some BM if you are worried it's too thick. I bet it tastes a lot better than jar food.
June 6th, 2013, 06:08 PM
~*Kel*~'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to ~*Kel*~
*Lurking, sorry lol* My son was born 9/29, so he is about a month older than your dd. He has been completely off purees and eating table food for 2-3 weeks. I think as long as the food is soft, like the potato chunks, she will be fine.
Jinnah likes this.

June 6th, 2013, 07:20 PM
Mich05's Avatar Veteran
I was just at a baby group today where a dietitian presented on solids. specifically for babies 8 to 9 months old and she said purees should be a short phase and they should be getting chunkier foods (like mashed with a potato masher as opposed to pureed) and finger foods by 8 to 9 months old. I still do baby cereal and purees and chunky food and finger food and Mathieu was 8 months on May 24. Go with what she wants!!
June 6th, 2013, 07:44 PM
JillMama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Maybe se was gagging because they were so thin that she was confusing them for the same texture as her milk and wasn't eating it right???? Jett does great with tick stuff, I think he prefers it.

Jett 10/11/12 7lb 14.5oz 20.5in long
June 6th, 2013, 10:09 PM
Summerdays12's Avatar Erin&Aaron's1st!
Jonah absolutely hates purées and it's a shame because my freezer is full of cubed purées that I made haha. The only food he will eat that is "smooth" is vanilla coconut milk yogurt. The rest of his food is table food.

June 7th, 2013, 12:16 AM
doremi's Avatar Team Blue Mama of Two
Jamison still acts like I'm poisoning him if I offer anything except the boob!

June 7th, 2013, 04:54 AM
SLP83's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Nina, Im starting to think Nora might be the same way. She's not a huge purée fan, she'll take a few bites but lose interest. If I give her a hunk of something, though, she seems more interested. Can't say I blame her!
JillMama likes this.
June 7th, 2013, 06:14 PM
Jill, that's exactly what I was thinking! Like, she didn't know whether it was milk or what, because I had used so much bm to water it down! She had more chunky sweet potatoes and some mango/pear sauce this afternoon and she loved it. funny how that works.
Interesting about the purées only being a short phase. I honestly thought that was going to be the texture of her food for a while! But apparently they can mash stuff just fine with their gums.
Glad to hear several of you have texture loving little ones as well!!
JillMama likes this.

June 8th, 2013, 06:36 PM
bostoncreampie's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to bostoncreampie
Ruby is sort of the same way. She despises baby food. Not ready for table food yet though so we are going to wait it out a bit more.
June 10th, 2013, 02:38 PM
myfavoriteshoes's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Skype™ to myfavoriteshoes
I completely skipped purees this time around and went ahead and started Baby-Led Weaning at 6 months. He eats table foods and does well!

June 10th, 2013, 07:40 PM
Mich05's Avatar Veteran
yesterday for brunch, Mat had scrambled eggs (in little pieces) and toast cut in strips. he did great!
June 11th, 2013, 12:42 AM
yashobo's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Luyando's puree are thicker and she eats a lot of table food; she loves it whenever I grill fish.
JillMama likes this.

Sisters, friends forever
June 13th, 2013, 08:19 AM
TTCMA Cheer Captain
The twins do okay with purees but like chunkier things better. Claire HATED purees. Emmy is just ready to be a Big Girl

Melissa & DH
IVF babies Claire (3), Abigail (1) and George (1)

June 17th, 2013, 08:26 AM
Haha thanks Melissa. I think so too!

Yetty, fish is so good for them. I'm still struggling with wether I should at least feed her fish, since we aren't doing any meat.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search