languages

Forum: October 2012 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By SLP83

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To October 2012 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 7th, 2013, 05:45 PM
Mich05's Avatar Veteran
Is anybody else here speaking to their children almost exclusively in a language other than english? we speak mostly french, and i know our kids will pick up english as they get older, but i still struggle with it sometimes. Especially because although we do have other french friends with kids who speak french, most friends' kids speak english only so i find there is a barrier from them playing together. i also know it is much easier for them to pick up english later than french because english is everywhere but i was just wondering if these were normal feelings.
Both my husband and i learned french before english and are fluent in both languages.
June 7th, 2013, 06:10 PM
bryan and nina's Avatar Love being a mommy!
I speak German all day to my daughter while its just her and I at home, but once my husband is there, we speak English since he doesn't know German, so it's not quite the same as your situation... I get where you're coming from, by honestly I'd try to not worry too much. I think kids are great at communicating, especially through play, even with a language barrier!

June 7th, 2013, 06:35 PM
SLP83's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
In my opinion you should speak French all the time, the English will come on its own. Now is the time, if you don't do it now it will be so much harder later.

Im so envious of bilingual homes, I only know English but so wish I knew something else.
Pageturner likes this.
June 8th, 2013, 06:02 AM
Oh Emily, you may be a good person to ask this; do you have any idea if it will confuse Emmy that I speak both English and German to her?? I'm afraid it will.

June 8th, 2013, 07:07 AM
SLP83's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Nope! She's at the perfect age to be able to figure out 2 languages at once . It COULD result in her taking a bit longer to start talking, but that doesn't necessarily mean she's delayed, it just means she's busy sorting everything out. The only time I might not recommend it is if there is some type of developmental delay or language disorder, which Im assuming isn't a concern for Emmy right now. Keep that German up!
June 8th, 2013, 10:30 AM
LoverlyJules's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I occasionally speak Spanish words around Madalyn or read her a book in Spanish. I'm not quite good enough to speak it all of the time and DH doesn't know it.

June 8th, 2013, 06:30 PM
bostoncreampie's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to bostoncreampie
That's awesome! I used to be fluent in portuguese but I have forgotten most of it.
June 8th, 2013, 06:48 PM
Thanks Emily! I guess I'm just nervous about her figuring out that she should speak German to me when it's just her and I, but English when Bryan is around, since he doesn't understand German... I'm sure she will figure it out!

June 9th, 2013, 04:17 AM
yashobo's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Don't worry Nina; kids are very smart and she'll catch on. I've seen kids turn to one parent speak one language and turn to the second and speak another.

To the question, I speak a bit of my language (Yoruba) to my kids and they hear my mom and I speak it when my mom is living with us. I speak it with my friends on the phone mixed with English so they hear it a lot. DD1 will greet me in the morning with it and say few words here and there. I wish I had the discipline to speak it more with them. DH speaks a different language so that's why its sort of hard to speak it and leave him out but I could speak it to them when he not at home like Nina; just need to be disciplined to do it. I do check DD1 in my language in public if she is behaving and she stops; made sure she understood that part right from when she was 1.5 years old. I also speak french averagely well but don't speak it to them at all.

Sisters, friends forever
June 9th, 2013, 08:50 AM
Pageturner
Just English right now. I'm not fluent in anything else, but I used to be fairly well-versed in Spanish. I still know a lot, but not enough to teach him to really speak. I could do vocab words though. I really want him to learn Spanish because living in FL it will really aid him in the workforce later in life. I think I will start trying to teach him :-)
June 9th, 2013, 05:22 PM
Mega Super Mommy
we do the same as Nina!

But I'm not worried about her talking German to DH. I actually want her to lol so he will learn some German too! He wants to learn it, but is right now too lazy to, and he keeps saying he'll learn it when Savina does. So there we go

Also, Nina, if you use baby sign language, Emmy will be even better at learning both German and English, as the signs will be the same regardless of what spoken language you use. She'll be able to put two and two together that way even easier.

We do lots of German and some baby signing.

my little love bug Savina Celestiale arrived 10/16/12 measuring 6lb 5oz, 20 inches
June 10th, 2013, 06:08 AM
Thanks Yetty, that made me feel better. I love how many cultures your family integrates! So your dh is from a different region in Africa? I'd love to hear Yoruba; I wonder if they have YouTube videos of it?!

Elli, thanks for that. I'm getting a bit discouraged, tbh, with the sign language since she's making no attempt at signing back or even paying attention to the signs much, when I make them.. How about savina?

Last edited by bryan and nina; June 11th, 2013 at 10:49 AM.
June 11th, 2013, 05:42 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Nina, it takes on average 2+ months until babies sign back. I think she's slowly getting the "diaper" sign, and she definitely recognizes the sign for milk, as every time I sign it, she gets all excited to be fed!

I don't think Emmy isn't paying attention on purpose. Babies want to have fun. Teach her the signs incorporated in games. There is a great book sign, sing, play I believe it's called, talking about how to teach babies sign language by making it fun.

my little love bug Savina Celestiale arrived 10/16/12 measuring 6lb 5oz, 20 inches
June 11th, 2013, 10:51 AM
I'll check that book out Elli! Thanks.

I've been signing to her since birth and I kind of thought she would be signing back by now... I read usually by 8 months.

June 12th, 2013, 06:55 AM
myfavoriteshoes's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Skype™ to myfavoriteshoes
I really need to stick to French during the day while my DH is at work. We are in a French environment and I am French... they will go to French school (if I decide not to homeschool)... Everyone tells me it's bad that I am talking to them in English... so maybe, maybe I should really reconsider with Elijah at least. With Samuel, he is 4.5 and knows about 10words in French... which is my fault But if I do it with Elijah, he might learn too

I think I will start now... never too late, right?

And eventually my kids will be partly trilingual because they need to know Spanish for DH's family too...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryan and nina View Post
I'll check that book out Elli! Thanks.

I've been signing to her since birth and I kind of thought she would be signing back by now... I read usually by 8 months.
It's actually 8 to 10 months. So its still way early!
Eli recognizes for sure, but doesn't sign yet. But hey, he's not even 7.5mo yet! I have a young'in!

Last edited by myfavoriteshoes; June 12th, 2013 at 06:58 AM.
July 29th, 2013, 08:38 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by myfavoriteshoes View Post
It's actually 8 to 10 months. So its still way early!
Eli recognizes for sure, but doesn't sign yet. But hey, he's not even 7.5mo yet! I have a young'in!
Actually, I read they can sign back as early as 6 months (especially if you start from birth), and I know a baby who signed at 7 months.

July 31st, 2013, 06:01 AM
myfavoriteshoes's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Skype™ to myfavoriteshoes
he has started signing back!!! Milk and Eat And a weird version of Tired

July 31st, 2013, 01:45 PM
6 Girls and 4 Boys
English/German. Some German if I think about it. I just am not as good as I used to be. I spent some time in Austria and HAD to learn if i wanted to talk to anyone. LOL
Being left there with no German words at all and everyone speaking to me 100% of the time in German made me very fluent in about 8 weeks.. Amazing after months of book work in school for spanish and can't remember didly!!!
July 31st, 2013, 05:27 PM
Mega Super Mommy
i wishi knew itialian.. but i dont, my mom only knew the curse words, and her parents didnt teach. i used to know sign language, i also with we could speak german.

July 31st, 2013, 07:53 PM
Belita's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I once met a 3 year old who spoke 3 languages! It's so great for them!! I wish we were multilingual. I used to know Spanish and ASL but forgot most of each.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search