Smoking near public entrances

Forum: October 2012 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree7Likes
  • 1 Post By bryan and nina
  • 1 Post By Mich05
  • 3 Post By babymama10
  • 1 Post By KMH
  • 1 Post By yashobo

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To October 2012 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 18th, 2013, 10:23 AM
October 2012 PR Co-Host
Almost every time we go out, we have to walk through a cloud of smoke to get into a store. I don't know what is going on! People stand near the doors or in the parking lot smoking. I hate the smell. I worry because I have an asthmatic and a baby. Is this unhealthy? Am I being paranoid? How often do you experience this when you go out? Does it worry you? Do you try to avoid it?
June 18th, 2013, 10:54 AM
bryan and nina's Avatar Love being a mommy!
I try to avoid it and it does make me nervous when we breathe it in although I realize that it's not super dangerous to breathe it for a few second. I hate it though!!
Jinnah likes this.

June 18th, 2013, 11:19 AM
October 2012 PR Co-Host
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryan and nina View Post
I try to avoid it and it does make me nervous when we breathe it in although I realize that it's not super dangerous to breathe it for a few second. I hate it though!!
I think this is the second thread I've posted about smoking (the other one was about guests who smell like smoke, if I'm remembering correctly). That's how much it worries me.

What do you do to avoid it? I try to look before we get out of the car (and wait until they are done), but it's hard when you are leaving the store.

How often do you encounter this where you live?
June 18th, 2013, 11:58 AM
Mich05's Avatar Veteran
People who smoke near entrances drive me crazy! but i also hate it even when i am at a bus stop. I feel like tehy should move away from the non-smokers but it is always me who moves away...
Jinnah likes this.
June 18th, 2013, 06:11 PM
6 Girls and 4 Boys
GROSS!!!!! Nothing like my sweet little baby smelling like an old used ashtray!! YUMMY!!!
KMH, jlstebbins and Jinnah like this.
June 18th, 2013, 07:05 PM
TTCMA Cheer Captain
It drives me nuts when people smoke near the entrance of a public place. Why should I have to walk my kids through a cloud of toxic smoke just to get into a store or restaurant?!?

While we were on vacation I was sitting in a rocking chair outside Cracker Barrel feeding one baby while the other was in the stroller. DH and Claire were finishing up inside. A lady sat 2 chairs down from me and pulled out a pack of cigarettes and a lighter. What Why would she sit next to babies and do that? I asked her nicely to wait or move further down, explaining that they were preemies and I was concerned about their lungs. She was nice about it and moved down to the other end of the porch.

At my old office, building management posted signs that smoking within 25 feet of the entrance was prohibited...I wish all places would do that at a minimum!
Jinnah likes this.

Melissa & DH
IVF babies Claire (3), Abigail (1) and George (1)

June 19th, 2013, 03:42 AM
yashobo's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Oh, don't get me started. I don't smoke because I don't like the smell so don't see why someone else should inflict the smell on me. At least there is some law about how far you have to be to a public building in the US; here no such law exists. I work at a department of health and people stand right at the front of the building and smoke! DH picked me up from the airport once and asked whether I have started smoking; that was how much I stank of smoke from waiting 10 minutes for him infront of the airport! Like, if you think it is bad in the US, don't even think of visiting here. I was at a farmers' market with kiddies animal farm and train tour recently and was standing outside with Luyando while DH and dd1 climbed some structure. These men came and stood right next to me and started smoking; I just moved away from them because I doubt if people that stupid to come and stand right next to a baby to smoke have any brain cells left to understand and not get offended if I ask them to move away. I have nothing against smokers; my father smoked for 60+ years but I just want smokers to respect non-smokers and not inflict their negative externalities on us.
Jinnah likes this.

Sisters, friends forever
June 19th, 2013, 09:50 AM
October 2012 PR Co-Host
Okay, I guess I'm not the only one who hates it, LOL. Do you encounter smokers on a daily basis? I'm starting to wonder if there is a smoking problem around here, or if I'm just noticing it more because I really want to avoid it right now. Some days I can go out and not see a smoker, but most of the times we go out, someone is smoking. I hate it.

I just can't understand people smoking near other people, especially babies and children. I just want to yell at them, but I just keep it to myself and get away as fast as possible.

Actually, I just remembered this one time where DH and I were out with all four children and I smelled it. I said loudly that people should not smoke around babies and children and how rude it is. DH kinda embarrassed because he thinks they heard, but they need to!
June 19th, 2013, 05:15 PM
NewGurl's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
unhelthy? in my opinion no it takes 30 seconds to pass a smoker if it were someone you lived with maybe differnt but in a parking lot the air itself probablly has more wrong with it then the cig

paraniod? not really its still annoying...... this where im going to differ from most everyone else though. I quit smokeing when I found out I was pregnant and even when I did smoke I tried to be conscious of not doing so near children but to be perfectly honest especily in a busy location it is impossible to not smoke near someone. and its just as annoying for the smoker constantly being told to go away.

It is just as much a right for a smoker to smoke as it is for you to not smoke and in my opinion if you dont want to be near smokers its just as much your responsibility not to go near them as it is theirs to consider who they are near. freedom covers even the things you dont like I cant stand being near cigaretts anymore. as an ex pack a day smoker the smell drives me crazy but im not going to be angry or insulted that someone who still smokes is enjoying there cig. its there cig and its their right to smoke it. I do avoid it most the time when I can but it does not bother me that the person has the nerve to smoke only that i personly no longer enjoy being near it.

June 20th, 2013, 04:04 AM
yashobo's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I actually disagree with that. Some of the situations I have encountered the person is walking infront of me and the wind is blowing their smoke back. I can bet I am getting more of the smoke than they are. I have literally had to run to be ahead of them or cross to the other side of the road. My not smoking will not contribute to anyone's sickness whereas research has shown that second hand smoking is harmful. So, I think it is the responsible thing for a smoker to not expose other's to their smoke. In the city where I work, I am constantly bombarded by other's smoke whenever I step outside of my office door. Couple of seconds of this several times a day, a week, a month, adds up. It is their choice to smoke but I shouldn't have to get cancer from it. It's not like me breathing beside them will make them sick! So I respect their choice and freewill but they should respect my health!

Sisters, friends forever
June 20th, 2013, 09:56 AM
October 2012 PR Co-Host
Quote:
Originally Posted by yashobo View Post
I actually disagree with that. Some of the situations I have encountered the person is walking infront of me and the wind is blowing their smoke back. I can bet I am getting more of the smoke than they are. I have literally had to run to be ahead of them or cross to the other side of the road. My not smoking will not contribute to anyone's sickness whereas research has shown that second hand smoking is harmful. So, I think it is the responsible thing for a smoker to not expose other's to their smoke. In the city where I work, I am constantly bombarded by other's smoke whenever I step outside of my office door. Couple of seconds of this several times a day, a week, a month, adds up. It is their choice to smoke but I shouldn't have to get cancer from it. It's not like me breathing beside them will make them sick! So I respect their choice and freewill but they should respect my health!
Right. Second hand smoke is harmful to other people. Cancer, asthma, SIDS... all things that second hand smoke contributes to. No one has a right to harm someone else for their rights. That doesn't even make sense.

People have the right to smoke, but not the right to harm others. Move away from other people. Go where it can't hurt someone else.

Jesus loving, SAHM to four children.
June 20th, 2013, 03:06 PM
jlstebbins's Avatar *Super*Mega*Mommy*
It really irritates me when people do that!! Oh boy it makes me sooo mad!!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search