Breastfeeding mamas check-in

Forum: October 2012 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree11Likes
  • 1 Post By doremi
  • 1 Post By Summerdays12
  • 1 Post By NewGurl
  • 1 Post By jlstebbins
  • 1 Post By Mich05
  • 1 Post By bryan and nina
  • 1 Post By myfavoriteshoes
  • 1 Post By JillMama
  • 1 Post By yashobo
  • 1 Post By Belita
  • 1 Post By AltMommy

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To October 2012 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 19th, 2013, 10:32 AM
October 2012 PR Co-Host
How long are you going to breastfeed? Do you supplement with bottles? Ever use formula? Do you mix baby cereal with BM? Any issues? How often do you breastfeed?

I will breastfeed for a full year. I usually start the weaning process at 12 months and have completely stopped by 13 or 14 months.

I have not been able to supplement with bottles. I pumped some breastmilk and tried to give it to Elijah in a bottle. He took a few sips and threw a HUGE fit and refused to drink anymore from the bottle. Haven't tried since.

After that, my pump broke, and it took me a little while to get a new one. I was so busy that I just finally got it sterilized and ready to use (the plugged milk duct prompted me a lot). I will now start mixing Elijah's cereal with breastmilk instead of using water.

We can't use formula since we tried mixing that in with cereal and it caused profuse vomiting.

Elijah breastfeeds a lot. Every few hours throughout the day and night. We were up to two solid feedings (baby food in a jar) per day, but since he got sick with RSV, we are exclusively breastfeeding until he gets better.

Jesus loving, SAHM to four children.

Last edited by Jinnah; June 19th, 2013 at 06:52 PM.
June 19th, 2013, 03:59 PM
doremi's Avatar Team Blue Mama of Two
Still bf-ing every 2-3 hours round the clock. I plan to bf as long as he wants to nurse, although, if he nurses beyond age 2, I will night wean. DS1 nursed for 41 months, but his final year, he was only nursing first thing in the morning and before bed. If Jamison is one who keeps demanding to nurse throughout the day as a toddler, I will initiate day weaning and only nurse at naptime, bedtime and 1st thing in the morning when he gets beyond age 2.
Jinnah likes this.

June 19th, 2013, 05:43 PM
Summerdays12's Avatar Erin&Aaron's1st!
Going great! Nursing every two hours. No formula and will have an occasional bottle of BM. I would like to wean at a year.
Jinnah likes this.

June 19th, 2013, 07:25 PM
NewGurl's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
no formula stooped using pumped milk around 3 months he started refusing bottles on his own accord. so we are boobie only now except solids of couse which we started at 6 months.

he still nurses about every 3 hours Ill problly let him self wean I may revisit that idea if we are still going at 3 idk what decision id make only the time will tell.

I was told to mix ceral in his bottles becuse of his reflux when he was little and I was EPing but never did. After i started solids I did make one batch of oatmeal cereal with BM but he hated it which is saying alot cuz the kids favorite food is baby spinich.
Jinnah likes this.

June 20th, 2013, 09:58 AM
October 2012 PR Co-Host
What do all of you mix the cereal with?

June 20th, 2013, 01:35 PM
jlstebbins's Avatar *Super*Mega*Mommy*
Breastfeeding here also! I plan on weaning around a year and be fully done by 13 months or possibly 14 months if need be.

Its going great and haven't ever had an issue. I feel lucky!

Coleson isn't eating cereal. But when we tried, I used water or breastmilk. Breastmilk is more nutritious forsure.
Jinnah likes this.

June 20th, 2013, 07:16 PM
Mich05's Avatar Veteran
Still breastfeeding here too! Mathieu does occasionally get formula though, if i am away for a feeding and there is no breastmilk in the freezer he gets formula. we buy the good start ready to serve portions. I mostly mix his cereal with water but sometimes breastmilk. When my supply depleted for a while in January he was getting a lot of formula, but we are back on track! I plan on breastfeeding until he is about 12 months starting the weaning at about 10.5 to 11 months. he still nurses every two hours during hte day and just recently has started waking only twice in the night to nurse!!
Jinnah likes this.
June 21st, 2013, 04:19 AM
bryan and nina's Avatar Love being a mommy!
Still going strong here too!!

She gets a couple of spoon fulls of purée a day but it's a struggle. She is not interested!
She gets on bottle of pumped milk a day, when she's at work with me. Recently, she's started rejecting the bottle just a little... She will chew on it and play with it and it takes me a while to get her to focus.
I plan on letting her self wean whenever she's ready.
Jinnah likes this.

June 22nd, 2013, 07:05 AM
myfavoriteshoes's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Skype™ to myfavoriteshoes
Still BFing every 2-3hrs round the clock (even more at nighttime). No supplementing as I never have time between feeds to pump lol

I will keep going for as long as he will, but I'm hoping we reach the 2yr milkstone first. We are also doing BLW for solids so he's in charge of when he weans and how much/when he eats now.
Jinnah likes this.

June 22nd, 2013, 03:50 PM
JillMama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Going great here!!! Jett still nurses great, and takes a bottle at daycare and from daddy when I'm at work. I have never used any formula, I mix his oatmeal with a little water and mix in some baby food =)
Jinnah likes this.

Jett 10/11/12 7lb 14.5oz 20.5in long
June 23rd, 2013, 04:05 AM
yashobo's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Still breastfeeding here; she drinks breastmilk from the bottle when I am not around and for some of her night feeding. Plan to start weaning at 11 months and be over at 1yr; I may or may not do night nursing past age 1. We'll see. I mix her cereal with apple sauce most times; she also eats 3 jars of baby food; one for breakfast, one for lunch, and one for dinner.
Jinnah likes this.

Sisters, friends forever
June 25th, 2013, 07:21 PM
Belita's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Still going strong here, too! Nursing every 3-4 hours but sometimes cluster feeding. At night he'll sometimes go 6 hours. No formula since he was 2 weeks old and rarely gets bottles, but he will take them and will drink from a straw cup. I plan to nurse until 1 year and will probably go to a "don't offer, don't refuse" type system after that. I have a large stash of frozen milk that I plan to use with him when weaning.
Jinnah likes this.

June 30th, 2013, 04:09 PM
AltMommy's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
How long are you going to breastfeed? Do you supplement with bottles? Ever use formula? Do you mix baby cereal with BM? Any issues? How often do you breastfeed?

My goal is 18 months.. I'd be happy going to two years.
He only has one or two bottles a week.. When my mom babysits for 2 or 3 hours. Only pumped breast milk, no formula.
No issues, he latched on great right at birth and has been good ever since!
He breastfeeds ALL night long. Literally switches from one to the other non-stop with a few short breaks. During the day he nurses every two hours.
Jinnah likes this.

July 1st, 2013, 09:46 AM
October 2012 PR Co-Host
Quote:
Originally Posted by AltMommy View Post

My goal is 18 months.. I'd be happy going to two years.
He only has one or two bottles a week.. When my mom babysits for 2 or 3 hours. Only pumped breast milk, no formula.
No issues, he latched on great right at birth and has been good ever since!
He breastfeeds ALL night long. Literally switches from one to the other non-stop with a few short breaks. During the day he nurses every two hours.
Elijah is doing the same thing. I feel like it's increasing every night! If he wakes up or stirs from his sleep (which is often), he has to eat to fall back to sleep!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search