Anyone reading anything?

Forum: October 2012 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By KMH

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To October 2012 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 9th, 2013, 06:09 PM
October 2012 PR Co-Host
I just checked out five books from the library... we'll see if I get to read them. I also just opened up my OverDrive account again. I love checking out digital books.

What are you reading? Anything good? I would love some suggestions. Tell me your favorite books!

Jesus loving, SAHM to four children.
July 9th, 2013, 06:12 PM
LoverlyJules's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I read young adult novels so that I can lend them to my students. I love Hunger Games series and The Maze Runner series.

July 9th, 2013, 06:20 PM
TTCMA Cheer Captain
I just got a Kindle for my birthday last week This is my first e-reader of any kind, so I'm ready to dive back into reading...I have missed it!

I just finished "The Well Trained Mind: A Guide to a Classical Education at Home." I'm trying to narrow down what I want to do for homeschooling my kiddos, and this gave me a lot of ideas and things to consider.

As soon as I get the house in order and take my bath I'm going to start "Just Take My Heart" by Mary Higgins Clark. She is one of my favorite authors, and I'm ready to read something just for fun.

I'll be following this thread for ideas!

Melissa & DH
IVF babies Claire (4), Abigail (2) and George (2)

July 9th, 2013, 07:54 PM
bostoncreampie's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to bostoncreampie
I'm still reading The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks for pleasure and Unconditional Parenting and recommend both.
July 10th, 2013, 12:29 AM
6 Girls and 4 Boys
Quote:
Originally Posted by KMH View Post
I just got a Kindle for my birthday last week This is my first e-reader of any kind, so I'm ready to dive back into reading...I have missed it!

I just finished "The Well Trained Mind: A Guide to a Classical Education at Home." I'm trying to narrow down what I want to do for homeschooling my kiddos, and this gave me a lot of ideas and things to consider.

As soon as I get the house in order and take my bath I'm going to start "Just Take My Heart" by Mary Higgins Clark. She is one of my favorite authors, and I'm ready to read something just for fun.

Just wanted to add after 16 years of homeschooling. The book The well trained mind is over kill for a first time new homeschooler. But its an excellent read with many wonderful ideas . But that is way way to much to do. I did what she said to do my second year homeschooling and almost threw in the towel. You need a 15 hour day to do all she says to do in a day just for school.However Susan Wise Baur the author is so nice in person and warm and her support group is very helpful.I have used her writing curriculum off and on for several years for older crew.
May I recommend some books to read on many different ways to school at home including classical,Charlotte Mason,Eclectic,and sooo many others?

Last edited by babymama10; July 10th, 2013 at 12:32 AM.
July 10th, 2013, 12:38 AM
6 Girls and 4 Boys
Quote:

Just wanted to add after 16 years of homeschooling. The book The well trained mind is over kill for a first time new homeschooler. But its an excellent read with many wonderful ideas . But that is way way to much to do. I did what she said to do my second year homeschooling and almost threw in the towel. You need a 15 hour day to do all she says to do in a day just for school.
May I recommend some books to read on many different ways to school at home including Classical,Charlotte Mason,Eclectic,Traditional,Unit Study,Unschooling,Independent learning, and so many more ways can be so much to take in.
You are very very smart to start learning everything you can before you are knee deep in over your head and burn out.
July 10th, 2013, 08:47 AM
TTCMA Cheer Captain
Quote:
Originally Posted by babymama10 View Post
May I recommend some books to read on many different ways to school at home including Classical,Charlotte Mason,Eclectic,Traditional,Unit Study,Unschooling,Independent learning, and so many more ways can be so much to take in.
You are very very smart to start learning everything you can before you are knee deep in over your head and burn out.
Yes Yes! I will take any and all advice I can get The Well-Trained Mind book is definitely overwhelming. The ideas seem great, but I'm not sure how I could ever fit it all in for 3 kids and keep up with everything else. It seems like a lot to take on, especially since I have never done this before and am not a teacher by trade.

I'm ready to take notes

Melissa & DH

July 10th, 2013, 10:20 AM
October 2012 PR Co-Host
Do either of you visit The Well Trained Mind forum?

July 10th, 2013, 11:29 AM
TTCMA Cheer Captain
Jinnah, I have the site opened in another tab I was Googling to find reviews of some Jr. K curriculum from Memoria Press and found one there! I haven't had too much time to play yet, but it looks like I'll be able to find a lot more info and ideas.

Melissa & DH

July 10th, 2013, 12:12 PM
October 2012 PR Co-Host
Quote:
Jinnah, I have the site opened in another tab I was Googling to find reviews of some Jr. K curriculum from Memoria Press and found one there! I haven't had too much time to play yet, but it looks like I'll be able to find a lot more info and ideas.
LOL, I'm on there, too. I just started a couple of library threads!

July 10th, 2013, 08:52 PM
MommyofAngels1985's Avatar Veteran
Checked out 8 books last Monday (350-450 page books), On my sixth one now . Johanna Lindsey is the Author. Picking up 7 more tomorrow by another favorite author!

July 11th, 2013, 05:17 AM
TTCMA Cheer Captain
I downloaded a bunch of classics last night...it is amazing how many e-books are free or 99 cents! I know they are free at the library, too, but having them at my fingertips whenever I get the whim is really great
Jinnah likes this.

Melissa & DH

July 11th, 2013, 09:04 AM
October 2012 PR Co-Host
I still haven't had a chance to start the books I checked out!

July 11th, 2013, 09:10 AM
TTCMA Cheer Captain
It is hard to find time to read, and usually when I do it is at night when I should be sleeping! So many books and so little time

Melissa & DH

July 11th, 2013, 11:18 AM
Mich05's Avatar Veteran
i LOVE books and used to read all the time... my hubby bugs me that i need to sort through and get rid of books. While on our holiday i actually found time to read The Help. it was my first book in a long time and i truly enjoyed it!
July 11th, 2013, 03:52 PM
Pageturner
I just finished Deadlocked, from the sookie stackhouse series by Charlaine Harris. I have 2 left in that series. I am now reading Rapture, from the Fallen series by Lauren Kate. I am also reading a full-length fanfic called James Potter, about Harry Potter's son. He has 3 full-length fanfics and they are GREAT! The fourth one is being written. I have SO many series i'm reading it's ridiculous.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search