Breast pumps

Forum: October 2012 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To October 2012 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 6th, 2013, 11:32 PM
doremi's Avatar Team Blue Mama of Two
Just thought I would post this in case anybody else could benefit! So, when Jamison was in the nicu, they had me pumping on a hospital grade pump until he was able to nurse. I was given a sterile Medela kit with all the tubing to connect to the pump. The LC showed me what I needed to pump with the hospital pump, and the rest of the kit got tossed in a bag and thrown in a closet at home. Until this week. Another mom on a buy/sell/trade site I am a part of on FB was selling her Medela kit, and mentioned that it had a hand pump included. I CAN'T BELIEVE I DIDN'T KNOW THIS!!! Here I had been wanting one to stash in my purse or the car for those rare occasions when I *might* be gone long enough to need to pump. And, on top of it all, it appears my body is responding better to the hand pump than the electric pump at this point. I tend to have a much harder time expressing milk after the 6 month mark, and I was able to get 2.5 oz today with the hand pump! So, if like me, you didn't pay attention to what was in your Medela hospital pumping kit, pull that sucker back out!!

August 7th, 2013, 02:03 AM
NewGurl's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
yeah if its like mine there was a long plastic cylinder that snaped onto the hospital grade pump....... that is your hand pump its like a old handheld bycycle pump.

I will say though for me I had a terriable time trying to actually use the thing most storebought hand pumps have those triggers but this one your trying to hold the flanges in place with your forearms while you hold the outer cylinder with one hand. then you grab a little knob at the end of the inner cylinder with your other hand and littlerally pump. it was better then nothing especilly when my cheapy nuk pump burned out after like 5 days of use while Connor was still in the isolet but I lasted about a day (pumping every 3 hours) before I actully pulled my shoulder and started begging my family for an better electric pump.

on the other hand Im still glad I keep the whole kit since my family all pitched in and got me a PIS I ended up with 3 full sets of pump parts without ever buying any since all medelas stuff is interchangeable.

August 7th, 2013, 04:34 AM
yashobo's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
When I had dd1 they gave me that long cylindrical one but with Luyando they gave me the one you press together, which I find easier to use, and another cylindrical one. I use both the manual the hospital gave me and the advanced style that I bought as the occasion demands. I also have a mini electric. I used to take either the manual or the mini electric (or both) to work.

Sisters, friends forever
August 8th, 2013, 12:21 AM
doremi's Avatar Team Blue Mama of Two
I have a Lansinoh double electric, but I've been losing suction with it since I've never replaced some of those smaller parts you are supposed to replace periodically. I very rarely pump as I very rarely need to give a bottle. I figure I'll use the hand held one for now, since I'm getting more milk expressed with it. I don't find it hard to hold and pump, but my arm DOES get tired from pumping, so if I was doing it regularly, it definitely wouldn't be a great fit. It's perfect for the occasional pumping session though.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search