Opinion: Are we sharing too much online?

Forum: October 2012 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree5Likes
  • 2 Post By hiskid1324
  • 1 Post By yashobo
  • 2 Post By Belita

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To October 2012 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 17th, 2013, 09:04 PM
bostoncreampie's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to bostoncreampie
I read this article earlier today and thought it would be an interesting discussion.

Opinion: Are we sharing too much online? - CNN.com

I haven't followed this specific case, but I thought it had an interesting perspective on Facebook and Twitter and how much personal information people so freely share there without reservation.

Do you agree that people cross the line? Or do you not find it unusual? Have you received any dramatic news from family or friend via Facebook?

I tend to be more old school and have a love hate relationship with Facebook. I just feel like it's so convenient that there is no filter for what people put out there. It's way too easy to get sucked in and before you know it you're talking about your most private issues casually.

I actually deleted my FB account 2 years ago because of this- I just felt like I wasn't calling or emailing people as much as I was with Facebook. It was a great break, I am sort of tempted to do it again.

I haven't received that much personal information from friends or family aside from pregnancies. Kind of sad that people don't get more creative with that nowadays.
August 17th, 2013, 09:53 PM
LoverlyJules's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I'm not sure. I'll admit, I'm a bit of a FB addict. I do think social media can be a worthwhile support system that people might not otherwise have access to. However, it's also been documented that FB can lead to depression and a hopeless desire to live up to the "perfect" life that your "friends" seem to have.

August 18th, 2013, 12:01 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I don't share anything online that I don't regret, I guess. Most of my friends on FB are family or friends from HS or you guys. If I don't want to share photos or something ... i just don't do it.

August 18th, 2013, 07:41 AM
October 2012 PR Co-Host
I think a lot of people share too much online. I like to stay a little more private.

Jesus loving, SAHM to four children.
August 18th, 2013, 10:24 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I think a lot of people share way too much with the facebook world. I also think that social media in general has drastically, and negatively in many cases, affected interpersonal relationships.

It didn't used to be so simple to just text someone. We used to write letters, wait 2 weeks for the reply. There was a lot of thought put into the writing, and beautiful penmanship was considered important. Now we can email and have an answer usually within 24 hours, or text and get an answer within an hour!

Facebook and Twitter, etc. allow a lot of interaction with a wide range of people in a very public arena, and many things are put on them that are unnecessary, including the venting of frustrations for the whole world to see, pictures of children (girls), even 5 years old half naked.

I am very quiet on my personal facebook page, and usually all that gets posted is the occasional conversation with one of my children. I don't like putting many pictures, any news, etc on there, because it is easy too public, and I honestly think it gives people a false sense of connection, because they know ABOUT me, but they don't actually interact with me most of the time. I mean, seriously, if I deleted everyone I don't regularly directly communicate with on my facebook I bet I would have less than 50 people left on my friend list!
Belita and babymama10 like this.
August 18th, 2013, 11:51 AM
yashobo's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I think some people hide behind social media and make it their life, and they often end up sharing too much. I don't do facebook nor would I share really personal or private thing on the internet.
babymama10 likes this.

Sisters, friends forever
August 18th, 2013, 04:19 PM
Belita's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I share a lot of FB but that's mostly because our closest family is 1.5 hours away and everyone wants updates on Sean and it's so much quicker and easier than e-mail. I've become a lot more picky about who I have on my friends list and should go through and remove people again. I should also make use of the different friends lists more often but FB has made it so difficult to keep up with that!

I try to just make sure that the things I share are things that are okay if they get spread. I have had friends post about their husbands' vasectomies and those sorts of things and that's too much!
bostoncreampie and Zukin like this.

August 18th, 2013, 08:17 PM
6 Girls and 4 Boys
I do not have a Facebook account. For one of my husbands companies he had to create a company facebook. I use it to lurk here and there. And I have read things that are awful. I am sad to say that most of the ones I read seemed to me like a diary. My dh and I laugh at the pictures that people post DAILY of THEMSELVES doing simple things like grocery shopping, swimming,eating at a place. OMG!! These people are in there 30-60's! WOW. We call it "peacock syndrome" They way we see the pictures of people its like they are shouting, "look at me eat here" and "look at what I am wearing" and "look at me" and "look at me" Etc.. etc. Its crazy..
I believe in posting a pic here and there of a craft you made or something your kids did or pics of the kids or whatever. But soooo may of themselves doing stupid crap. And then the million lying comments under their pictures of people saying, "you look so great" or "you look so hot" .. And they just do this day after day of such stupid random nothingness. LOL And these are grownups! I now call family members and talk on the phone because it hurts me and makes me sad for them to see them on their facebook. Anyone know what I mean? And the amount of time they are on those things is nuts.

UPDATE: I thought about what I said here and feel I may have hurt some feelings here. Yes, i do agree Facebook has many advantages especially for family that lives far away and some people especially handicap people and people with severe social anxiety. However I mean in general "some" of the ones I read were awful with selfish motives and don't care about the gossip they spread based on their lies about just wanting to have some "news" to type is stupid.And t people get to complacent and tell wayyyyyyyyyy to much online. DH and I feel the government does not need the nsa to spy on Americans as long as there is Facebook. You can tell almost always who a person is and where they live and who their FAMILY is and all their habits. You can tell where they have been and where they are going. Thats not really smart in today's world. I have read a friends who is not private but its done very ...how should I say?? "tasteful?" Social media has its place but in general I think most people share way to much online.

Last edited by babymama10; August 19th, 2013 at 05:53 PM.
August 18th, 2013, 11:40 PM
doremi's Avatar Team Blue Mama of Two
I am quite careful about who I friend on FB. And I'm careful not to share anything that I'd be embarrassed by later. I have been too open about certain things in the past on the JM public forums, and am being more selective about what I post here now.

I have found social media to be extremely beneficial for my career (keeping in contact with other musician friends all over the country), and for building my personal business. It is my primary mode of advertisement for my Music Together business (we have several local parenting groups on FB that I advertise through). It's also great from an archival standpoint. I upload most of my pics of the kids to my FB album, and then can easily create shutterfly books straight from those albums once or twice a year.

But yes, I get that social media has a downside. I'm just old enough that I didn't grow up with it as part of my young adult years. My younger cousins are OBSESSED with it. Posting selfies all the time, sharing mundane stupid things. And my 19 year old cousin actually shared "I'm gunna be a mommy" on FB before even telling her extended family. She later deleted the post and sent an email apologizing for not breaking the news to all of us in a more mature way.

August 19th, 2013, 01:05 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by babymama10 View Post
I do not have a Facebook account. For one of my husbands companies he had to create a company facebook. I use it to lurk here and there. And I have read things that are awful. I am sad to say that most of the ones I read seemed to me like a diary. My dh and I laugh at the pictures that people post DAILY of THEMSELVES doing simple things like grocery shopping, swimming,eating at a place. OMG!! These people are in there 30-60's! WOW. We call it "peacock syndrome" They way we see the pictures of people its like they are shouting, "look at me eat here" and "look at what I am wearing" and "look at me" and "look at me" Etc.. etc. Its crazy..
I believe in posting a pic here and there of a craft you made or something your kids did or pics of the kids or whatever. But soooo may of themselves doing stupid crap. And then the million lying comments under their pictures of people saying, "you look so great" or "you look so hot" .. And they just do this day after day of such stupid random nothingness. LOL And these are grownups! I now call family members and talk on the phone because it hurts me and makes me sad for them to see them on their facebook. Anyone know what I mean? And the amount of time they are on those things is nuts.
Aw, I actuallly post my "check ins" regularly, lol peacock thats great lol

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search