Therapy

Forum: October 2012 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By KMH

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To October 2012 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 18th, 2013, 05:59 PM
bostoncreampie's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to bostoncreampie
I recently got in to a discussion about therapy with a friend. She goes every week and recommends it to everyone. She's not the only friend I know who goes long term for no serious pathological problems.

How do you feel about that? Does anyone here attend therapy on a regular basis? (if you feel comfortable sharing) Do you think that going would create more problems than really exist?

The last time I went to therapy was when I was working on my masters in counseling and we were all encouraged to go. I personally did not clique with the therapist so I did not enjoy it. I would have been more comfortable with a woman.

I am intrigued in finding someone to talk to now. It would need to be a counselor or social workers. Psychologists and psychiatrists get too eager to diagnose, IMO.
August 18th, 2013, 06:04 PM
LoverlyJules's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I regularly see a therapist. She is a licensed counselor who specializes in art therapy (although I've never really explored that with her). I see her about once every 3-4 weeks. I think it does help. She was instrumental in getting me hooked up with a doctor for my PPD/anxiety. I don't necessarily think EVERYONE needs to go, but it can be beneficial.

August 18th, 2013, 06:07 PM
How did you figure that every 3-4 weeks was a good routine? Insurance purposes? Art therapists seem to be very down to earth. There are about 4 in the moms group I run!
August 18th, 2013, 06:23 PM
NewGurl's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I personally hate the idea of therapists im not saying they are useless I know several ppl wwho find them beneficial but for me they are a no go.

i was sent to a school counselor a few times when i was younger by teachers for various resons mostly they thought something had to be wrong with my life becuse i cuss alot & I also went through a counsling program and a few counsling sesions at my college when i was about 19.

it allways just rubbed me the wrong way they sitt there and just judge you iv got plenty of freinds and familly that are will step up for that job thanks. if you openly and honestly say look i know im doing things wrong here im a lil lost i need some guidence what should i do? then they wont even help you becuse you need to have your own awnsers. well if i had the awnsers i whouldnt be in your flippin office and if you refuse to guide ppl you shouldnt be called a guidence counsler. its just a game you give them the riht awnsers you win doesnt matter whats really happening and if their getting payed yyoull allways get just enough right to feel good when you leave and just ennough wrong to need to come back.

Last edited by NewGurl; August 18th, 2013 at 06:29 PM.
August 18th, 2013, 06:55 PM
Belita's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I think the right person can be a good fit. I had a great counselor who offered advice and gave me things to work on. It took a few tries to find him and I didn't hit it off with everyone. I'm not sure I'd go to one forever, unless I had a significant enough medical issue because I think the ultimate goal of therapy is to get you functioning well enough that you don't need the help and outlet.

August 18th, 2013, 08:15 PM
My therapist lets me be in charge of my schedule. My insurance pays for a set number of visits, not necessarily how often. I usually schedule it based on how things are going for school/life and it usually just averages out to about once a month.

August 19th, 2013, 10:39 AM
yashobo's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I haven't been to a therapist but dh and I have been to a marriage counselor couple of years back. Not for long; maybe 4-6 sessions. I found it helpful.

Sisters, friends forever
August 19th, 2013, 04:24 PM
October 2012 PR Co-Host
If someone needs it, I think it could help (if they find the right one). I don't see the point in going just to go.

Jesus loving, SAHM to four children.
August 19th, 2013, 04:48 PM
The point is to work on self betterment I think. Everyone has stress and areas that could use improvement. I think lots of people go to better themselves in general and be one more peaceful, more present, more mindful etc.
August 19th, 2013, 06:37 PM
lovely.carlie's Avatar MaKinslie's Mommy
When I was 13 years old I was put in a "48 hour lockdown" (Can last wayyyy longer than that btw) at a local hospital for troubled teens. When you are released they recommend seeing a therapist weekly to help resolve personal and family issues. They assigned me to a guy that I KNEW I would not like so I pointed at a middle aged guy that had taught some of the classes in lock down and told them that he was to be my therapist.
He was awesome! I love therapy and when I was going my family and I got along so great. My therapist was really great about explaining why certain behaviors were not okay in terms that hit home with me and taught me how to work through things in my head. He had me bring CDs in to show him what I was listening to and we had family therapy during one half of the session. Unfortunately medicaid stopped covering my therapy with him and I had to attend with a different therapist who I just did not feel was someone I could tell things to, so I quit going at 16.
I think therapy can be very beneficial if you feel life gets very hectic, you just need to find a therapist who you can connect with and who communicates with you really well. Even if you don't "need" it every so often, it's nice to get out your feelings to someone who doesn't take sides.

August 21st, 2013, 08:21 AM
bryan and nina's Avatar Love being a mommy!
I'd like to go... I definitely think I could benefit a lot from it. I get really bad anxiety about things; right now it's about leaving home to go visit y family... Something I should be happy about! But all that's in my mind is all the bad things that could happen. I hate feeling this way! Maybe this thread will give me the push to go seek out someone but honestly part of the issue is, that I think I'd feel weird talking with a stranger and I don't want to be told I need to take medicine; I don't think my anxiety is that bad! I can live with it...
Dh and I did marriage counseling sessions before we got married; the revered recommended it for everyone she weds and I actually enjoyed it! Dh, not so much I think. Lol. He's less open to things like that.

August 21st, 2013, 09:27 AM
TTCMA Cheer Captain
During years 3-7 of our marriage, DH was deployed more than half of the time. When he was home it was easier to just push problems aside because we wanted to enjoy the time we had! When he finally was home for a longer stretch, we realized that we didn't know how to communicate at all anymore. We didn't know how to resolve conflicts in a healthy way, and we were just kind of lost and didn't know how to reconnect after so much time apart.

We ended up seeing a counselor, and it was AWESOME! It wasn't a sit-on-the-couch-and-tell-me-about-your-childhood kind of counselor at all. We learned how to argue effectively, how to communicate, and how to set goals for our relationship. We got-together as kids (14 and 17) and in so many ways we were still very immature...the counseling helped us connect and function as adults in a mature relationship, and it was probably the best thing we have ever done.

I think the right therapist/counselor can be really helpful and, especially in a marriage, an "outsider" with no emotional connection to a situation can be great at seeing things that you just can't see when you're in the middle of it.
Belita likes this.

Melissa & DH
IVF babies Claire (4), Abigail (2) and George (2)

August 21st, 2013, 11:23 AM
Nina - you just have to find the right therapist. My therapist never once brought up medicine until my PPD issues and I had already been seeing her for a couple years.

August 21st, 2013, 11:48 AM
TTCMA Cheer Captain
I agree with Jessica...the right therapist will give you tools to manage your anxiety and not push pills.

Melissa & DH
IVF babies Claire (4), Abigail (2) and George (2)

August 21st, 2013, 07:44 PM
bryan and nina's Avatar Love being a mommy!
Thanks. I think I'll check with our insurance to see if it's covered.
Melissa, that sounds so hard! It make total sense what you said about pushing problems to the background so you can enjoy the little time you had with each other... I'm glad you found a good counselor that helped!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search