Switching to Cow's Milk?

Forum: October 2012 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree7Likes
  • 3 Post By KMH
  • 1 Post By LoverlyJules
  • 1 Post By bostoncreampie
  • 1 Post By hiskid1324
  • 1 Post By KMH

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To October 2012 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 6th, 2013, 12:09 PM
TTCMA Cheer Captain
As our babies approach or pass their first birthday, who will be switching their babies to cow's milk? Or maybe you are switching to something else? What are your plans?

I started giving the twins 50% cow's milk and 50% formula this past week...they haven't noticed and I haven't noticed any reactions. We have a can and a half of formula left, and then they'll just drink whole milk only. I am SUPER EXCITED about not spending $26 a can on formula anymore

Melissa & DH
IVF babies Claire (4), Abigail (2) and George (2)

September 6th, 2013, 01:19 PM
NewGurl's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
i was planning to give him milk ever since my supply has started to drop from my pregnancy (I was going to keep nurseing as well but i dont belive hes getting much at this point) but he refuses to take any form of milk BM formula or cows from bottles sippys or cups so it appers Im just going to continue to nurse untill he self weans and hope other sources of food can keep his nutriants up at least untill my milk comes back in.

September 6th, 2013, 06:07 PM
LoverlyJules's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Honestly, I'm a little grossed out by cow's milk ever since I started BF. And that surprises me A LOT because I used to drink milk all the time!

As far as Madalyn, I'm not sure. DH has said he's fine with giving Madalyn almond milk, but he doesn't want to avoid cow's milk all together. He wants her to be exposed to both.

We still have time to think ... she won't eat food if I'm around ... she's a nursing machine when she's with me!
bostoncreampie likes this.

September 6th, 2013, 10:17 PM
Summerdays12's Avatar Erin&Aaron's1st!
Jonah is allergic to cows milk. Eventually he will drink almond milk but not sure when. I plan to continue nursing for a while longe?

September 7th, 2013, 06:51 AM
yashobo's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I am beginning to think about the transition since Luyando turns 1 at the end of the month and we don't have much stash left in the freezer. I nurse and still pum (pumping as I write) but I cut down on production so not making much plus I am ready to be done. So, we'll probably start half-half by mid month and be on full by her first birthday!

Sisters, friends forever
September 7th, 2013, 07:07 AM
myfavoriteshoes's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Skype™ to myfavoriteshoes
We plan to be nursing on demand for as long as possible but slowly introducing almond or hemp milk into his diet after 12 months old (around Halloween-ish).

September 7th, 2013, 07:11 AM
bryan and nina's Avatar Love being a mommy!
I haven't given it much thought. Do you have to introduce milk of some sort?? I plan on letting her self wean so hopefully she will be nursing for a while.

September 7th, 2013, 08:29 AM
LoverlyJules's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryan and nina View Post
I haven't given it much thought. Do you have to introduce milk of some sort?? I plan on letting her self wean so hopefully she will be nursing for a while.
I'm confused too, Nina ... do they need to have some kind of milk? But if they don't and they are done nursing, do they just drink water then?? My pedi would prefer that Madalyn never has juice, so what's left??

September 7th, 2013, 09:17 AM
myfavoriteshoes's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Skype™ to myfavoriteshoes
No they don't... until they are down to less than 3 nursings a day, then you introduce a bm substitute like cows milk or dairy alternative milk.... But if they are getting at least 3-4 nursings a day, there is no point. breastmilk has more fat/protein content and more antibodies than any other milk out there so it is pointless to switch just because they are older. Ya know? you could be on bm only til 2-3yrs old as long as they are full on nursing sessions, at least 3 times a day.

My supply is low, and he is a snacker, so he will eventually need something on the side too... so around 15-18 months (i said 12 months earlier but that was just to say that i really wasnt gonna try BEFORE that 12 month mark, but planning on much later on) i will give him little sips here and there just to get him accustomed to something different. So I guess instead of water at meal times, he will be getting almond milk eventually.

September 7th, 2013, 12:59 PM
TTCMA Cheer Captain
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoverlyJules View Post
I'm confused too, Nina ... do they need to have some kind of milk? But if they don't and they are done nursing, do they just drink water then?? My pedi would prefer that Madalyn never has juice, so what's left??
I always thought that they did need some sort of milk once they weren't getting much breastmilk anymore. We don't do any juice, either, so Claire (turned 3 in July) drinks whole milk for breakfast and before her afternoon nap and gets water the rest of the time.

Melissa & DH

September 7th, 2013, 01:53 PM
NewGurl's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
the way I allways understood it is that babies need to be on breastmilk or formula for the first year.

after the first year they may continue breastmilk or formula or they may switch to whole cows milk (whole milk becuse growing bodies need the high fat content)

there are now tons of other options to...... goats milk hemp milk almond mlk soy milk ect but other then for those that have a dariy allergy I honestly dont understand the advantage of those personally they seem as if they be less nutritious and no more "natural" then cow milk save for maybe the goat milk.

but they do need to be on some form of milk (about 3 times a day i belive is the recommendation iv heard) untill at least 2 I believe allthough even adults should drink milk so theres no real reson to stop giveing it to them.

September 7th, 2013, 08:10 PM
bostoncreampie's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to bostoncreampie
Cows milk also grosses me out when nursing- I can't drink it myself while breastfeeding. The idea of stopping the production of my own milk so my baby can drink milk intended for a baby cow doesn't make any sort of sense to me, so it will be breastmilk and water until she is really cutting down on nursing and at that point I'll start introducing some sort of milk depending on how she responds physically. I'm guessing this will be closer to 1.5 yrs.
LoverlyJules likes this.
September 7th, 2013, 08:32 PM
Mega Super Mommy
My older kids get about 1/2 a cup of milk on average, mostly on the cereal, in a day. They eat cheese and yogurt, as well as plenty of veggies that are high-calcium. Our family doctor actually told me that they don't need any dairy products so long as I make sure their diets contain opportunity for high-calcium foods! Considering their dentist thinks their teeth are amazing and I must give them at least 3-4c of milk every day, I think that speaks well to solids being legitimate sources. They drink water 99% of the time. About 1/2c of juice once a week, and I guess around 3-4c of milk in a week. All other dairy is fermented or cooked into things.

As for Esther, she has had some milk, but not to drink, just on things. I can't get her to drink from a cup, so she'll not be drinking milk for a good while yet. She is still nursing 8-12 times (lol.... she's very consistent... NOT!) every day, so she isn't in need of extra calcium sources anyway.
myfavoriteshoes likes this.
September 8th, 2013, 09:25 AM
JillMama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
We were just talking about this in the FB group. I think I'll start introducing some kind of milk for the days I work, he gets two bottles a day on Tues Thurs and one bottle on Fri. They can't have nut anything at his daycare so almond or coconut are out =( I won't give him soy, since soy is not good for you, especially boys. I want to cut my 2x a day pumping to 1x a day after 12m. I figure I'll just mix milk with my bm for him to get at daycare, but still nurse as usual at home. I also only have about 15oz left in the freezer. I never have been a big producer when I pump.

Jett 10/11/12 7lb 14.5oz 20.5in long
September 9th, 2013, 06:59 PM
bryan and nina's Avatar Love being a mommy!
Thanks for the explanation!

I now understand it better why it seems like everyone starts pushing for the introduction of dairy around a year old. Since we are planning on letting her self wean, I guess she should be fine with her milkies for now.

September 9th, 2013, 07:57 PM
Belita's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I have a large freezer stash. I'm going to start offering EBM in a cup with meals, probably next month. Once we're down towards the end of the freezer stash I'll start mixing the BM with cow's milk. I'll also make sure to offer him dairy in other sources such as cheese and yogurt so he doesn't have to drink all his dairy.

September 9th, 2013, 08:02 PM
TTCMA Cheer Captain
Yogurt is huge in our house, too. I think all the kids would eat it for breakfast, lunch, and dinner if I let them
jlstebbins likes this.

Melissa & DH

September 9th, 2013, 08:30 PM
Belita's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
It's one thing I can count on Sean eating, too!

September 10th, 2013, 06:20 PM
jlstebbins's Avatar *Super*Mega*Mommy*
I am still breast feeding Coleson 3x a day, sometimes 4. We have introduced cows milk in a sippy cup! He tends to like it and is doing great. I dont plan on cutting breastfeeding for awhile, but getting Coleson used to cows milk is what we are trying to do!

September 12th, 2013, 07:18 PM
Mich05's Avatar Veteran
I have introduced cow's milk and will be starting to do half formula and half cow's milk in the next week. we still nurse only once per day in the early morning. and he takes 3 bottles of formula per day. so far he isn't a fan of milk so mixing it with formula will hopefully be the answer! he has also been "drinking" water for several months, he puts it in his mouth from the sippy cup then spits most of it out....

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search