what do you consider talking?

Forum: October 2012 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By KMH

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To October 2012 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 17th, 2013, 08:08 PM
NewGurl's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Iv a feeling we wont consider Connor to be talking til he says a really distinct word like cat or mango

everything he does so far seems close but not really for instance he says mama but not really to me its more along the lines of anytime he gets mad or upset he goes mamamamamamamamamamamammamamammamamamammuuuuuum sometimes he does it while reaching for me but normally thats becuse he wants my boobs when hes upset lol.

same with dada he says it but continuously and normally when angry some times it even sounds kinda like die die die die die which is a little creepy when he happens to be hitting whatever toy managed to offend him lol

are we being hyper critical and that counts or are we right on holding off on calling it saying a word?

September 17th, 2013, 08:38 PM
TTCMA Cheer Captain
I am the same way...when a kid says a word and knows what he/she is saying and means it...that is what I consider "talking." I know everyone has their own definition, though.

For example, Claire's first word was "kitty" although it sounded more like "key." When the cat came in the room she'd say "key, key" and chase him
Jinnah likes this.

Melissa & DH
IVF babies Claire (4), Abigail (2) and George (2)

September 18th, 2013, 01:27 AM
bryan and nina's Avatar Love being a mommy!
Bryan and I were just talking about this!! My view is the same as you two's! When she knows she is saying a certain word, that's what I consider her first. She's tried to say "donner" (our dog's name) but it's come out more like "daaa-aaa". Lol
And she says mamamama and dadadada but we're not 100% convinced it's purposeful.

September 19th, 2013, 06:50 PM
yashobo's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Same as you all. I think they definitely are saying the words but its not distinct yet.

Sisters, friends forever
September 21st, 2013, 09:09 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I don't count it until they use the word purposefully. So like she says water "yadah" and Mummy "Mumum" and Elias "Lala"... she TOTALLY means it, and so I count it. Similarly, she'll sign milk and more, and they are both intentional, so I count those. And, I count both signed words and spoken words in the word count for the doctor, lol... at 12 months they are more interested in linguistic development than in spoken development, so long as they do indeed babble a fair range of sounds.
September 22nd, 2013, 04:16 PM
TTCMA Cheer Captain
Just this weekend Abigail will go over and pick up her rubber-ducky and very clearly say "duck." So fun!

Melissa & DH
IVF babies Claire (4), Abigail (2) and George (2)

September 25th, 2013, 07:13 AM
bryan and nina's Avatar Love being a mommy!
Awe how cute!!

September 25th, 2013, 05:54 PM
Belita's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I also consider it when he says things with meaning. He has about 5 words.

September 26th, 2013, 01:03 PM
Mollyjayne's Avatar Super Mommy
I consider it to be with meaning as well, Fatty has one word. That word is "moa" for more
September 26th, 2013, 05:45 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to momopotamus Send a message via MSN to momopotamus
I feel the same way, though I didn't actually consider DD talking until about 18 months, when she had a language explosion and suddenly everything she said made total sense lol

TTC #4 since 9/2013 150mg Clomid BFP 5/22/14! Stick Bean Stick!
We have a heartbeat :-) EDD 1/30/15! It's A Girl!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search