Doctor today

Forum: October 2012 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree6Likes
  • 1 Post By KMH
  • 1 Post By KMH
  • 1 Post By bostoncreampie
  • 1 Post By bostoncreampie
  • 1 Post By Summerdays12
  • 1 Post By yashobo

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To October 2012 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 23rd, 2013, 06:15 AM
October 2012 PR Co-Host
When Elijah first started solids, one time I mixed his cereal with formula (which he'd never had before). He immediately went to sleep and them woke up two hours later and vomited to the point of lethargy (and throwing up bile). We were so afraid that we took him to the ER. They thought maybe he was sick, but his CBC's came back normal. They weren't quite sure what happened.

We followed up with his pediatrician, who said not to give him any milk products until he turns one (and after he is tested for allergies). His allergy tests came back negative. Our old doctor wanted to refer Elijah to an allergist even though his allergy test was negative, so we wouldn't have to try it again at home. We recently switched to a doctor a lot closer to home, and she said to just try a bite at home and increase if nothing happens. I'm too afraid, so we are trying a different doctor (close to home) to see what they say.

DH thinks it was just a fluke (he tried the formula and said it upset his stomach). I hope he is right. Anyway, all that just to say we are about to go to the doctor.

What do you think you would do if this doctor also says to try it at home?

Jesus loving, SAHM to four children.
September 23rd, 2013, 07:04 AM
TTCMA Cheer Captain
I hope you get some answers today, and that you like the new doctor. It is so hard to know what to do sometimes, especially when doctors don't agree with each other.

I wonder if they'll let you give him a few bites during the doctor's appointment? That way the doc is right there to see or help with any reaction? If that doesn't work, I'd honestly camp out in the ER parking lot or have a picnic in a grassy area around the hospital so if anything happens you are right there.

Hopefully it was just a crazy fluke and everything goes well from this point on...please let us know!
Jinnah likes this.

Melissa & DH
IVF babies Claire (4), Abigail (2) and George (2)

September 23rd, 2013, 09:59 AM
October 2012 PR Co-Host
Just got back... she said to try it at home! What do you think?

September 23rd, 2013, 10:04 AM
October 2012 PR Co-Host
She said wait until he turns one in a couple of weeks and give him a half an ounce of whole milk.

September 23rd, 2013, 10:18 AM
TTCMA Cheer Captain
You eat dairy, though, when you BF, right?

Melissa & DH

September 23rd, 2013, 02:20 PM
October 2012 PR Co-Host
Yes. I eat sooooo much every day. I have anywhere from 2-4 glasses of milk (most over 8 oz) and usually yogurt or icecream. Some days I have cheese, also, products that have dairy ingredients. I'm not a pig, I promise. Although, that may be why losing the last pregnancy 18 pounds is slow going.

Would that cause a reaction?

September 23rd, 2013, 02:53 PM
TTCMA Cheer Captain
I'm just thinking if he had some kind of awful dairy intolerance/allergy/etc. he would react at least a little from breastmilk since you consume so much dairy?!? If he doesn't react to that at all, and the allergy tests came back negative, I would feel a lot better about trying it at home. 1/2 an ounce isn't much at all...I think I'd try it and see how it goes. Of course I'd have the car ready to go and document every single thing that happens after he drinks it just in case so they can try to find out if there is some kind of issue. Good luck, Mama!
Jinnah likes this.

Melissa & DH

September 23rd, 2013, 05:13 PM
October 2012 PR Co-Host
Quote:
Originally Posted by KMH View Post
I'm just thinking if he had some kind of awful dairy intolerance/allergy/etc. he would react at least a little from breastmilk since you consume so much dairy?!? If he doesn't react to that at all, and the allergy tests came back negative, I would feel a lot better about trying it at home. 1/2 an ounce isn't much at all...I think I'd try it and see how it goes. Of course I'd have the car ready to go and document every single thing that happens after he drinks it just in case so they can try to find out if there is some kind of issue. Good luck, Mama!
Yeah, that is true. My dd had eczema and would get random hives (this was before I knew anything about food allergies). I have some baby food with milk in it that I can try this week.

September 23rd, 2013, 05:25 PM
bostoncreampie's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to bostoncreampie
I think it was a fluke. I would definitely try it. What's the worst thing that will happen, he will get sick again which will be really sad but at least you'll know. If he was that allergic, he would be having rashes and such from the dairy on your milk. I asked my 3 year old's allergist to allergy test my 5 year old because he has digestive issues and the allergist said with dairy, it would be all over the skin before anything else and with just stomach issues he is highly skeptical.
I really think you have nothing to worry about.
Jinnah likes this.

Last edited by bostoncreampie; September 23rd, 2013 at 07:29 PM.
September 23rd, 2013, 05:29 PM
October 2012 PR Co-Host
Quote:
Originally Posted by bostoncreampie View Post
I think it was a fluke. I would definitely try it. What's the worst thing that will happen, he will get sick again which will be really sad but at least you'll know. If he was that allergic, he would be having rashes and such from the dairy on your milk. I asked my 3 year old's allergist to allergy test my 5 year old because he has digestive issues and the allergist said with dairy, it would be all over the skin before anything else and with just stomach issues he is highly suspicious.

I really think you have nothing to worry about.
I really hope it is a fluke. I'm going to try when dh is home over the weekend. The doctor we saw today prescribed an Epi-pen only because I was so worried. That wouldn't help if it was non-Ige, right?

Kristen, what was he highly suspicious of?

September 23rd, 2013, 07:29 PM
Sorry I meant to say skeptical. I'm so tired.
Jinnah likes this.
September 24th, 2013, 08:38 AM
Summerdays12's Avatar Erin&Aaron's1st!
The first sign of a dairy allergy in Jonah was eczema and reflux like symptoms. After I cut all dairy from my diet those symptoms subsided. I really do think Elijah is just fine. It i do understand your concern and worry.

***but I do...typos!!!!
Jinnah likes this.

September 24th, 2013, 08:46 AM
October 2012 PR Co-Host
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summerdays12 View Post
The first sign of a dairy allergy in Jonah was eczema and reflux like symptoms. After I cut all dairy from my diet those symptoms subsided. I really do think Elijah is just fine. It i do understand your concern and worry.

***but I do...typos!!!!
I thought Elijah had reflux for the few months, but it went away. He would gag and I could hear him swallowing.

September 24th, 2013, 10:55 AM
What are you afraid of?
September 24th, 2013, 11:40 AM
October 2012 PR Co-Host
Quote:
Originally Posted by bostoncreampie View Post
What are you afraid of?
That he'll vomit to the point of lethargy and will go into shock.

September 24th, 2013, 05:23 PM
yashobo's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I think it was just a fluke or he may have had too much at once. My friend's daughter did that when she first gave her milk too. She now drinks it without any problem. I don't know if it's like a "shock" to their system or what. Just try giving a tiny bit at a time and slowly increase it. I totally get your worry though. Hugs.
Jinnah likes this.

Sisters, friends forever

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search