How long do you plan to rear face in the car?

Forum: October 2012 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree31Likes

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To October 2012 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
November 8th, 2013, 08:16 PM
bostoncreampie's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to bostoncreampie
I'm just curious what others are planning on doing with car seats. The American Acadamy of Pediatrics recommends rear facing until age 2 or until the baby grows out of the size limit of the car seat (would have to be a very large baby!!) but I know some people take the risk and flip them around before hand.

We plan on rear facing for a long time. My boys rear faced until around age 3. It's the safest place to be, so why not?
yashobo and JillMama like this.
November 8th, 2013, 08:51 PM
TTCMA Cheer Captain
George and Abigail will keep RFing past 2. It works great...Claire sits behind them FFing and entertains them. Plus it is just safer!

Melissa & DH
IVF babies Claire (4), Abigail (2) and George (2)

November 8th, 2013, 09:53 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Rear Facing.. I think its so much safer even tho they can't see us.
November 9th, 2013, 11:28 AM
October 2012 PR Co-Host
When our older kids were babies, it wasn't recommended that they stay rear facing that long, so we flipped them at one (if they weighed enough - dd was small, so she stayed a little longer). Now that that has changed, we will keep Elijah RF until at least two.
yashobo likes this.

Jesus loving, SAHM to four children.
November 9th, 2013, 01:47 PM
yashobo's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
DD1 was rearfaced util age 2; we plan to do the same at the very least with Ms. Luyando. She may end up staying for even a bit longer because she is a little peanut

Sisters, friends forever
November 9th, 2013, 02:16 PM
Mega Super Mommy
We will until she's 2 and then we'll see how it goes.

November 9th, 2013, 03:50 PM
LucilleTwo's Avatar Andrea, mama to L & E
We RF Lila until she was 4 and then Eleanor got that seat. It will expire before she turns 4 so she will RF at least until the seat expires
JillMama likes this.

November 9th, 2013, 07:36 PM
jlstebbins's Avatar *Super*Mega*Mommy*
Well....im the odd ball out. We forward faced at a year.

He likes it a whole lot better. No more screaming the whole car ride!
Zukin and firstxmommy like this.

November 9th, 2013, 10:10 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Atleast someone is on the almost same page as what I am. I've felt like i've been backed in a corner over on the FB group for \even asking such a thing of FF our daughter. I haven't yet, only because I know I'll get a ear full from everyone...(online or Real Life) but We were thinking at 1.5 years old or up to two years.

Thanks for showing me some people still do it, Lori!
jlstebbins likes this.

November 10th, 2013, 09:07 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Just a thought ... Madalyn does well RF and we have a mirror on the seat that she can see us ...
JillMama likes this.

November 10th, 2013, 09:21 AM
Christi sounds like a great idea to keep her RF especially considering how much of a peanut she is!!

I'm curious peoples reasons for being in such a hurry to turn them around? Especially I'm an era where we are ok with letting our little ones fuss themselves to sleep, but are so quick to stop their cries in the car when it's a safety risk? I've got to be missing something.
November 10th, 2013, 02:02 PM
October 2012 PR Co-Host
Christi, I do think that you get a lot of flak on fb, BUT a lot of the advice is good. I think this is one of those times. Lori may not even be aware of the new research... I know I wasn't until I heard it on here and then I researched it, myself!

Our pediatrician actually told me that while, legally, you can FF at this point, research says it is best to wait until at least two.
JillMama likes this.

Jesus loving, SAHM to four children.
November 10th, 2013, 04:54 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Oh no I know, it is good advice, don't get me wrong! I've been thinking of adding a mirror, but she wouldnt be able to see us w/the carseat she has shown below, but she'll be able to see herself.

My friends in Pueblo, CO had turned their daughter around as soon as she turned 1 and she's also a peanut like KM.. I never asked them why they did it, but I knew it was a bad idea.

I've always wanted to turn her at age 1, but I have read the dangers and read the risks of doing so. We haven't yet, and probably won't until 2, and one of the main reasons is because she's so small!

The picture below, she was 10 months old.

Jinnah likes this.

November 10th, 2013, 07:40 PM
bryan and nina's Avatar Love being a mommy!
I honestly don't get it either, Kristen! What's the hurry? What could there possibly be to gain when there is SO much at stake to lose?!
Emmy will rf until at least 3. With the radian seat we have, we shouldn't have to worry about her outgrowing it.
My view is, at this point, they don't know any different. I don't buy that they would be "happier" riding ff... I definitely think that if you have a fussy car rider, hang a mirror or keep a special toy in the car. We keep a few in there just for car rides but luckily she has always enjoyed riding. This is one of those instances where it's just plain the right thing to do to keep them rfing as long as possible, even if you think they aren't "happy" in that position. As their parents, we have an obligation to make the best possible decisions for their safety and well being and this one can't even be argued. There's concrete evidence that shows the stark difference in injuries sustained ff vs rfing.
Belita and JillMama like this.

November 11th, 2013, 09:08 AM
myfavoriteshoes's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Skype™ to myfavoriteshoes
Sam was RFing til 3.5, and I plan to go as long as possible with Elijah too (til he hits the limits)

November 11th, 2013, 09:10 AM
TTCMA Cheer Captain
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryan and nina View Post
What could there possibly be to gain when there is SO much at stake to lose?!

This is one of those instances where it's just plain the right thing to do to keep them rfing as long as possible, even if you think they aren't "happy" in that position. As their parents, we have an obligation to make the best possible decisions for their safety and well being and this one can't even be argued. There's concrete evidence that shows the stark difference in injuries sustained ff vs rfing.
Amen...very well said!

Melissa & DH
IVF babies Claire (4), Abigail (2) and George (2)

November 11th, 2013, 11:56 AM
Well first off...I dont let Coleson "fuss" himself to sleep!

And we decided to forward face b/c we did that with our first and thats just how we do it. They are both safe. Its not like hes not strapped in GOOD!

Its a personal choice and I KNOW forsure Im not the only one on here that has forward faced at a year. Come on now...

And PLZ dont get in ATTACK MODE!!! Really....b/c thats how im feeling. I dont judge you guys on how you carseat your LO's. We are all doing a fine job!
Zukin likes this.

November 11th, 2013, 12:07 PM
Oh and you dont "buy" it that it makes him happier?

Ok....hmmm...yeah Im lying to you all. Caught me!

NO...actually it does, and our ped and carseat installer, that is a certified installer by the state of MO, said that it is safer RF, but FF is safe too. As long as hes in his seat right, thats whats most important.

I dont really enjoy the comments that were all meant for me.
Zukin likes this.

November 11th, 2013, 01:42 PM
You don't need to get defensive. All the comments are not just for you, as you said there are others in this group that FF.

I'm glad to hear you don't let your baby fuss in his crib either. At least you're consistent! I wasn't talking about you personally though. I'm talking about parents in our society lately who FF for the sole purpose of not wanting their poor babies upset in the car when they have to listen to it but have no problems letting their babies cry it out at bedtime when they can shut the door and walk away. Personally, I don't let my kids happiness or crankiness influence my decisions all the time. I try to most of time but I draw the line at safety.

No one is being mean or rude to you so please don't take it that way.
LoverlyJules, Belita and JillMama like this.

Last edited by bostoncreampie; November 11th, 2013 at 01:52 PM.
November 11th, 2013, 02:52 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I let her CIO because that's what worked for us... and there are a few people here that do that too. However, my option of FF (which I have NOT done yet), is not because she cries all the time... She never cries in the car, she actually sleeps majority of the way if it is a 30 + min drive.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search