Transitioning to crib question

Forum: October 2012 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Belita

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To October 2012 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
November 15th, 2013, 08:19 AM
October 2012 PR Co-Host
I've had to do this at some point with all of my other kids... just want to know how you guys do it. It's about time to get Elijah to sleep in his crib at night. Elijah won't go to bed anymore until we do (before he would fall asleep on me while dh and I watched tv at night). I don't want to do CIO. With our other kids, we would put them in their crib, rub their backs, shush them, etc. until they fell asleep. Is this the only way to do it? Is there a better way?

Jesus loving, SAHM to four children.
November 15th, 2013, 01:53 PM
yashobo's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Since he is already asleep when you go to bed, why don't you just put him in the crib then and see how he does? I think it's a good start to at least start sleeping in the crib; staying in it is harder. Some days Luyando sleeps all night in her crib, some days she wakes up and wants out to sleep with me, and some days she wakes up for milk (in a bottle) and goes right back to sleep in her crib. It will require some work but he may transition easier than you think.

Sisters, friends forever
November 15th, 2013, 03:35 PM
October 2012 PR Co-Host
He used to be asleep first, but lately he won't fall asleep until we get in the bed with him. If dh doesn't go to bed right away, he'll even wake up looking for him after awhile! It's cute, but difficult at the same time!

Basically, he'll have to be put down awake and have to learn to go to sleep, but I don't want him to CIO.

Jesus loving, SAHM to four children.
November 15th, 2013, 04:44 PM
yashobo's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
With Luyando when she wants out in the middle of the night to sleep with me, I give in, bring her to bed with me and take her back once she is asleep. That way, I avoid the CIO and still get her to sleep in her bed. She sleeps fine in it for naps, she just longs for me on some nights.

Sisters, friends forever
November 15th, 2013, 05:11 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Kathy Marie has been sleeping on her crib since she was 15-25 days old ! Off and on. But fully in her crib now

November 16th, 2013, 12:17 PM
Belita's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I did something called the Sleep Shuffle and that worked best for us. I started by laying down next to his crib and using comforting words and rubbing his legs. The first day was the toughest. I then moved away a little bit every 3 days, but still comforted him as needed. He was sleeping full-time in his crib, and even napping in there, within a week.
Ten Steps to Sleep-Training Success

I know Kristen recommends the Pick Up Put Down by the Baby Whisperer but it was too stimulating for Sean.
Zukin likes this.

November 16th, 2013, 03:03 PM
6 Girls and 4 Boys
we started with Emma after about 6-7 months. She did better than I did. Its harder when they are older. My daughter is going threw HELL after trying for months to get her almost 2 year old in a crib or bed or anywhere but their bed. LOL
She is getting ready to have another baby this March and told me,"Mom...I will NEVER EVER EVER co sleep after 4 months again!" LOL She has not rested in almost 2 years. Some kids are harder than others. We co slept with some and they did fine during transitioning to a crib.My grandson is extra stubborn tho.

Please let me know what worked for you.
November 16th, 2013, 07:09 PM
jlstebbins's Avatar *Super*Mega*Mommy*
I nurse Coleson to sleep in the rocker in his bedroom at night by 8 pm. Hes out like a light, lay him down in his crib, and sneak out.

After his first wake up, which is around 12 or 2, DH gets him and lays him in bed with us. Nurse him on my side, and he sleeps in our bed till hes up for the day.

Not much help, but the 50/50 crib/co-sleep this is great for us!

Good luck!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search