Sick again :-(

Forum: October 2012 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By bostoncreampie
  • 2 Post By doremi

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To October 2012 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 6th, 2014, 02:41 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Ugggh. Why us?! She already is over the HFM disease right? So the last few days up until last night she's been awesome. Last night was a cough thy kept her up most of the night, no biggie. This morning she was fine, I went to my dr appt Matt went to work grandparents took care of her. Around 10am they went to get Matt to take him to his dr appt and she was fine - they had lunch at Hardee's. Fast forward to after his dr's appt & dropping him off back at work and going home.... She's been largethic, won't sleep for her nap, ha been running a low grade fever from 99 and high fever to 102.

I called her pedi and they said has she been throwing up? No not at that time but after I called and then I called my dad back and she threw up all over herself and floor. Since the pedi is not wanting to take her in I am going to the urgent care at baptist hospital. But seriously ***!

June 6th, 2014, 03:48 PM
October 2012 PR Co-Host
Hope she feels better, soon!

Jesus loving, SAHM to four children.
June 6th, 2014, 04:41 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Kids get sick. It's normal. And fevers are a GOOD THING. Treat the kid, not the fever.

Fever - Myths Versus Facts
June 6th, 2014, 07:30 PM
yashobo's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Poor baby. Hope she feels better soon.

Sisters, friends forever
June 7th, 2014, 05:15 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I clearly understand the myths of fever and what to be various of but IMO each child is different. One can take pain tolerance better than the other. Last night she was in pain when we fever was at 102-103. When it went down she was ok but she was largethic. Unfort i refuse to see her with higher than 102 fever and not do anything about it. Sure at 104/105 some kids can handle it but your brain starts to receive damage around 105+ I rather not chance her getting that high when her pedi is 25 mins away and the nearest urgent care which is baptist hospyi with her medicad insurance is also another 30 mins the other direction.

She woke up around 5am (an hour ago) coughing and whimpering with a fever again. She took the meds they gave her (can't think of it off the top of my head right now as I am laying in bed ), and has fallen asleep. Unfort no stores are open at this time to get her a fever reducer since apparently we never had any and I aware we did.

I out a cold wash cloth in her that she has taken off 20 some times already before she passed out.

I know some have had kids already or just have a different view but when I see anything past 101 I will call the doctor.

I'll update soon.

June 7th, 2014, 08:04 PM
bostoncreampie's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to bostoncreampie
I agree, try not to fret! I was really caught up about fevers with my first child too. But it's extremely rare for a fever to go up to 104 or 105 without there being a serious thing going on. Once I started accepting that fever is actually a good thing and not a bad thing, things really changed in my stress levels. When she gets fevers, her immune system is practicing and getting a great workout. I have three kids and we have illnesses come through the house and everyone reacts differently. My oldest is very feverish and his fever can get high with just a cold. My others don't really. There can be a serious illness going on with just a 101 fever and a mild cold going on with a 103 fever. I know it's hard to not worry when its your child though. Sorry she is unwell. Hope it passes quickly.
JaxonsMom2010 likes this.
June 7th, 2014, 11:41 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Thanks, and I truly understand your feelings on the subject to, I just can't get over the fact of mid-to-high fevers.

This morning she woke up at 5am with another 101 fever, gave her Morton and it went down. She was playing today, almost herself. Nap time she went down like it was nothing. After naptime, she was kind of sluggish. She did eat lunch very well.

I went to a Mom's night out tonight, and was updated that she was sleepy and tired rather than hungry. She didnt eat dinner (refused everything but water)... and went to bed around 9pm. Since i've been home she's up coughing, then goes back to sleep.

I hate that she is getting sick b/c of being in daycare, but I understadn its better than being out of school when she starts kindergarden for not having a better immune system.

I am like my dad though, I worry way too much I know... but gaah!

June 8th, 2014, 09:46 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Cross posted from FB

Please don't judge me about being worried. But ever since Friday night when she got this random cold, she seems to not be getting better. We let her sleep, let her relax, feeding her pedialyte, water, popcicles etc. Fever has been steady, except for once going up to 100 and had given her the morton. I've also rotated between Hylands Cough & Cold throughout the day of 4-6 hours apart. I have given her antibotics that was prescribed to her by the ER/Urgent Care doctor, like it says (once a day for 4 days).

At night she's the worse. She can't sleep because she's coughing more than she is sleeping. Her nose runs like every 10 seconds for what it seems. I swear everytime she looks away and turns back to me her nose is just flat out runny.

Eating? Yeah... Not happening since yesterday. She had a little breakfast yesterday, not so much lunch & dinner I heard was barely anything (I was at a Moms Night Out while Daddy andGrandparents stayed home). Today? She barely had breakfast again, she ate cereal, but that's about it. Lunch..... We went out to eat to Rio Bravo (A mexican place by the house), and she ALWAYS eats chips & bean salsa and her enchalida, but wanted nothing to do with it. I mean, she had very small bites (maybe 4 bites at most), and that was it.

Diapers? Eh... This part worries me. Since 9am this morning she had 1 wet diaper. Nothing through the night last night.... Nothing after Church, and nothing at lunch, no I take that back, she had a very little spout of pee in her diaper when I changed her. She didnt really nap much, but we tried to get her to potty in toilet and she didnt, so I put a diaper on..Matt got home from work and we went to Walmart to get her pedialyte and pediasure to ensure she's getting enough nutrients (As given by HER pedi, the last time she was sick and didnt eat, to give her both or one/the other). While we were there, she ate yogurt and had water with grandparents. She did 1 very runny BM in her diaper.

Dinner..... We tried to give her tortilini for dinner and she ate one, then didnt want anymore. She had 2 8oz of pedialyte (Between the time of us getting back to walmart and around dinner)... and we tried the pediasure and she drank maybe 3oz of that and nothing else.

She went to bed about 30 mins ago and has been coughing up mucus - we tried our humdifier (warm mist) with some vapor rub liquid to help out (It used to help her anyway), which allowed her nose and everything to drain. Unfort making her cough more, so I turned it off thinking maybe it was just too much (even though it was on the lowest setting). Nope.... She started to fuss more and more, so I got her to get a drink (refused) and also gave her some more of the hylands cough & cold. Matt raised up her mattress a little so she can be elevated... As I write this, she is now sleeping pretty good - no coughs no sneezing no fussing or moaning. I think the elevation of the mattress + a second pillow to raise her up a bit + the hylands meds helped her out.

But, What's going on with my little girl? I know I should let it run its course, but I HATE the feeling of her being in so much pain and discomfort. It really bothers me :/ I'm still thinking about the URI that the Urgent Care specified she had and to still call the doctor just in case - since they didnt screen her for RSV. Do you think it could be part of it?

Sorry for the book.

edit:

I should mention that she did pee tonight in the toilet. I am not sure why I forgot about that, but I did. Hubby just reminded me, this was before we settled her down for bed. Maybe 1.5 hours ago.

Last edited by Zukin; June 8th, 2014 at 09:51 PM.
June 9th, 2014, 01:35 AM
doremi's Avatar Team Blue Mama of Two
It sounds like she is dehydrated. Offer sips of pedialite every few hours through the night. The one time Josiah got super dehydrated, we were advised by the nurse at Children's Hospital to do this and to watch for wet diapers and signs of lethargy. If lethargic and continuing to have very little urine output, she needs to be seen. Children sometimes have a hard time rehydrating and need a little extra help to get back on their feet.

Just saw you offered a drink and she refused. If this continues to happen, syringe feed fluids until she is back on her feet. You are going to have to force the liquids if she won't take them voluntarily.
Zukin and JaxonsMom2010 like this.

June 9th, 2014, 08:37 PM
Mega Super Mommy
We went to dr at 11am this morning. No ear infections - right tube is still trying to come out (good news).... and they did a swab in her nose. Since the Urgent Care/ER didnt call me back in regards to the x-ray results, the dr will and let me know in two days for both tests. She did say it could definitely be a URI, but probably not RSV. The swab of the nose will cover all tests such as puenomia, flu, rsv, uri etc. She told me to do zyrtec/clartin or the other allergy med I have in the closet that i cant think the name of.

Use warm mist humdifer to help with the mucus and her cough at night. Keep her elevated (but we have run into a issue that now she slides off pillows b/c of the way she lays, then wakes up later because she can't get comfy or go back to sleep.

She also said that yes night gets worse than day, so she could be alert and awesome during day and night just gets so bad :/ I have to let it run its course until I get a call back on the test results. Thanks guys for all your help <3

She was better today. She drank and ate! I was so happy ... but hardly any sleep because of the mucus drain again.

June 10th, 2014, 04:50 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Update on Kathy:

She had RSV! So I was right to worry about her not feeling well! She has mild RSV however. I have to use saline drops and also suction her nose out when she's really stuffy. Because it's so mild they didn't recommend breathing treatments but said to use warm mist at night and watch for signs of not breathing or difficulty breathing to take we to dr or ER. They said she's ok to go to daycare or other activities as long as there is no signs of fever.

June 10th, 2014, 05:26 PM
October 2012 PR Co-Host
Glad you listened to your intuition. RSV isn't fun at all. My dd was hospitalized with it when she was four months old. Elijah had it, and so did one of my older boys.

How crazy that they said to send her to daycare and other activities! Huge pet peeve of mine!

June 10th, 2014, 06:04 PM
Mega Super Mommy
They said it wasnt as mild as what RSV usually is. They said she mainly has a really bad cold, and a little bit of RSV.

What else can i do to treat it besides saline drops and suction of her nose?

June 10th, 2014, 06:20 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I'll edit though, I probably wont send her to daycare, only because of it being highly contagious, I was just saying what the nurse said (my dr didnt sorry for my typo)

June 10th, 2014, 07:07 PM
October 2012 PR Co-Host
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zukin View Post
They said it wasnt as mild as what RSV usually is. They said she mainly has a really bad cold, and a little bit of RSV.

What else can i do to treat it besides saline drops and suction of her nose?
Steamy bathroom. We used a nebulizer, but the steamy bathroom is the next best thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zukin View Post
I'll edit though, I probably wont send her to daycare, only because of it being highly contagious, I was just saying what the nurse said (my dr didnt sorry for my typo)

I just can't imagine sending a child with RSV off to infect others. Plus, she probably isn't feeling too great and would rather stay home. What horrible advice. It really is highly contagious!

June 11th, 2014, 08:07 AM
Glad you got her checked out! Hope she's on the mend!

When Abbi was almost 4 months, she caught something very similar. She was at the doctor 3 days in a week, checking it out. But in the end, they said to just check to make sure she wasn't having any problems breathing and to keep up with saline and sucking out the boogs. My doctor said she was okay to go to daycare too, and I had to send her. Sometimes people just have to work, and I had already taken off a majority of that week. She was a-okay at school and they took good care of her.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search