Help with non-Jewish hubby...

Forum: Jewish Parenting

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Jewish Parenting LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 15th, 2008, 08:48 AM
I'm Sam, Sadie's Mommy!!!
I am currently about 16w pregnant with our first (and only!) little one. We don't know the sex of the baby yet, but in a discussion this weekend, DH mentioned that he was not keen on having a bris if it's a little boy. He thinks it is much safer...etc. if the baby is circumcised in the hospital by a doctor. What do I do???? Nothing I said seemed to change his mind. He knows it's important to me and we are raising our child in a Jewish home (DH and his family are Christians, but don't go to church...). I don't know what I can say. I have gotten him to agree to talk to our Rabbi, but I don't know whatelse to do.

Any suggestions?
Thanks in advance,
Sam
September 16th, 2008, 10:18 AM
Bluebunnygirl1's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Is there any possibility for a compromise? We have a hospital here that will do the circumcision with rabbi and family present.

September 17th, 2008, 06:15 PM
Mom2DavidandAaron's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Actually, a circumcision performed by a qualified mohel is MUCH better than a hospital circumcision- in every aspect. In a hospital circumcisio, the baby is strapped down to a table, the procedure lasts about 10 minutes and many times, the parents aren't even allowed in. During a bris, the baby is held by a caring relative (usually a grandfather), a bris takes literally less than a minute (which makes it much less painful) and yo ucan be right there to bf afterwards, which also helps with pain. As a former med student and Jewish woman I've seen both types. I'd NEVER choose a hospital circumcision over a bris, and not only for the religious implications, but because in all honesty, mohels are more experienced, faster and gentler than doctor.
But don't take my word for it, show him this:
http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html...75BC0A961958260
http://www.jewishsf.com/content/2-0-/modul...splaystory.html

Here's also the website of Cantor Sherman, he performs what he calls "holistic circumcision". Thing is, many non-Jewish parents are realizing that you don't need a hospital to have a circumcision. And many prefer the home environment for many reasons: less traumatic for baby, baby more accesible to mom afterwards, and less risk of hospital related infections. He provides that service and I've met women who used him and they were very happy.
http://www.holisticircumcision.com/holistic.htm

Here's also a list of mohels that are also MDs. maybe you can find one in your area and you can still have a bris, and your DH can feel more at ease that the mohel is a doctor.
http://www.beritmila.org/downloads/noamDirectory.pdf

Sharon
September 21st, 2008, 05:41 AM
mamabeeto3's Avatar Super Mommy
Hi,
While both my husband and I are both Jewish our son was in the NICU and released the 8th day. Our pediatrician is Jewish and has done circumcision before. We brought the kippot, mogen david, and did the bris/circumcision in the office. We later did a naming which was his celebration with all at the synagogue.

I have to agree about circumcision though - I have heard horror stories from others about the circumcisions their children had. Many said make sure you pull the skin back so it doesn't grow back together. Another had issues with the string?? I was like what the heck are they talking about. Caden had no foreskin left to pull back, no string/bell attached. We had to put some bactracin on him and in 7 days he was all good.

I hope you and your husband can come to an agreement.
September 25th, 2008, 09:39 AM
Thank you ladies. I appreciate the feedback! I have found a jewish doctor near here that does circumcisions for bris. I will ask DH about that option and see if the doctor would be willing to do it in his office...maybe that might make DH feel better about things...

I'll let you know what happens. We won't know the sex until our November scan so it's not too far off, I guess. Though I want to know now! LOL!

Thanks again!
Sam

October 27th, 2008, 07:57 AM
Crisis averted! It's a girl!!!!!!! We're looking forward to meeting Sadie in March!

Thank you for all of your help!!!!!
Sam

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search