Interfaith Marriages

Forum: Jewish Parenting

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Jewish Parenting LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 2nd, 2006, 08:18 AM
Llamamama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
For those of you in interfaith marriages...

How much does your partner participate?
How do you handle holidays with the kids?
How do you make it work?

Just curious! We're having our first and we just have so many questions.

My boys are beautiful and look forward to meeting the new member of our family

@LizPW on Twitter or find me on my blog
January 2nd, 2006, 08:39 AM
Katzchen
My husband and I are having our first as well, and I was wondering the same things!

As far as religious participation, my husband does not go to services (but I have not in a while either) but does observe Chanukah, Pesach, and Rosh Hashanah with me.

As far as holidays, our children will celebrate all of the Jewish holidays, but have a secular christmas celebration at my dh's parents home. They aren't religious, and their christmas is completely about Santa Claus, not Christ so I hope our son won't be too confused.

I am anxious to hear how others make this work!
January 2nd, 2006, 03:56 PM
Blessings B's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Hi girls, well we have done this. My husband does go to the childrens sevices during the High Holy Days.(usually because the kids participate) I am horrible about the Sabbath. I really should be better. The kids go to religious school and My 8 yr old will start Hebrew school next year. We have Passover in our home with 5-6 other families (usually non-jewish) and have a blast. We read the kids Haggadah. I did not do a bris only because I did not really understand them. I have learned a ton moving to the north and am so enjoying being in a great Jewish community. Our Rabbi is female and she is wonderful at including my husband, she really goes out of her way. which makes all the difference in the world. I would love to talk more about this. Oh yeah we have a truely "Santa Claus " celebration also. And we do Channukah. It is a present feast which is a ton of fun. Last year my dh did have some neg things happen , but it was all cleared up very fast. That is a whole other conversation. B
January 2nd, 2006, 06:40 PM
Llamamama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
We're actually meeting with a Rabbi this Thursday to talk about some of this stuff.

My DH is very open to participating with me and the Rabbi we'll be speaking to is really wonderful about interfaith partnerships. We really have high hopes for our first meeting with him this week.

I spent most of my life being a non-religious, but tradition heavy Jew. Make sense? As I get older and now have a child on the way, I feel like I want to participate more.

DH is not a very religious man but is very supportive of me and whatever I feel like I want to do. His family isnt very religious and like Katzchen mentioned, they also celebrate xmas which is more about the gifts and the food and santa than it is about religion. We just spent xmas with them and I dont remember once hearing "Jesus". I'll tell you what they DID do for me. MIL went out. Bought a menorah and candles, a dreidel and chocolate gelt! We got my family on the speakerphone and we lit the first nights candle together. It was very sweet and inclusive. I was very moved that they thought about all of this for me.

My boys are beautiful and look forward to meeting the new member of our family

@LizPW on Twitter or find me on my blog
January 2nd, 2006, 08:26 PM
Westywoman5's Avatar Veteran
How much does your partner participate? My husband doesn't attend services with me(he goes to his own church and is an active member as well as Emily) but does observe holidays although I'll admit the girls and my own attendance has been bad these days.

How do you handle holidays with the kids? Like the other have said we still do a very secular Christmas celebration that has nothing to do with Christ but more with the tree and Santa(when they were younger) along with celebrating Chanukah.

How do you make it work? We talked a lot in the beginning. We were able to agree that the girls would be raised Jewish until they were old enough to decide and Emily did decide to join her fathers church after going with him a good bit and going through a confirmation process. Otherwise alot of discussion and compromise.

Hopefully that helped a little. I'd say more but I have two babies doing some karate on my organs.
January 6th, 2006, 04:05 AM
Blessings B's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
It is amazing to me how well we women adjust. I love hearing about the stories and am really looking forward to everyone sharing. Thanks B

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search