Bris

Forum: Jewish Parenting

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Jewish Parenting LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 15th, 2006, 08:50 AM
Llamamama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
DH and I have never planned a bris before. Besides getting bagels and lox does anyone have any suggestions? We're not sure if the families can make it here with 8 days notice from birth (which makes things hard) so it probably wont be fancy.. but we do want to make sure we do it right.

Any Bris experiences out there?

My boys are beautiful and look forward to meeting the new member of our family

@LizPW on Twitter or find me on my blog
January 15th, 2006, 11:38 AM
mama2jacob&charlotte's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to mama2jacob&charlotte
Here's my advice ... have someone else do the planning for you! Or at least get as much of it done as you can before you go into Labor! Not that it's really possible since you won't know the date, BUT ...

DH and I live in Chicago and my parents are in Detroit. We don't really have any jewish friends here and I'm pretty sure that I won't be up to driving 5 hours with the baby right after he's born for the bris, so we are thinking of having the circumcision done at the hospital or at our house with just me, him and my parents if they can get here, and then having a bris "party" later, like in June, at my parents' house. So, maybe something like that would work for you? I know that traditionally, it's the grandparents or other relatives that plan everything for the bris so the mom doesn't have to do it so soon after L&D.

Thanks to JaidynsMum for my awesome siggy!
January 15th, 2006, 07:39 PM
Mom2DavidandAaron's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
ITA with the PP. First things, first. Choose a mohel (but I think you already did that ). Ask him what you need to prepare for the actual ceremony and get as much as you can done before you go into labor.
As for the party itself, get some help if you can. I used a caterer for David's bris and he actually went to the hospital to arrange the details. That was a life saver. But if you're having a small bris, try delegating responsibilities with people you fully trust.
Now, if your relatives cannot get there on time, you can always have an intimate bris (although I believe a minyan must be present) with a celebratory small meal afterwards and have a bigger party once you can have all your family with you.
Bottom line- whatever you can get done in advance, don't hesitate and ask for help from people you fully trust.

Sharon
January 15th, 2006, 08:07 PM
Rabbi gaves us some Mohels he recommends.. I just need to call one

I think I am worried about having a Minyan.. I dont have many jewish friends, but I bet the Rabbi will make sure we have what we need. I do have a friend that would take on the responsibility to make sure there is food and stuff, thats a good idea.. I need to delegate responsibility!

Sharon... Where did you have the bris? In your home or synagogue?

DH and I decided to have the circumscision done at a proper Bris ceremony at the 8 day timeframe. The circumcision issue was something we discussed together and with my Rabbi (DH is not Jewish) and we decided that because we were doing it for religious reasons, we were going to do it with all of the correctness of the ceremony. We did consider the circumcision and then the party idea.. but we are going to go this route because of the reasons behind our decision.

January 15th, 2006, 08:28 PM
Quote:
DH and I decided to have the circumscision done at a proper Bris ceremony at the 8 day timeframe. The circumcision issue was something we discussed together and with my Rabbi (DH is not Jewish) and we decided that because we were doing it for religious reasons, we were going to do it with all of the correctness of the ceremony. We did consider the circumcision and then the party idea.. but we are going to go this route because of the reasons behind our decision.[/b]
Yeah, but that doesn't mean it has to be a big party if you are not up to doing all that. Just have the minyan and the bris and that's that, you can have a welcome baby party at some other time.

I have never heard of a bris being performed in a synagogue. Also, as far as I understand, you are not supposed to send out invitations, it's just that the community is invited, so it's more of a word of mouth thing.

Good luck!

January 17th, 2006, 06:02 PM
Mom2DavidandAaron's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Well, we had it at my sil's house. She lives in a building and had a place to hold the breakfast. It was perfect because right after the bris I went to her apartment and was able to bf David privately and had the mohel there to give his first checkup.

Sharon
January 19th, 2006, 06:17 AM
Veteran
Planning the bris was made easier because I had scheduled c-sections with all my children. Definitely select a mohel beforehand. If you are uneasy about a mohel doing the bris there are actually many ob's who are also mohels. I've heard that a mohel usually does a better job than a Dr and believe it but why not cover all bases. You are going to have so many other things to think about so let someone else take care of the details, if possible. We used a caterer for both. With our first child we went a bit overboard and had about 200 people. Our next son came along 10 years later (oops!) and we had a much smaller affair. Both were in our home. I couldn't watch either time and hid in the master bath during the actual procedure. DH said that he was a bit queasy but that it really wasn't too bad and both boys did great. If you are concerned about not having enough Jewish people for a minion ask whomever is performing the service if you can include women. In the worst case scenario have a few of your friends fib and say that they are Jewish. The mohel and/or rabbi won't know the difference. Not all Jews know all the Hebrew prayers anyway. Mozel Tov!
Madeline 9/25/96
Kyle 10/19/04
January 27th, 2006, 06:58 PM
My uncle sent me this link. There is a lot of helpful information, even if you don't live in the Pacific Northwest (which I don't!) but there is just a lot of general information about brit.

http://brismilah.com/

January 27th, 2006, 07:51 PM
thank you

January 29th, 2006, 03:36 PM
rachna's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I agree have someone else plan it! I am only 7 weeks and my father-in-law has agreed that if it is a boy he will have it/host it/plan it. I figure I will be so busy as will by husband when we will have time to plan a Bris on top of everything else? PLus we are not finding out the sex before it is born, we want the surprise, so its going to be a quickly planned event.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search