Baby showers

Forum: Jewish Parenting

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Jewish Parenting LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 15th, 2006, 11:58 AM
mama2jacob&charlotte's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to mama2jacob&charlotte
Okay, I have been told that this is a mid-western thing, but I'm not sure if it's true.

No Jewish people that I know in the mid-west have showers, because it's bad luck to buy something for an unborn child. However, my sister lives in NYC and she says that east coast Jews do it. I am having my first baby and I have nothing - not one stitch of clothing or a bottle or anything, and I would LOVE to have a shower, just to celebrate the baby and have fun with my friends, and the bonus of the presents. But it's not going to happen because of the reason I mentioned above.

Does anyone know the basis for this, or have you heard similair things? I know there are stores that will store everything for you and then deliver it when you go into labor ...

Honestly, I love most Jewish traditions, I find them rich and beautiful, but I am not one for baseless superstition! I mean, in all honesty and reality, whether or not we buy everything or nothing for this child before he arrives will not influence his health or well-being one bit, right? So, why do we adhere to things like this ... IDK, my mother is an otherwise very reasonable person, so it surprises me that she pays heed to this.

Sorry so long! Thanks for offering any opinions.

Thanks to JaidynsMum for my awesome siggy!
January 15th, 2006, 07:43 PM
Mom2DavidandAaron's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I did have a baby shower. At the time I was just on myway to becoming observant, so I really didn't hesitate on that. It is my understanding that this is a custom, it may be based on superstition and I've read that it's in relation to the ayin hara (evil eye). Your personal views on that matter should influence your decision. Although I do believe in the evil eye, I'm usually nto very concerned about it. I know that as long as I do things for me, without th eintention of rubbing it to others, I don't have to worry about it. But that's JMO.
I say do what you feel comfortable with. You won't be breaking any halachic laws, it's just a custom. Sepharadic Jews actually do hold baby showers. It is my understandign that they even have a whole ceremony around that.

Sharon
January 15th, 2006, 07:56 PM
Llamamama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I had also thought about this. I am not normally superstitious but you never know!

I now have started to get things.. many as gifts.. so I had to bring them into the home. I AM also having a baby shower. Most of the people I know (east coast NYC jews, the whole lot of us ) have showers and bring items into their home and although the superstition is in the back of my mind, I will as well.

My boys are beautiful and look forward to meeting the new member of our family

@LizPW on Twitter or find me on my blog
January 16th, 2006, 04:54 AM
Blessings B's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I am a southern jew transplanted to ct. So many of these traditions are new to me. I had showers with both of my kids. I did not realize it was taboo. I also took a gift to a girl here for her babe , not realizing it was not okay. Oh boy. But, again I think we all do what we feel is right for us. Good Luck. B
January 16th, 2006, 08:55 AM
mama2jacob&charlotte's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to mama2jacob&charlotte
Thanks for your suggestions!

I guess my point was that I am not a superstitious person, and I would love a shower but I don't get why everyone in my family is suddenly so superstitious and won't give me one, when they've never been superstitious about anything in the past.

Thanks to JaidynsMum for my awesome siggy!
January 29th, 2006, 03:41 PM
rachna's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I am east coast and no one in my family and none of my Jewish friends have had showers. I dont really want one. It is not so much superstition for me, its more that I hate showers!
January 30th, 2006, 05:30 AM
Veteran
I'm on the East Coast, near Washington, DC. Everyone on both sides of the family are originally from New York. I was given showers with all three children but nothing for the baby was kept in my home. Everything was brought over and/or set up after their birth. My Mother also insisted on tying a red ribbon on their cribs, basinettes and strollers. I'm not sure if that's a Jewish tradition (she says it is) or a family thing.
Madeline 9/25/96
Kyle 10/19/04

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search