Were you Bat Mitzvahed?

Forum: Jewish Parenting

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

View Poll Results: Bat Mitzvahed?
Yes, when I was 13 5 33.33%
Yes, but older than 13 1 6.67%
no and I wont be 5 33.33%
no, but I'm planning to do so 0 0%
no but I'm thinking about it 3 20.00%
I converted 1 6.67%
Voters: 15. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Jewish Parenting LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 22nd, 2006, 06:17 PM
Llamamama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I was not Bat Mitzvahed when I was 13. All my friends went to hebrew school and I didnt. I was raised by a single mom mostly during that time and then moved in my dad and step mom at 13. I was not exactly a .. umm.. well behaved kid that would have even appreciated it back then.

I think I'm going to go back and do it.

My stepmom was not Bat Mitvahed (because they didnt for the girls where she lived back then) but did get Bat Mitzvahed at age 40. She said it was an absolutely amazing experience to go back and do that.

Anyone else get Bat Mitvahed later or know anyone who has?

My boys are beautiful and look forward to meeting the new member of our family

@LizPW on Twitter or find me on my blog
January 23rd, 2006, 02:44 PM
Blessings B's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I am working on it. I am taking Hebrew in the Adult class, right now I am a "Hebrew School dropout", but after the baby is born hopefully I can fulfill that dream. B
January 24th, 2006, 06:21 AM
Veteran
I'm also a Hebrew school dropout My parents had 3 girls and none of us were Bat Mitzvahed. I have a friend and two family members who had theirs as an adult. I couldn't prepare by the time my DS #1 has his, too much else to do with three kids, one being a baby. Maybe I'll have the time to study by the time my DD is ready for hers. My DH did have his Bar Mitzvah at 13.
Madeline 9/25/96
Kyle 10/19/04
January 25th, 2006, 08:42 AM
Katzchen
I am a bas mitzvah, but my synagogue does not have a ceremony or celebration. We were taught that at 12 (or 13 for a boy) you automatically become a bas or bar mitzvah as you are now old enough to understand and follow the commandments.

Here is an interesting article from Judaism 101, my husband's favourite site to look up all things Jewish...

http://www.jewfaq.org/barmitz.htm

So even if you didn't have a ceremony, you are all ready a bas (bat) mitzvah!
January 25th, 2006, 05:29 PM
Mom2DavidandAaron's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
That's absolutely right. the term bar/bat mitzvah only means that the person is now responsible for his/her own observance of mitzvot.
Boys have the ceremony because their roles as Jewish males is to read the Torah and pray in the synagogue with a minyian. Women don't have these roles, therefore they don't need to be called to the Torah, which is really what the bar mitzvah is about. It's the celebration of the boy (now considered a man) first aliyah, something a woman doesn't need to do.

Sharon
January 26th, 2006, 06:19 AM
mama2jacob&charlotte's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to mama2jacob&charlotte
Yeah, my rabbi always explained it that you don't "have" a bas mitzvah, you "become" bas mitzvah, meaning you are now a daughter of the commandments and are responsible for following the 613 mitzvot in the torah. Big responsibility.

Thanks to JaidynsMum for my awesome siggy!
January 26th, 2006, 05:14 PM
Llamamama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
ok.. so.. have I already become bas mitzvah just by being born Jewish?

Please excuse me for not knowing.. thats one of the reasons I want to study, so I can learn

I never went to hebrew school, I never attended sevices for anything other than high holy days and I feel.. like I'm missing something.. or I'm missing out on my own rich heritage.

I feel very engrained in the amazing traditions that bring such great memories and joy, yet have been left behind in the actual religious aspect.

My boys are beautiful and look forward to meeting the new member of our family

@LizPW on Twitter or find me on my blog
January 26th, 2006, 08:33 PM
mama2jacob&charlotte's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to mama2jacob&charlotte
Quote:
ok.. so.. have I already become bas mitzvah just by being born Jewish?[/b]
Well, yes, and achieving the age of 13. But "bas mitzvah" is a relatively recent and reform/conservative Judaism thing. Girls/women didn't have bas mitzvah ceremonies (getting called to read Torah) until probalby the past 25 years? Even when I had my ceremony, I got to chant Haftorah but my synagogue did not allow girls to read Torah. And that was only ... 16 years ago.

Thanks to JaidynsMum for my awesome siggy!
February 5th, 2006, 01:50 PM
RachelC's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to RachelC
Another hebrew school dropout over here! All my cousins were bar and bat mitzvah'd.. I'm the total black sheep of the family!!

Thank you RaspberryBeret for my gorgeous siggy!

September 20th, 2006, 01:09 PM
mommyofdani's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to mommyofdani
I never had a celebration or went to hebrew school...which is why Adam and I have enrolled Danielle in a jewish daycare/preschool/kindergarten where she will also attend hebrew school. And I have started planning her celebration I plan on living vicariously through her

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search