QOTD: Is Judaism "feminist"?

Forum: Jewish Parenting

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Jewish Parenting LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 12th, 2009, 05:25 PM
Mom2DavidandAaron's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I thought I get things started by posting this question. There's a common misconception that Judaism (like other monotheistic religions) is male-based and degrading to women. I can't tell you the countless times I've had to dispel that myth (those who post and/or lurk in the religious debate board can account for that, lol) but it seems that people are still determined to believe that Judaism undermines the value of women, when in fact, it's quite the opposite.

So what are your views about Judaism and women and what do you base those ideas on?

Sharon
May 12th, 2009, 07:06 PM
rachna's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Well I am a Jewish Feminist, so YES it is. I did one of my undergrad thesis's on this actually (I double majored and one of my majors was women's studies). Judaism is definitely feminist, there are aspects of it which can be difficult to reconcile, but it is not impossible.
May 18th, 2009, 02:32 AM
Alchemist's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I think Judaism is def not male based. I do think, though, that until you understand the religion in the entirety (i.e. mens obligations and womens etc) you wont see the balance there actually exists. I think it is very difficult for the man to uphold the obligations of prayer, teffilin, his obligations to his wife and family etc. But then again, I can only see it from a female point of view...... it is hard to judge.
May 19th, 2009, 06:54 PM
Mom2DavidandAaron's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Some misguided people claim that there should be a difference in the first place, that the mere fact that men and women are different means that hashem intended one of them to be "inferior". I personally think that's completely ridiculous. What would be the purpose of Creation, of humankind if we were all complete and exactly the same? How would we grow and learn without a "counterpart" to gives what we lack, to need what we can give him/her and to challenge us into helping us grow? I guess I cannot understand why someone will think that the concept of "different" is a negative one.

Sharon
May 20th, 2009, 12:01 AM
probably the same ppl who think some races are inferior.......
May 20th, 2009, 05:25 AM
rachna's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
From my perspective women and men have the same roles as men within Judaism. I dont see a difference. But I go to a conservative egalitarian synagogue.
May 21st, 2009, 01:43 PM
I'm Sam, Sadie's Mommy!!!
I would absolutely agree with you ladies. I think that men and women fulfill different roles within Judaism with neither being superior to the other. I love what I bring to my family as a Jewish woman carrying on our jewish faith and traditions.
May 30th, 2009, 06:43 AM
Bluebunnygirl1's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I belong to a reform synagogue which is very egalitarian and the women are every bit as important as the men. But I would also say that in general, women's roles and men's roles in Judaism are somewhat different, but both needed.

June 1st, 2009, 02:32 AM
Rachna : what is conservative egalitarian?

In South Africa we have orthodox and reform. I consider myself orthodox (having been born to orthodox families, though our practising is somewhat poor, but getting better ha ha)

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search