QFTW: Do you worry about not being observant enough?

Forum: Jewish Parenting

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Jewish Parenting LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 1st, 2009, 03:43 AM
Alchemist's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I sometimes do, but then again I have control issues
June 1st, 2009, 11:10 AM
rachna's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
No, I am happy with our level of observance, it works for us.
June 1st, 2009, 04:10 PM
Mom2DavidandAaron's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I do sometimes. I know that there some things I could be doing better.

Sharon
June 2nd, 2009, 01:14 AM
me too. I reeeealllllllllly want to become shomer shabbos, but its so hard to make that decision as it affects EVERYTHING i do. we are close, but not yet buying the cigar. I have a kosher home (that really intimidated me when i first got married as i came from a very irreligious background). For me this is my next step but its taking longer than i thought.......
June 2nd, 2009, 07:24 AM
LOL! I remember when I first made my house kosher! I didn't want to mess it up so it was take out for like a week. It was ridiculous. Of course by now I'm used to it and I know now that making a mistake isn't such a big deal.
As for shabbos, it is a big change, especially if you socialize with people that go out on fridays or saturdays. For us, we had the problem that we always have lunch with my mil on saturday (they're not observant), but Hashem sent us a house we could actually afford and it's two houses away from my mil Shul is about a 30-40 minute walk, so I usually stay home. Last week, though, I decided to see if my boys could already handle th ewalk and it was awsome! DH had no idea we were gonna go, actually I decided that like at 10:30 a.m. The look of happy surprise on his face made the walk worth it.

Sharon
June 2nd, 2009, 08:21 AM
Wow. 40 minutes. shew. Where do you live? Is there an arev in the area. I am luckily in one so its not as hectic with kids....I live about 10 minutes from Shul. I have lots of friends. We are usually at shul on saturdays and even walk so i have the social circle but yes, family is not nearby so we drive on friday nights. I hate doing it but i guess when we do keep shmorei, we will have to stay over at ILs...... not great though.

I am helping a friend go kosher this year. I did mine all alone and i wouldnt wish that on anyone. I do laugh now how easy it is but then i was soooo intimidated. I thought i was going to make a mistake by just dripping water in the wrong sink lol. I have calmed down a lot but if i need help i buzz either a friend or my rebbitzing (though she is Lubavitch and i tad but extremem for me).
June 2nd, 2009, 08:22 AM
Wow. 40 minutes. shew. Where do you live? Is there an arev in the area. I am luckily in one so its not as hectic with kids....I live about 10 minutes from Shul. I have lots of friends. We are usually at shul on saturdays and even walk so i have the social circle but yes, family is not nearby so we drive on friday nights. I hate doing it but i guess when we do keep shmorei, we will have to stay over at ILs...... not great though.

I am helping a friend go kosher this year. I did mine all alone and i wouldnt wish that on anyone. I do laugh now how easy it is but then i was soooo intimidated. I thought i was going to make a mistake by just dripping water in the wrong sink lol. I have calmed down a lot but if i need help i buzz either a friend or my rebbitzin (though she is Lubavitch and i tad but extreme for me).
June 2nd, 2009, 06:40 PM
I live in Mexico City and we don't have an eruv in this area. The reason we live a little far fro mshul is that we go to my mil's house on saturdays. I had found an apartment pretty much in front of the shul (which, BTW, happens to be in my boys' school) but that would mean not going to my mil at least until my boys were old enough for the walk.

Sharon
June 3rd, 2009, 01:48 AM
wow. you are a good DIL...... i commend you........
June 15th, 2009, 05:46 PM
I'm Sam, Sadie's Mommy!!!
I worry very much about not being more observant. I have yet to make the leap of going kosher (which I really would love to do) or being shomer shabbos (which would also be wonderful!)! Unfortunately, I live about a 30 mile drive from shul (none closer of any denomination, Bible Belt). As for going kosher. I try to do it in regards to the dietary laws, but my kitchen is under renovation and in no way would be easy to be a kosher kitchen. DH did mention that he would be willing to put in a kosher kitchen and I thought that was very sweet given he is not Jewish. Though we do practice Judaism together. I am seriously considering taking him up on it, but I need to make sure he REALLY understands what it's about, kwim?

ANyway, yes, especially since Sadie was born, it weighs on my mind quite a bit...
June 17th, 2009, 02:04 AM
Hi Sam,

I would def consider putting in an extra sink while you are renovating.... it makes the whole kosher issue soooo much easier. DH and I practised for a year before going the full hog. Why not do that first and then you and DH can ease yourself into it.......
June 17th, 2009, 06:18 PM
I would agree with the double sink. I only have one and although it's not the end of the world, it does present certain difficulties. Butthat's pretty much the only think you would need to have two of. Some peole misunderstand that you need two ovens, fridges, etc. Not necessarily. I have one oven, and I simply "kasherize" it between dairy and meat meals. We're mostly dairy people, anyway.

Sharon
June 17th, 2009, 08:50 PM
rebeccabaltimore and more's Avatar (rebeccabaltimore)
I did for a long time. But now . . . it's hard enough just keeping shabbos. I can't bring myself to say kaddish and haven't been to synagogue since Ethan died. I hate to be Debbie Downer, but I feel kind of betrayed by God. I'm sure I'll find my way back, but for right now all I can manage is the basics. It's definitely going to be awhile before I go back to teaching Hebrew school.

Thank you Vicki for my awesome siggy!!

June 18th, 2009, 04:27 AM
aw honey. I cant imagine how you feel and its natural to feel anger at things.... i was angry at G-d my whole life pretty much for giving me a horrid family. I seeked councelling and am very happy as a person, but its hard and constant work. Hashem does things we sometimes dont understand. Take time. Heal and in time you will learn to move on past the pain....

(hugs)

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search