Christmas menorah?

Forum: Jewish Parenting

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Jewish Parenting LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 13th, 2009, 10:25 AM
Jenna's Avatar AWESOME!!!
Hi! Dropping in with a question, because I'm thinking if anyone can answer this question it's you ladies!
About ten years ago, I saw two menorahs that intrigued me, and I'd like to find one like them. One was pewter, the other was glazed/painted ceramic. The center candle holder was in the shape of a Christmas tree, and the eight surrounding were in the shape of presents. At the time, I just thought "oh, that's neat!", but now I have a friend who's Jewish, married to a Christian, whose Jewish beliefs are getting set aside in the raising of their kids. (Does that make sense? I'm not great at explaining things... ie - they celebrate Christmas, not Hanukkah.) I'd really like to find one for him so he can try to incorporate his religion into his family's holiday celebrations. Any thoughts on where I could find something like this?
August 19th, 2009, 07:53 AM
Super Mommy
Hi Jenna,

Your feelings are wonderful and you are commended for caring so much about your friend. I have to ask why it matters? He made a choice to marry a non jew and since his wife isnt jewish, his kids arent either.

I wonder what point there is to get a christmas type menorah? its not possible to integrate religions at all. by doing so you are creating something which is neither christian nor jewish.

Judasim doesnt have room for integration with any other religion. there arent any christmas trees in Hanukah (it was about a dessert revolt????) its not in competition to christmas.

This is unfortunately the reality of mixed marriages.

Dx - unicornuate uterus - ask me, i am not shy
August 20th, 2009, 03:03 AM
mamabeeto3's Avatar Super Mommy
I do agree with Ima. But unfortunately integration is a part of life it seems. I know those that have a Chanukah Bush (I am totally against it). The holidays are amazingly the same time of the year, but are not remotely similiar. Chanukah is one of the most minor holidays, yet most recognizable in the Jewish religion.

Can you tell me the reason that gifts are placed under a Christmas Tree? Why was a Christmas Tree - which is knowingly a PAGAN symbol - adopted for this holiday???

Chanukah has and always will be about the Jews/Macabbee's revolt against Antiochus and then the miracle of the oil that wasn't supposed to last for 1 day let alone 8 days. The oil was for the ner tamid. Each part of Chanukah has a reason and meaning behind it. Even the gift giving which has evolved over the years from the giving of gelt (money - not chocolate coins) to the giving of gifts.
August 20th, 2009, 10:30 AM
Jenna's Avatar AWESOME!!!
Thank you both for your honesty and frankness. Please forget I asked anything. I'm going to go sit in the corner now.
August 20th, 2009, 11:58 AM
rebeccabaltimore and more's Avatar (rebeccabaltimore)
I don't think it's a horrible idea. I was born and raised Jewish, but my mom is Christian (that's acceptable in Reform Judaism, since I was RAISED Jewish) so I've had some exposure to Christmas and things like that through her side of the family. Maybe a Christmas menorah would inspire your friend to expose his children to the history of our people. That would be a pretty good thing I think - as a Lubovitch Rabbi friend of mine once said, every little extra observance brings us closer to God.

Unfortunately, I don't actually know where to find one. But I'm sure they're out there, maybe you could google "christmas menorah" or "christmas hanukkiah" and see what you get?

Thank you Vicki for my awesome siggy!!

November 17th, 2009, 08:44 AM
Poor Jenna. Don't sit in the corner, it's good to ask questions!

I am what they call a Jew by choice, meaning that it is my chosen religion. I didn't convert because my husband is Jewish (in fact he isn't) I did it because it's my strong belief. Unfortunately being a Jew by choice, both of our extended families are "christian" so they celebrate xmas. We do both.

I know a LOT of people who are born Jewish, celebrate Hanukkah and xmas. In the US it's just really a cultural celebration for some people and it's hard for kids not to participate. So every year we joke about adding Kwanza to our festivities for the next year and we celebrate both.

One thing I've learned over the years is how easily it was for my kids to associate themselves as Jewish. They love Hanukkah. We do the first night and last night with Potato Latkes and apple sauce and a nice dinner. The kids remind me to light the menorah each night, and each night we talk about why its important to remember the freedom of celebrating yourself religiously. It's just a really good time to sit down and talk to your kids. Our xmas tree is decorated in whites and blues so that even when we open presents at xmas, they still see the symbols of Judaism around them.

I love what Rebecca said extra observance brings us closer to G-d. That's so true. For me, thats what being Jewish is all about, about taking every moment of every day and living in a good way. What more could you want out of life?
November 25th, 2009, 04:43 AM
Super Mommy
very interesting discussion.......

Dx - unicornuate uterus - ask me, i am not shy

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search