Where do you begin?

Forum: Jewish Parenting

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Jewish Parenting LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
December 21st, 2009, 07:36 AM
MotherFrog's Avatar lost in la la land
I haven't followed with either religion from both sides of my family and I'd like to start. My mothers family is Lutheran and I've been to Lutheran services since I was little but it was never a constant thing. My fathers family (who was hid from me till I was 18, another story) is Jewish and I barely know anything about that part of me. I have a great relationship with my father but I'd like to learn more about my Jewish side. Not sure if I'm wording this right at all, so forgive me.

Where do I begin?

What is allowed and what isn't? Do you have to follow all the rules or is there a more relaxed part of it?

December 27th, 2009, 07:36 AM
no one?

December 28th, 2009, 10:32 PM
Online resource: aish hatorah...a huge, wonderful website with tons of information on all things Jewish. It is written from a traditional perspective.

I don't know where you live, but you could look to see if there is a local Aish branch or a "community kollel". These are groups that do what is referred to as "outreach". They are, IMHO, very welcoming and non-judgemental.

There are several different branches of Judaism (Reform, Conservative, Reconstructionist, Orthodox) and each one has different takes on what is "allowed" and what is not. Orthodox follow all of the rules. However, the outreach groups that I talked about above believe in the concept of "one mitzvah (commandment) at a time" and don't feel that Judaism is all or nothing. Reform is the most liberal branch and the others fall somewhere inbetween.

Good luck on your journey!

Basherte
December 29th, 2009, 09:24 PM
rebeccabaltimore and more's Avatar (rebeccabaltimore)
Where are you located? If you are interested in exploring Reform Judaism I can make some suggestions, and maybe even find you a resource center in your area.

Thank you Vicki for my awesome siggy!!

December 30th, 2009, 09:18 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebeccabaltimore View Post
Where are you located? If you are interested in exploring Reform Judaism I can make some suggestions, and maybe even find you a resource center in your area.
See, that's where I get confused. I can't find anything here, although I've seen a little white building clear across town with the Star of David on it. There is never anyone in the parking lot and it's always dark. I live in the Sioux City, Iowa area and I'm stuck.

I'd appreciate the help Rebecca!

January 3rd, 2010, 08:49 PM
rebeccabaltimore and more's Avatar (rebeccabaltimore)
I've contacted my BIL, he's very involved in the Jewish community all over the US and will have some helpful resources for you

Thank you Vicki for my awesome siggy!!

January 4th, 2010, 11:28 AM
Oh thank you so much Rebecca!

How are you doing hun?

April 3rd, 2010, 02:15 PM
Do you realize that someone with a non Jewish mother is not considered Jewish by the Jewish religion? I also recommend Aish dot com for all information relating to Judaism.
Best of luck.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search