Do I belong here?

Forum: Jewish Parenting

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Jewish Parenting LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 19th, 2006, 10:30 PM
Saigon's Avatar Mega Super Mommy

Let me first off introduce myself. I am Christina. I am 23 and happily married to Keven. We have 2 children Brandon (2) and Samantha (3 weeks)

I found this board a few days ago and was intrigued. Below is an entry from my blog and it sums up everything pretty well. Any advice is greatly appreciated and I am not sure if I should be here or not so I am leaving that up to you..
I am wanting to convert to Judaism. I was told to get in touch with the local congregation and to speak to the Rabbi...Well northwest Arkansas does not have a very large jewish community and I have talked to the student rabbi on a few occasions...about a year ago. I met with some local people that converted and decided that I would take a year to truly soul search and decide if this is what is best for me. I have avoided major discussion about it because I do not want to be swayed by anyone but myself. Well it has been over a year. . . And I am approaching the date that I set to make a decision. My choices are:

A) Go forth with the conversion process
B) take another 6 months to learn and to think and meditate on it
C) give it up completely and move on or
D) be no further along than I was a year ago

I know C and D are out...and B is quickly slipping

I have asked myself the following questions:

Why do I wish to convert?

I want to be part of the community that I feel an affinty for. I feel a connection spiritually and emotionally. I want to spend a life time learning about the life cycle and G-d. I want to feel that fulfiment I experienced at that first shabbos dinner throughout my every day life..

Can I lead a devout jewish life?

Yes, with support and understanding and a desire to learn more I know I can. It will be very difficult and I will stumble..but with a supportive community I think I can do it
Will I raise my children as jews and to keep a jewish home?

Will my family support my decision?

Yes, my parents may have reservations at first...but it is my life. My husband supports me in anything I need/want to do and will do whatever he needs to do to support me in that

Am I ready to embark on a lifelong change? And a process that will take a lifetime?

Yes. I feel that I have been on this path for many years and I know I will always be adding to my knowledge and always learning and experiencing it. I am eager for it

Can I give up the teachings of my youth and break from the family religion?
I was raised in a "Christian" family...however we never went to church as a family, it was more of a secular upbringing

I know the answers to all of these...yet it is hard to form into words...I know in my heart that I am a happy and excited about this...Wether or not I will ever be accepted into the jewish community as such or not. .. I will always see my self in the same boat if you will. I want to be accepted but even if I am not...I plan to lead a jewish life...I just don't exactly know how to go about that. Wether it be a life of solitude or persecution...I will be there...

I know what I believe. I know why I believe what I do...

I know there is a higher power I know G-d exists. Although I dont invision what he/she/it looks like if anything at all. I know there is only one though...one true power over all others.

I guess the problem I have always had with Christianity is that I never felt as if I was communicating with G-d. I felt like I had to go through other channels. Praying to Jesus in hopes that G-d got the message...if that makes any sense..I want my prayers to be to G-d not to his answering service.

In Exodus G-d chose the people of Israel to be the chosen ones above all others if they listened and kept his covenant.

I believe that we as humans are responsible for our own good and evil...it is up to us to chose the good..

I don'e necessarily believe in heaven and hell. Even as a child I alwas saw the afterlife differently than others... I dont think one thing will banish you to a life of fire and brimstone. But it will diminsh the light of G-d you feel...you will be further from the love and light.

I know this is off the wall and is a jumbling of nonsensical words. But you all seem to very understanding. I hope you can help....

Any advice? any one been through this or know of others that have? Is a conversion even possible?
May 20th, 2006, 04:36 AM
Super Mommy
Both my parents are jewish. My "sister" came from Poland to be a nanny for my little brother. She was catholic living with my jewish family. She got to know our traditions (reform non kosher) holidays, temple (once a month for family services) etc and I guess just fell in love with the tradiations. She decided to convert and that she only wanted to marry a jewish guy. She infact did both and is raising her 2 daughters in the jewish faith. I think the decision is up to you. The most important question is how are you and DH going to raise your children?
Dh being supportive is great but you must know what the future is for your children what are they going to be raised to believe. How are you going to handle bris, bar mitvahs weddings and holidays for your family. Iknow there are "mixed" religous families but a united front is much easier and less confuaing for the children. That is just my 2 cents.
Go with your heart. I think you know exactly what you want to do!

Good luck

Either way you are always welcome here!!!

May 20th, 2006, 06:37 PM
rachna's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I would say conversion is totally possible although i knew Jews dont make it easy for you The point is that it needs to be your decision not someone trying to pressure you into something.

all I can say is that if you choose to belong you are 100% welcome here
May 22nd, 2006, 01:58 AM
DH and I have agreed that we will raise our children in the jewish faith but be honest about our struggles to discover our beliefs when they are old enough to understand.

As far as family holidays..we will make our own traditions away from our families and celebrate secular holidays with them
May 22nd, 2006, 07:46 AM
Llamamama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
I would say conversion is totally possible although i knew Jews dont make it easy for you The point is that it needs to be your decision not someone trying to pressure you into something.

all I can say is that if you choose to belong you are 100% welcome here [/b]

I totally agree

Also... How close are you to Tulsa?? My family is there and I have a Rabbi there who I completely trust and adore. He has been so helpful in my own searches and struggles and I would be happy to give you his name and contact information if you would like to speak with someone else.

My boys are beautiful and look forward to meeting the new member of our family

@LizPW on Twitter or find me on my blog
May 23rd, 2006, 01:35 AM
Llamamama~Tulsa is about 1 1/2- 2 hours away. depending on traffic. Would love the info if you don't mind

you can PM me or email me @ Christina(dot)holmes(@)gmail.com

Thank you!

Thanks for listening girls...I knew you would all be pretty understanding and supportive
May 23rd, 2006, 08:17 AM
I PM'd you the information. Please let me know if you have any questions!

June 9th, 2006, 09:57 PM
Quote:
I PM'd you the information. Please let me know if you have any questions![/b]

Thanks again Liz! I got the info and sent an email. I am scheduling time to go to Tulsa to get everything started. Thank you so much! I am really excited
June 11th, 2006, 07:19 PM
Quote:
Thanks again Liz! I got the info and sent an email. I am scheduling time to go to Tulsa to get everything started. Thank you so much! I am really excited[/b]
I'd love to hear how it goes! I love Rabbi Fitzerman!
My family is there in Tulsa. I think we'll be coming in for either the high holidays or hannukah.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search