Does this bug you

Forum: Jewish Parenting

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Jewish Parenting LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 18th, 2007, 01:04 PM
rachna's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I dont know how to word this but does it bug you when people who are not Jewish make a big deal out of knowing about judaism?

Two examples, the school psychologist where I work (who is an idiot!) made a comment to me when I came back from maternity leave that it was exciting that I got a baby for Hannukkah. She said it in a way that was like "see I know you are Jewish and I know about Hannukkah" but it was strange my son ws born in September how is he a Hannukkah present? I should have said "actually I got him for Rosh Hashana!" (he was due on the holiday, born 2 days after)

Yesterday a teacher came up to me and told me his class watched a video on Judaism. I was like...okay. I wanted to say "really I watched a video the other day on african americans!" (the teacher was african american). I just find it odd.

Its like people trying to prove to me that they are diverse and understand different religions. I dont need it proven to me I really dont care all that much if they know about it or not
January 18th, 2007, 05:55 PM
Super Mommy
Yes, it's true--

My DH and i were remodeling one of our bathrooms and we were interviewing contractors. Well one contractor came into our house, and between our last name and our mezzuzah, figured we were jewish. As he's going through his whole "sell" to us, he says, "oh, i just want you to know that all the foremen on my crew are orthadox Jews; they're very good foremen." So my husband and I try not to crack up, and after he left I was like, Um, I'm not sure jewish men are known for their construction ability. The only reason he said that was because he knew we were Jews!

Eli Mason born September 1st, 2006
January 19th, 2007, 11:55 AM
Mom2DavidandAaron's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I think many people try to give the image of being very PC. It's like they're saying "I' m way cool because I like Jews". Well, I always think "is there a reason why you shouldn't like Jews?" Many people think that being so accepting makes them special.
Having said that, there's one thing I just can't stand- any person saying something that may be considered "non-PC", to put it nicely, and then dismiss it with the but-don't-get-me-wrong-I-have-Jewish-friends argument. Like that fixes the insulting commetn somehow...

Sharon
January 28th, 2007, 07:58 AM
Super Mommy
Like the seinfeld episode "not that there is anything wrong with it"

I guess it bothers me more the "non PC" stuff. I hate christmas time when everyone says merry christmas and assumes that I celebrate it. I hate hearing christmas is an american holiday. I hate hearing (even heard it from my granmother which shocked me" Santa is just an american icon not a religous entity. I hate thta stores still open late on sunday and they don't sell beer before 12 because of church?!

I guess I am bothered by a few things.

Stacy

January 28th, 2007, 08:18 AM
Llamamama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
So my husband and I try not to crack up, and after he left I was like, Um, I'm not sure jewish men are known for their construction ability.[/b]
heh that cracked me up

I dont let it bug me.. sometimes people unknowingly put their foot in their mouth and I just smile and move on.

My boys are beautiful and look forward to meeting the new member of our family

@LizPW on Twitter or find me on my blog

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search