Visiting with some questions

Forum: Jewish Parenting

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Jewish Parenting LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 12th, 2007, 01:04 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Hello, I have some questions I was hoping you could answer. I have a wonderful neighbor and friend that just moved in from Israel. She said she is secular Jewish, she has two sweet boys Or and Eitan. She is really sweet and I was just curious about what some of you believe. Are there any of you who have lived in Israel or are from there? I like talking with her a lot and love hearing about her country and what she believes. I am asking also because in no way do I want to offend her and assume she believes one way or whatever. She is very nice and speaks English like she has lived her forever, I think she learned it there. Anyway, I was just curious and would love some input. TIA

Mommy to 6 year old Emily and 3 year old Lindsey!

June 12th, 2007, 04:30 PM
Mom2DavidandAaron's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Hello, I have some questions I was hoping you could answer. I have a wonderful neighbor and friend that just moved in from Israel. She said she is secular Jewish, she has two sweet boys Or and Eitan. She is really sweet and I was just curious about what some of you believe. Are there any of you who have lived in Israel or are from there? I like talking with her a lot and love hearing about her country and what she believes. I am asking also because in no way do I want to offend her and assume she believes one way or whatever. She is very nice and speaks English like she has lived her forever, I think she learned it there. Anyway, I was just curious and would love some input. TIA[/b]
I lived in Israel for two years, but it was a looooong time ago. I was 10 when we moved there and 12 when we got back, so my knowledge of Israel is way past its expiration date.
You know, personally I never get offended by honest mistakes and curiosity, so I don't see why she would be offended by anything you do or say. Obviously your intentions are good,, or you wouldn't be here so why not be honest and ask her whatever you wish to know? I'm currently not a secular Jew, I went orthodox a few years back, but I grew up in a secular home and still have secular parents and in laws. That pretty much means that their level of observance is limited. She may not keep a kosher home or observe shabbath, for example. Things that she probably observes, even as a reform Jew are a Passover seder, the High holidays, bar/bat mitzvah and brit milah, which are pretty much the universal practices to all Jews, regardless of affiliation.
Just be yourself and don't be afraid to ask questions, I know that when honest curiosity and desire to learn are the reasons, I'm always more than happy to answer these questions and are never offended by them.

Sharon
June 16th, 2007, 05:36 PM
Julka
I lived in Israel for 7.5 years... I'd say go ahead and ask her whatever you'd like to know, in a friendly respectful manner.
Just ask her because in the process you'll also learn what she believes and why she believes it, etc. so you'll be able to get to know her better and see where she's coming from, and at the same time she'll see how interested you're in her background and beliefs and would probably only be happy to tell you.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search