Men & Miscarriage

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Pregnancy Loss Information and FAQs LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 16th, 2012, 07:05 PM
.:Shortcake:.'s Avatar ♬♪Music Soothes my Soul♪♬
Miscarriage is a tragedy, however statistically common it is and at whatever stage of pregnancy it happens.

It is of course natural and right that any woman who has experienced a miscarriage should be given all the medical help and emotional and physical support and comfort possible.

Itís also important to consider that the male partner / husband is also very likely to be grieving the loss of an unborn child, and also needs support and the space to come to terms with his own emotions.

This article draws together some helpful advice for men on how to cope with miscarriage and how best to support their partner/wife, based on resources from around the web and from personal experience.

How ďshouldĒ you be feeling?

Some articles on this subject, suggest that men emotionally ďmove onĒ quicker than women, but the fact is that everyone is different.

You may find that you donít react much when you first find out about the miscarriage, and that emotions ó ranging from deep sorrow to anger to frustration to feelings of helplessness ó come on weeks or even months later.

Thereís no right or wrong answer. This is grief, and you have to deal with it in your own way. Typical feelings men experience after miscarriage is a useful primer for both men and women on this.

Communication is Key

No matter how you or your partner may be feeling, reacting and coping with the miscarriage, it is vital that you donít stop communicating with one another.

The fact is that you are the only two people who know exactly what youíre going through, and though it can be helpful for one or both of you to talk to friends, family or counsellors, you can also be each otherís strength.

The fact is that communication is key to creating and maintaining strong relationships, but particularly during stressful, highly emotional situations like coping with miscarriage.

Grieve alone, and grieve together. Tell your partner how you are feeling and allow her to tell you the same ó and acknowledge and empathise with her.

Is It My Fault?

Attributing blame to one or other partner after a miscarriage is extremely unhealthy and should be avoided.

There may be a medical reason which increases the likelihood of a miscarriage, but unfortunately pregnancy loss (particularly early, such as in the first three months) is also considered fairly ďnormalĒ.

Laboratory research shows that it is possible for abnormalities to cause a pregnancy to fail ó often had the pregnancy gone to full term the baby may well have had a disability anyway so it can sometimes be seen as natureís way of disallowing unhealthy foetuses to live.

Thatís all very clinical, though.

If you and your partner have experienced several miscarriages, it is definitely worth consulting your doctor and having tests to establish whether anything is wrong, and whether some forms of medication may help during pregnancy.

In any case, in the general run of things itís not really anyoneís ďfaultĒ, and even if there is a medical condition itís often something that can be sorted out.

How can I best support my partner?

The article Miscarriage: how men can deal with it offers advice for supporting your partner after a miscarriage:

1.) Understand that she will be upset and you canít fix the problem. You need to be supportive, understanding and appreciate that there will be a grieving process which will take time.

2.) Understand that even if itís very early stage pregnancy she will feel like she has lost a baby, even if you donít. Saying things like ďdonít worry it was only the size of a tic-tacĒ isnít going to be much help.

3.) Give her lots of support. She needs to know that you love her.

4.) Itís important to re-enforce that itís not her fault. Itís quite possible she may try and blame herself for something she did or didnít do but itís highly unlikely the loss had anything to do with her actions. I could write a whole article just on this point but from listening to many men talk about miscarriage, almost all said that their partners felt like she was to blame.

5.) Encourage her to talk to her female friends and family who have had children. Itís very likely some will have been through the experience and will be able to offer support and advice.

6.) Understand that a pregnant woman is a sea of hormones and those hormones are still running wild after the loss. Know the signs of depression and seek medical advice if you feel she isnít coping well after a week or two.

7.) As guys we like to try and fix problems but sometimes you just need to provide a shoulder to cry on and an ear to talk to. Donít take it personally or get frustrated that you canít make her forget about it.

8.) Spend as much time with her as you can and remain positive about having kids. Having one miscarriage isnít necessarily a sign that you will have more so focus on staying healthy and having another go when the time is right.

My male friends are unsympathetic

Sometimes it may seem that your male friends arenít particularly sympathetic to how youíre feeling.

We could put some of this down to the stereotypical guy who doesnít like to share or show emotions much, or it could just be that you havenít told them how youíre feeling.

Donít forget that every man is in a different situation. Single guys may well not understand, married-with-kids guys may well have experience of miscarriage but find it difficult to come alongside you unsolicited.

How do you cope with the sarcastic or seemingly unhelpful comments? I guess it depends on how much it bothers you.

If you can just brush off the ďoh well, you donít really want kids yetĒ or ďyou can have my kidsĒ comments (and their many derivatives) then fine ó remember that your partner is probably your main confidant and strength anyway.

If not, you need to politely explain that some of their comments arenít helpful, that youíre happy to talk about the situation with them (if indeed you are) but that the jokes, however well-meaning (bloke diversionary tactics) arenít helping you.

Donít let anyone try to cajole you into ďmoving onĒ Ė your grief takes as long as it takes.

What about ďtrying againĒ after miscarriage?

At some time after a miscarriage you will both be ready to try to conceive again.

It is really important not to rush things, and to try to understand how each other is feeling.

Conceiving after miscarriage is a really useful article looking at the subject from both female and male perspectives.

Resources

My Angels- 12-15-08 @ 13w3d♥ 05-09 @ 6w2d♥ & 2 Early Losses♥ Twins 9-7-10♥ & 10-2-10 ♥ 2/11/11

Want a siggy in a hurry? Check out my Siggy Express Lane
My blog

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search