We pride ourselves on having the friendliest
and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment
for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers.
If you have any problems registering please drop an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!
so at my last appointment I talked to the Dr about this test as it is optional and its just basically detection to let us know and there really isnt anything that we can be done after the results other than if we decided to terminate the pregnancy...well i knew that wasnt an option and since i am super anal or anxious, i felt that knowing would only stress me out the rest of my pregnancy especially if there really isnt any purpose other than being aware and preparing so i decided ignorance is bliss...i will cross that bridge when and if we get there...totally felt comfortable with my decision but when i went for my appt yesterday the nurse said "so your not doing the quad testing? because we dont have your consent" and so i started second guessing my decision....do i really not want to know? what good will it do me? if its negative, i am in the same mind set i am now...if its positive, i will constantly be worrying and over thinking it and just be a hot mess.
geesh i am such an indecisive person that when i finally make a decision....dont ask me again? because i start second guessing my initial decision and start the whole process over again..oh my poor family that have to live with me
It didn't make a difference to me either.... but I did decide to go ahead with the test anyways.... I like to be able to prepare myself for anything that may or could come along.... I got my test results back today and they are negative.... so for me its one less thing that needs to be prepared for.
A BIG thank you to *Kiliki* for my beautiful siggy!
I opted not to because it seemed unnecessary to me since it wouldn't have changed anything. My doctor told me about half of her patients decide not to, so I'm not sure why they asked you again about it.
see that's my thought as well so I am just going to pass...the nurse asked me as she was going over my file, I assume to make sure I don't want to bc I think they want to do it between 15-20 weeks n my next visit will be at apprx 20 weeks
I always opt to do it. Not that if it came back to where I would need further testing that I would terminate the pregnancy, but in the case that it would suspect something like neural tube defects I would really like to prepare myself for this emotionally and for the delivery of the baby in the safest way possible.
I didn't my first two chidlren's pregnancies but I did this time. No reason really, just that they were drawing my blood for TSH and the fasting diabetes test anyway so I thought WTH. I had great numbers on my nuchal screen so I'm really not that worried, even if they had come back positive. Plus, I'll be having my level II u/s next week which will give us a much more definitive picture. That is the one that I'm nervous about.
I think it's just fine that you skipped it, I skipped it my last two times because of the false positive rates.
We are skipping this one, we did the NT scan and got good results. In addition that test give a lot of false positives and that would add so much stress and worry that for me personally I don't think it is worth it.
I am 36, so I opted to do it as well. My DH and I said if any of the tests (2 blood draws and NT scan) came back off we would do the amnio. I am not sure what I will do now because first blood test came back fine, NT results were great....so if this last blood test comes back wacky...I am not sure I would do the amnio. Hopefully, I won't have to make that call and the numbers will be okay.
If you are not going to do any further testing and/or results will stress you out more...I think you are making the right decision about not doing the testing
I'm having it done next Tuesday. As other said, I just wanted it for piece of mind and in the case that something does show up, I really want the time to be able to prepare myself for whatever may come and to know what to expect for baby's arrival.
Im getting it done on Thursday, and I have it done with all of my 6 baby's, so not doing it would I guess stress me out more. However, my Dr. really looks for the screening of the AFP more than the DS and Trisomy. He feels the NT test is a better gage of the later two and this one done at 16-20wks is better for the AFP as this is the time they would secreat the hormone into your blood stream. Made sense, so being 41, I want to prepare for any issues ahead of time.
Thank you Shortcake for my beautiful siggy..]
Momma of 7 beautiful children now. Most recent is Jerry Jr. born 11/19/12 at 37wk, 7lbs 6oz and 19.5inches. Momma of 5 angels. New siggy to come! l