Crying It Out

Forum: Traditional Parenting

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Traditional Parenting LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
December 28th, 2005, 10:28 AM
jodi16ss's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
When my son, who is almost 3 now, was an infant, I never had to let him CIO for longer than 5 minutes. It was like he knew what was going on and he always quit crying quickly!

I wonder if this next baby will be the same (I am 16 weeks pregnant).. What is the max time you would allow baby to CIO?

Proud Mommy to Jackson (5/1/03) & Isabella (6/16/06)
December 28th, 2005, 11:10 AM
dkmommy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
DS was never much of a crier, and DD is not one either. so I have never actually had to have them CIA - guess i am a fortunate one
December 28th, 2005, 11:44 AM
fka teresarunningmommy
I've used cry-it-out with some of my kids and not with others. I think it really depends on the kid. My ds Steven was very sensitive to everything. When he was tired, he needed absolute quiet, not to be touched or stimulated in any way. I would put him in the crib and he would fall asleep usually within a few minutes. I remember my mother-in-law sitting there rocking him in a chair for hours and he was screaming and crying and I was so frustrated. I wanted to say would you just put him down in the crib so he can sleep. Now my ds Kaelan was quite the opposite. He needed to be held and rocked to get to sleep. I think every kid is different and one approach doesn't fit all.

Teresa

Check out my running blog - Wannabe Running Mama
December 28th, 2005, 01:26 PM
Twinkle's Avatar Platinum Super Mommy
I completely agree with you Teresa! I don't have two children yet, but as a previous nanny, what worked with one child would never work with another.

With dd we did the CIO method at around 8 months. I was lucky though, she only ever cried for about 5-10 minutes before going to sleep. If I had to wait longer I probably wouldn't have followed through with the CIO method.

Check out Justmommies Blogs!

Are you interested in hosting a chat? Or maybe setting up a chat time for your board? Send me a PM for openings and more information!!
December 28th, 2005, 03:07 PM
Rachel's Avatar Just Rachel
Send a message via Yahoo to Rachel
Neely and I keep arguing about this. I just can't do it for long. I have let him cry-it-out in the car seat when there was nothing I could do. He didn't last very long tho.
December 28th, 2005, 04:02 PM
~*Dina*~'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I havent used CIO with Hannah yet. But with my older 2 I did. I would say I would only let them CIO no more than 10 minutes or so. They usually fell asleep before then anyways.
With my little Hannah I just cant do it yet.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

December 28th, 2005, 08:28 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to MommaDucks Send a message via Yahoo to MommaDucks
only in the car and for a max of three minutes if i am trying to do something...i know selfish mommy

Nicole: Tom's Wife [5.7.05]; Mommy of Thomas [9.6.05], Collin [1.17.08], & Bailey [10.2.09]
December 29th, 2005, 09:40 AM
MinnesotaMommy
Depends on the mood I'm in and how tired I was, weither I let them CIO. I did it a time or two with all 3.
December 29th, 2005, 02:51 PM
~Casey~'s Avatar GraceNorraJennaMomma
Send a message via MSN to ~Casey~
Grace usually is crying for something in particular, so it is usually easily calmed. The only time I really have to let her CIO is when she has been overstimulated or not put down for a proper nap. That ususally only happens after my MIL has had her. At that point there isn't anyhting else left to do but let her cry herself to sleep because she will cry no matter what at that point, and if I'm rocking her and then lay her down we start the cycle all over again. That may last for about 20 mins or so.

December 29th, 2005, 08:17 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I've let all my kids CIO at least once, and let them cry for a long time (it seemed like an eternity)
It usually happened after they had been sick and they figured they would cry to make their mom run. If I knew for sure there was nothing wrong with them I would let them cry. It was awfull, but the next night going to bed would go smoothly.

My baby is almost 2 months and the poor thing is so gassy and uncomfortable, so I pick her up pretty much right away.
December 29th, 2005, 08:41 PM
SavaAngel's Avatar Mama to AJ & Katie
Send a message via AIM to SavaAngel Send a message via Yahoo to SavaAngel
My SIL told me that she would let hers cry for a little while, but if they cried for longer than an agreed specified time between her and her DH, then she would go and soothe the baby. She said with her oldest, all she had to do was rub his eye brows a few times and shush him, and he would go back to sleep. If he didn't she knew he needed something (changing, feeding, etc). All of her kids required a different trick to calm them down though.

I don't think I would do CIO with my kids until they got a bit older.

AJ (age 7) & Katie (age 2.5)
PM to see if I am available to make a siggy - decisions will be made on a case by case basis.

Katie's: BELLY PICS~ U/S PICS

December 29th, 2005, 08:51 PM
Ashes78
Xan isn't much of a crier so I have never had to do it with him. Zach on the other hand had colic really bad when he was a baby and cried and cried. We could rock him, sing to him, take him for a ride in the car and nothing helped so he got to cry it out once in a while.
December 29th, 2005, 09:51 PM
.Amanda.'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I've been pretty lucky in that River goes to bed pretty well. He starts rubbing his eyes, and all i have to do is lay him down with a pacifier and he goes right to sleep. Sometimes he wakes up and starts to cry, if i tend to him right away he keeps waking up every few minutes but if i let him cry for about 3-5 mintues then tend to him, he sleeps for hours. The longest i think i woudl let him CIO at his age now is 10 minutes.

January 2nd, 2006, 04:45 PM
JuneBug2006's Avatar Forever missing Gracie
I never really had to worry about letting him cry it out.... Unless he was hungry, tired, or needed diapering, he didn't cry much at all.......
Once he was fixed up, he was fine
January 2nd, 2006, 06:03 PM
Colee's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to Colee
With my daughter I didnt let her CIO until about 18mos old and it was soooo HARD! Ryan was colicky so I became very used to hearing him cry and me not able to do anything to calm him. He is pretty much over colic and I have begun to let him CIO....it doesnt bother me anymore to hear him cry a little at night to get comfy...and it usually only lasts 5 minutes and not full flegde screaming....longest I've gone is about 20 minutes...I know he is safe,feed,changed....he will be ok.....

</div>

</blockquote>
January 2nd, 2006, 06:07 PM
CeiCei's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to CeiCei Send a message via MSN to CeiCei Send a message via Yahoo to CeiCei
With my oldest I remember would cry 15 minutes tops...but I always made it a habit to check on him every 5 minutes so he wouldn't think I just left him there. With Little Ernest I put him in his swing and he cries no longer than 2 or 3 minutes. He is either out like a light or he decides to watch a little television until he falls asleep. The power of swings are wonderful!

My Three Princes: Cordell (23 y/o), Ernest (5 y/o), Robert (4 y/o)

January 2nd, 2006, 06:09 PM
~Casey~'s Avatar GraceNorraJennaMomma
Send a message via MSN to ~Casey~
Quote:
I've been pretty lucky in that River goes to bed pretty well. He starts rubbing his eyes, and all i have to do is lay him down with a pacifier and he goes right to sleep. Sometimes he wakes up and starts to cry, if i tend to him right away he keeps waking up every few minutes but if i let him cry for about 3-5 mintues then tend to him, he sleeps for hours. The longest i think i woudl let him CIO at his age now is 10 minutes.[/b]
That sounds exactly like Grace, EXACTLY!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search