How were you raised?

Forum: Traditional Parenting

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Traditional Parenting LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
December 29th, 2005, 06:33 PM
~Casey~'s Avatar GraceNorraJennaMomma
Send a message via MSN to ~Casey~
Traditional, Attatched, or something different.

I was raised pretty traditionally, but my dh thinks I'm a little too attatched to my parents at times! LOL!

December 29th, 2005, 08:33 PM
SavaAngel's Avatar Mama to AJ & Katie
Send a message via AIM to SavaAngel Send a message via Yahoo to SavaAngel
I think I was raised more traditionally, but I think my mom used cloth diapers and I know she breastfed me. I am pretty sure my mom let me CIO! LOL

AJ (age 7) & Katie (age 2.5)
PM to see if I am available to make a siggy - decisions will be made on a case by case basis.

Katie's: BELLY PICS~ U/S PICS

December 29th, 2005, 09:14 PM
Ashes78
I was raised traditionally.
December 29th, 2005, 09:38 PM
.Amanda.'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
My parents and i were just talking about this a few weeks ago. Apparently they believed in the Dr. Spock method of raising babies. Now i've never read about this style myself but they told me that it was very much pro CIO. They told me they followed a bed time routine then put me in my crib to fall asleep. They said the first night i cried for an hour, the second for 45 minutes and on and on down to no crying by the end of the week. I didn't ask them what age they started doing this but i guess i was a good sleeper.

I on the other had could never let my baby cry for an hour, i let him CIO but go check on him every so often. I think the longest i've ever let him cry was about 15 minutes...

December 30th, 2005, 03:00 AM
**Mary**'s Avatar mom to Tabby,Kk,Emi & Jay
Send a message via AIM to **Mary** Send a message via Yahoo to **Mary**
I would say I was raised traditionally too I was bottle feed and wore regular diapers. but she did let us CIO but we wasn't bad cryers.

Mary
mom to: Tabitha 9,Katelyn 7,Emily 5,Jay 2 and Natalie Marie (5.31)

December 30th, 2005, 04:44 AM
jodi16ss's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I would have to say I was raised traditionally, but I was breastfed.

Proud Mommy to Jackson (5/1/03) & Isabella (6/16/06)
December 30th, 2005, 05:59 AM
wind_ryder's Avatar Super Mommy
Send a message via MSN to wind_ryder
I guess I was raised traditionally. I was breast fed, wore disposable diapers, slept in a crib in my own room, except when I was tiny (they had me sleep in a laundry basket...like a bassinet). The only time I crawled into bed with my parents was when I had a bad dream. I have no idea how I turned out so messed up. Go figure!
December 30th, 2005, 07:03 AM
amyla
I was raised 'traditionally'. However, my mom did use cloth diapers and only used disposable ones when they were going out. I guess that was when disposables were still new.

I was bottlefed, etc. I always knew my parents were the boss and I wasn't! I was taught that with adulthood comes certain privledges that children just don't get because they are just that, children. I didn't run the show, I was able to be taken to good restaurants because I KNEW BETTER than to act up, only a look from my mother would stop any misbehavior from me (that is what annoys me about my SO, his son in my SO's words is "not one you can take to dinner". the other night I told him, well MY child will be one we can take to dinner or at least I hope so, i will do everything to try to make that a reality!)

I think I was raised very well. I was incorporated into their lives, they didn't give up everything and lose themselves because they became parents. I hope to do the same.
December 30th, 2005, 09:04 AM
~*Dina*~'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I would say traditionally as well. But I wore cloth diapers. I was formula fed, I know my mom let us cry it out in our cribs, They NEVER let us sleep in there bed unless we had a bad dream and we had to sleep on dads side cuz MOM hated us kids sleeping in her bed.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

December 30th, 2005, 06:56 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
I would say traditionally as well. But I wore cloth diapers. I was formula fed, I know my mom let us cry it out in our cribs, They NEVER let us sleep in there bed unless we had a bad dream and we had to sleep on dads side cuz MOM hated us kids sleeping in her bed.[/b]
I was raised pretty much the same. Cloth diapers cuz that was the thing back then (if they had disposable my parents probably couldn't afford them back then). Formula fed, CIO, same with us about the sleeping situation...but slept with mom (only if sick or bad dream) cuz Dad didn't think kids belong in bed with you.
December 31st, 2005, 06:50 AM
tevinsangel
Traditional style, I was formula fed (Mom tried but couldnt breastfeed), they used cloth but had a diaper service, I'm pretty sure I CIO because my mother still uses the old advice of "it's good for their lungs" rolling my eyes on that one.. lol...did not sleep in their bed...I don't ever remember sleeping with them. If I was sick or had a bad dream, Mom slept on the floor in my room next to my bed.
December 31st, 2005, 08:43 PM
dkmommy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I was raised traditionally. bottle fed (mom and dad gave both brother and I cereal as soon as we got home from the hospital), CIO - we did get cloth diapered for a while, just cuz it was cheaper
December 31st, 2005, 09:25 PM
wclark602002's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
I was raised 'traditionally'. However, my mom did use cloth diapers and only used disposable ones when they were going out. I guess that was when disposables were still new.

I was bottlefed, etc. I always knew my parents were the boss and I wasn't! I was taught that with adulthood comes certain privledges that children just don't get because they are just that, children. I didn't run the show, I was able to be taken to good restaurants because I KNEW BETTER than to act up, only a look from my mother would stop any misbehavior from me (that is what annoys me about my SO, his son in my SO's words is "not one you can take to dinner". the other night I told him, well MY child will be one we can take to dinner or at least I hope so, i will do everything to try to make that a reality!)

I think I was raised very well. I was incorporated into their lives, they didn't give up everything and lose themselves because they became parents. I hope to do the same.[/b]
sounds like you got my mama and daddy..lol...im happy with how i grew up and i still have the utmost respect for them,i still tell them i love them everyday and i try my best to have my kids raised the same way.i think ive done a good job so far ...and as far as the looks mama and daddy both still use em...lol

Virtapay, alternative to paypal...its FREE!!!
http://www.virtapay.com/r/wclark602002
January 1st, 2006, 09:59 AM
MamaAshley's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Pretty much traditional, my mom was surprised I wanted to nurse my kids, even though only one of them took to it. My mom doesn't believe in letting a baby scream too long, but she also doesn't think crying will hurt them. Actually, my mom says she's more nervous and worried about it now that she has grandkids, she lives with us, and when I let the kids CIO she has to go in her room and can't bear to hear them cry, but she said it didn't bother her nearly as much when she let us cry...weird!

Ashley, pre-RN student, birth doula and busy SAHM to Brianne 6, Colin 5, Kylie 4,
Bryson 2,and our lil man Noah Alexander turns one year on 7/5/10!

January 2nd, 2006, 08:07 AM
~Casey~'s Avatar GraceNorraJennaMomma
Send a message via MSN to ~Casey~
Quote:

I think I was raised very well. I was incorporated into their lives, they didn't give up everything and lose themselves because they became parents. I hope to do the same.[/b]
My oarents were the boss. I got spanked once and never had to again. All it usually took was the "look". LOL! If you aren't the boss in the begnning when exactly do you get control back? Kids are smart, they will know early on if they are allowed to be the boss.

January 2nd, 2006, 05:18 PM
JuneBug2006's Avatar Forever missing Gracie
I dunno, I pretty much raised myself....

I know that in the beginning I was definately "traditionally" parented....
January 2nd, 2006, 05:56 PM
Colee's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to Colee
I would have to say a little bit of both...I was BF,wore cloth diapers,my Mom even made our clothes for awhile.I had my own bedroom but it wasnt unusual for me to make a bed on my paerents floor eveynight...or my sister's if my parents said no. The older I got,the more traditional my parents became...good balance,I guess

</div>

</blockquote>
January 3rd, 2006, 07:37 AM
CeiCei's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to CeiCei Send a message via MSN to CeiCei Send a message via Yahoo to CeiCei
I was raised very traditional. My mother was very strict and taught me to be independent. My sister on the other hand was raised traditional with attachment.

My Three Princes: Cordell (23 y/o), Ernest (5 y/o), Robert (4 y/o)

January 6th, 2006, 11:22 AM
Jennlou9's Avatar Regular
I thihk that most people over 18 were traditionaly raised. This new thing "attachement Parenting" is women with way to much time on their hands. I always said I would raise my kids the way my mom raised the 5 of us. We are all independent and healthy human beings, we aren't physo because we were spanked a few times. Like many of you said I knew who the boss was and it sure the heck wasn't me... and it won't be my kids!... I appraicate this board and gald to know that I am not the only one who doesn't like/agree with AP.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search