Potty Training

Forum: Traditional Parenting

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Traditional Parenting LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
December 30th, 2005, 04:42 AM
kellybee's Avatar Veteran
Send a message via AIM to kellybee
Maybe this is more for those who have been through it, but what are your thoughts on the right age for potty training? I personally don't believe in the "they'll do it when they're ready" school of thought. It seems over the years I've seen diapers coming in bigger and bigger sizes because parents have been told it's okay to let the kids tell us when they want to do it. I don't understand really why that is, since we don't usually let our kids decide other matters for themselves!

My daughter was trained right around two years old. Basically, we tried the pull-ups thing, but she pretty much figured they were just like diapers and was using them as such. So, when my husband was off work for one week, he told her, "That's it, no more pull ups, we're using big-girl underwear". She basically hung around the house in a t-shirt and underwear for a week. It only took one or two times of getting wet (eewww!) to figure the whole thing out and then she was using the potty.

I'm interested in what other moms think about this?

December 30th, 2005, 04:48 AM
jodi16ss's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I think that many parents wait too long to potty train their children, either because it is inconvenient or they aren't ready for their babies to grow up. My son was trained before he was 2 1/2 and I think that was a few months too lait!

** I think pull-ups are the wrong way to go when potty training. My son also thought they were a daiper and would just go in his pants.

Proud Mommy to Jackson (5/1/03) & Isabella (6/16/06)
December 30th, 2005, 06:05 AM
wind_ryder's Avatar Super Mommy
Send a message via MSN to wind_ryder
I'm going to start training as soon as I can. I've even read that you can start this before the end of the first year depending on the deleopment of your child (whether they can walk or talk at all by then). I don't believe in the pull-ups method. There is also the humiliation method where they pee themselves wearing panties and eventually start using the potty to avoid that. I'll be looking into it more but I'll be doing it before they are two yrs old.
December 30th, 2005, 10:49 AM
~*Dina*~'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Here's my peronal experience. I started potty training Caitlyn (8) at 18 months and she wasnt completely trained til she was 3 years old!!!
I tried everything. A new potty seat, I bought books, pull ups, pretty panties, rewards and stickers and NOTHING would help.
So I took her to the Dr for some help, and he told me "she has to do it on HER OWN she just wasnt ready". I totally believe that. I had the same problems with my son as well. So I do believe from my personal experience that the child has to be ready to do it on there own.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

December 30th, 2005, 06:42 PM
wclark602002's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
i never did the pullup things and you can start (if you feel your child will respond to it) before the 1st year..my son was fully potty trained at 12 months,but my daughter it took her until 15 months to get it,i started them both at the same age(11 months)so it really just depends on the child,ive known some to go until they were four not because they were lazy or because the parents didnt try but because they really couldnt control it,so good luck to everbody cuz your definately gonna need it...LOL

Virtapay, alternative to paypal...its FREE!!!
http://www.virtapay.com/r/wclark602002
December 31st, 2005, 07:11 AM
tevinsangel
I tried training my DD starting at a little over a year but she couldn't get the hang of it. We put her in underwear and she would just wet through them and then put them in the bathtub and put a pair of dry ones on. Finally somewhere around 2 1/2 years old, she just got the hang of it...literally it just seemed to happen overnight. Since then she has only had 2 night time accidents. I guess I'll start DS when he's probably around 15 to 18 months and then follow his lead.
December 31st, 2005, 08:43 AM
fka teresarunningmommy
Well, I've potty trained 4 kids now so here's my thoughts. My oldest I started potty training at 18 months. He was not officially potty trained until 3. My second oldest I started potty training about the same time. By 2 I was attimate he was going to be potty trained. We would sit on the potty for a half hour or even longer at a time. I would lug him up with water so he would just "have" to go. Guess what he didn't. He would hold it until I just had to get up to do something. You can't sit in the potty all day no matter how much you'd like to and low and behold he'd pee or poop somewhere. Then about 3 I finally said the heck with it. He ain't going. I can't make him. And I will not even go into all the ways I tried to make him go. He finally got it when he was almost FOUR! I was mortified to be one of "those" parents. My next kid I took a more laid back approach. I waited until he showed signs of interest and he potty trained right at his third birthday. My dd came along next. I was also very laid back with her. She potty trained exactly at 2 within a matter of 3 or 4 days with absolutely no effort on my part. So I guess my thoughts on this are that some kids are really easy to potty train and some aren't and in my experience the kids I tried to show "who was boss" were the ones that potty trained later. I am by no means saying completely wait until their ready. You do of course have to be the parent and take the lead, but what I am saying is until you are the parent in those shoes you really don't know how mortifying it is for parents to stare at you and make comments like "how can she let her kid sit in a diaper at that age?" Or "OMG, I can't believe you haven't potty trained him/her yet!"

Teresa

Check out my running blog - Wannabe Running Mama
December 31st, 2005, 09:08 AM
kellybee's Avatar Veteran
Send a message via AIM to kellybee
I guess my whole point is that I don't like this whole idea that's kind of being "pushed" (or so it seems to me) that if you just sit around and wait a kid will "let you know" when s/he is "ready" that it will just somehow magically happen. I'm sure there are some kids who are harder to train than others. I also don't think that just because a kid still has "accidents' doesn't mean they're not potty trained. My daughter wasn't an "accident kid" but some other kids have accidents but are still potty trained. I just don't like to see diaper companies making huge diapers and then telling parents it's totally cool to just keep waiting around for your kids let you know when they're ready to use the potty. kwim?

December 31st, 2005, 10:01 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I have to see signs of readiness, a child that is not physically ready can't help it.

I usually put them in panties for a few days, and if we have success (actually peeing on the toilet) then I will keep at it, otherwise I wait a while and try again. My older 2 caught on right away when they were 2 and 2 months, they were trained within a week, and a few weeks later they were dry at night too.
My third girl is a late bloomer, so she didn't actually manage to pee on the toilet untill like 6 weeks before her 3rd birthday, and not for lack of trying, she wanted to badly but just couldn't. But she was day time trained at 3. She is 5 now but still is rarely dry overnight. Pull ups are great for kids like her, she would hate to wear diapers, nor should you if you are 5 and want to be big so badly.
My 4th was over 2 and a half, and now at 3 she still wears diapers every night.

So every kid is different, I've never had a problem with them not wanting to be potty trained.
January 2nd, 2006, 04:59 PM
JuneBug2006's Avatar Forever missing Gracie
In some ways I do believe in the "they'll train when they're ready" but only to a point..

I do think there is some limitation there in which the child does get too old to be in diapers...... I think that children should definately be out of diapers/pull-ups by the age of 3....

I started potty training Alex at about 18 months but he was not full trained for about 8 months after that..........

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search