Two Year Olds Major Sleep Problems

Forum: Traditional Parenting

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Traditional Parenting LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 1st, 2006, 09:12 AM
MamaAshley's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Hey girls, I'm looking for advice. I've posted on other boards on JM but I thought i'd try here for advice also. My DD jsut turned two last month, and has never been a good sleeper, UNLESS she's in bed with DH and I, then she sleeps perfectly! She'll go down in her toddler bed, IF i'm in the room with her, but she won't stay asleep in her bed for more than a few hours. She made it one night till 5:30am and we were astonished! She'll go down aroundf 8:30 (if no nap, if nap during th day then she's up till almost 9:30-10!!!!!) She's usually up by midnight. Sometimes i'll get the energy and go into her room, and she'll go back to sleep if I jsut sit next to her bed, but if I dont' come to her she'll come to me. So basically every night she winds up in our bed. This has GOT to stop, I'm due in 3 months with baby #3 and the baby is going to be sleeping in our room, then later sharing a room with DD. I hate the idea of letting her cry it out, plus I don't even know how I would do that sicne she's in a toddler bed, I can't jsut shut the door and ignore her, she'd poudn the door and wake me one year old son up. I have tried the "silently bring ehr back to bed" method, and it works, but one night I wasn't home and BOOM, back to her old self again! Plus it never worked for the middle of the night, only at bedtime. So, I need advice, what woudl you guys do?????

Ashley, pre-RN student, birth doula and busy SAHM to Brianne 6, Colin 5, Kylie 4,
Bryson 2,and our lil man Noah Alexander turns one year on 7/5/10!

January 1st, 2006, 10:08 AM
wclark602002's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
with my son we ended up putting the toddler bed rite next to our bed,then after a few nites moved it to the foot of the bed,after a few nites next to the door,that had to stay about a month...lol..then we finally moved it outside the door and we went thru the whole house this way til it got back to his room,i know it sounds crazy but it was all that would work for us,it took some time but it was worth it,my daughter thank goodness loved her crib

Virtapay, alternative to paypal...its FREE!!!
http://www.virtapay.com/r/wclark602002
January 1st, 2006, 02:05 PM
I also wanted to add that when DD takes a nap, she is a bear to get to bed at night, she won't go down til arund 9:00 or later, but if she deosn't nap she's asleep by 8pm.....sometimes I don';t even make her nap b/c bedtime is soooo much easier....ugh, this is so confusing, how do I get her to sleep good? HELP ME!

Ashley, pre-RN student, birth doula and busy SAHM to Brianne 6, Colin 5, Kylie 4,

January 2nd, 2006, 06:54 AM
~Casey~'s Avatar GraceNorraJennaMomma
Send a message via MSN to ~Casey~
I'm no help, but I just wanted to say good luck! I'm a new first time mom, so I still have no idea what I'm doing! LOL! Let us know what ends up working for you.

January 2nd, 2006, 08:18 AM
Twinkle's Avatar Platinum Super Mommy
I don't have this problem but I've seen "supernanny" deal with it on TV... does that count??

I know what she suggests is the silently bring her back to her bed method. Everytime she gets up out of bed, just bring her back to bed and close the door behind you. I'm sure it will take a long time in the beginning, but if you are consistent about it, it should get easier.

Check out Justmommies Blogs!

Are you interested in hosting a chat? Or maybe setting up a chat time for your board? Send me a PM for openings and more information!!
January 2nd, 2006, 09:04 AM
Well, last night was just plain terrible. I did the silent back to bed, like Supernanny, and told Bri if she got out of bed I would put up a gate at her door. I showed her the gate. sure enough, she got right out of bed, so I told her she had one more chance, and of course that didn't work, so I put up the gate. Well, all he** broke lose! She screamed for over an our, I must have taken her back to bed more than fifty times I bet! She would not stay in her bed. fianlly, I was peeking from my bedroom and saw her falling asleep standing up at the gate, with her head laying on top of the gate! I was mortified, so I took her back to her bed again, and she screamed, so I gave in a little and just stood in her room, not looking at her, and by this time she was exhausted and she fell instantly. I know I kind of gave in, I was seriously ready to just call it completely off and tell my husband she's just going to sleep with us forever, it's too hard. But I tired hard, and she made progress I guess. I just have to keep it up I know, I just can't stand it sometimes. Between her screaming, she woke up her brother three times, plus my pregnancy hormones, I cried myself to sleep last night. Please let tonight be a little bit better!

January 2nd, 2006, 01:03 PM
Twinkle's Avatar Platinum Super Mommy
I hope it gets better!

Check out Justmommies Blogs!

Are you interested in hosting a chat? Or maybe setting up a chat time for your board? Send me a PM for openings and more information!!
January 2nd, 2006, 06:43 PM
anyone......advice? Thanks for the well-wishes!

January 5th, 2006, 04:42 PM
.Amanda.'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I'm no help at all since my son is only 5 months, but i wanted to bump this back up for you. Good luck! I hope you get some sleep soon!!

January 5th, 2006, 06:17 PM
Thanks! We're making progress, she's stay in her room without screaming, with the gate up, and falls asleep on the floor, which is fine for now. She won't sleep all night in her room, and we've been pretty laxed about it until now. I talked to my doctor today and she suggested letting her cry it out, giving only brief reassurancde every 1 minutes or so, and said it shouldn't take more than a few nights for her to catch on. It will suck, but my doctor was very strongly suggesting we do this BEFORE the baby is born, if we do it after she might resent the baby and think we're replacing her since the new baby will sleep in our room in her bassinet. So, tonight should be fun!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search