I let her CIO

Forum: Traditional Parenting

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Traditional Parenting LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 4th, 2006, 09:28 AM
~*Dina*~'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I let Hannah cry it out on Sat. It took about 10 minutes and it was EXCRUTIATING (sp?) it was soo hard to listen to her cry. But she finally fell asleep . I've been trying eve since and I just cant handle it. Neither can Dh. He has to literally leave the house (goes in the garage)
I dont want to rock her to sleep anymore, she's 6 months old and its time for her to go to sleep on her own.
Any suggestions on how to make this transistion easier on me ?? I dont remember it being so hard with my first 2 kids.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

January 4th, 2006, 09:49 AM
3Xblessed's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Dina ~ do you have anything for her in her crib to play with? Katelyn got the fisher price aquarium for x-mas and has since figured out how to turn it on....the last two mornings I've come in to her quietly watching it. She also falls asleep watching it.

My other suggestion (worked with the twins) is to have her spend "fun" time in her crib. With the twins this is were we did naked time - so that they associated the crib with fun not just sleep. CIO worked for me with the twins and katelyn (although "knock on wood" she hasn't been horrible) but I also had to leave the house....sit on the curb, shower - anything so that I couldn't hear them.

Words of encouragement.....the length of crying does get less, and they do get it!!
January 4th, 2006, 10:51 AM
MamaAshley's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Trust me, it does get better! Do it now, b/c my two year old never learned to fall asleep on her own and we're paying for it EVERY night now! I think you're doing great starting at this age, he earlier she can learn the better. My kids both used the Aquarium thing in their crib also and it was GREAT! They learned to pusht he big button to turn it on, now I hear it sometimes in the middle of the night if Colin wakes up he'll just turn it on and fall back asleep without crying. I would try some crib toys, and some daytime crib activities...good luck!

Ashley, pre-RN student, birth doula and busy SAHM to Brianne 6, Colin 5, Kylie 4,
Bryson 2,and our lil man Noah Alexander turns one year on 7/5/10!

January 4th, 2006, 10:57 AM
Platinum Supermommy
*hugs* It is sooo hard..something you can't even understand unless you have been through it. It worked well for us though and really was worth it. Here's the crappy part. We let Beth CIO when she was 6 months old and only had one really bad night. She's 11 months old now though and STILL screams when I put her in the crib...though she stops anywhere from 10 seconds to 5 minutes later. It's nuts though even if she is dog tired and glad to go to bed she'll still scream at least till I leave her room and shut the door. My mom thinks it is mean that we let her cry sometimes...but I know my kid and it is the only thing that works. If we try to rock her to sleep or even sleep with us she will stay up and play or fuss all night. She needs her own quiet area to get settledn down in.
January 4th, 2006, 03:42 PM
~Casey~'s Avatar GraceNorraJennaMomma
Send a message via MSN to ~Casey~
HUGS! I hope it gets easier. I think it just takes time to figure out what works well with your child. Everyday I'm learning something new about Grace.

January 5th, 2006, 01:23 PM
SavaAngel's Avatar Mama to AJ & Katie
Send a message via AIM to SavaAngel Send a message via Yahoo to SavaAngel
My SIL never rocked her kids to sleep unless they were sick! I don't know if I will go to that extreme, but she had the aquarium thing that hung on the side of the crib for Elsa (she will be 3 next week). Then when she got older (for a gift or something) she got one of those fish tank TV's and that would get turned on when Elsa went to bed (I think it was set on a timer)! It broke awhile back and now Elsa is in her big girl bed and she sleeps with a (soft) doll and a stuffed animal I think.

AJ (age 7) & Katie (age 2.5)
PM to see if I am available to make a siggy - decisions will be made on a case by case basis.

Katie's: BELLY PICS~ U/S PICS

January 5th, 2006, 01:43 PM
3Xblessed's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Seriously the fish tank thing is the best! My kids went from that to the tv thing to actually having a real fish tank and we use the tank light as a night light. Probably doesn't hurt mommy has a degree in marine biology though....maybe I'm biased
January 5th, 2006, 03:31 PM
.Amanda.'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
It's hard listening to your baby cry for that long, but it does get easier. My son is 5 months and now i can lay him down in his crib while he is drowsy and he will fuss for a minute or two but not cry. I had to literally watch the clock with him though because what felt like 10 minutes was really only one or two. What helped the most was doing a bedtime routine every night and giving him a pacifier. My son rubs his eyes when he's tired, so thats my cue to give him a bottle, then a bath, then pajamas, then a little mommy/baby quiet time, then bed. He still wakes up to eat 2 or 3 times a night but falls right back to sleep. Once we got bed time owrked out, we moved on to naps.

My DH has to go to the garage too when the baby cries for more than a minute, he just can't deal with it and gets annoyed.

I feel you!!!

January 6th, 2006, 11:33 AM
Thanks girls. I think I will def. try the Aquariam toy. She'd love that. You've all been soo helpful.

January 9th, 2006, 12:09 PM
Well I went out and bought the fisher price aquarium for her crib and she was scarred to death of it. She looked at thsi thing in FEAR....poor baby!! So needless to say I took it back. I"m going to try to find something else to put in her crib for her to play with.

Thanks for the suggestion though..

January 9th, 2006, 12:22 PM
~Casey~'s Avatar GraceNorraJennaMomma
Send a message via MSN to ~Casey~
Awww! Poor, Hannah! I hope you find something that works well for you all! Keep us updated.

January 9th, 2006, 01:32 PM
mudholemama
What I had to do with DS the first week (mind you this was only
a few months ago he was 9 months) was do the ferber method.

As days went on, the time got shorter and now he fusses for 5 seconds
and goes to sleep.

What I struggle with is getting him to sleep for naps.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search