need some advice

Forum: Traditional Parenting

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Traditional Parenting LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 5th, 2006, 08:43 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Beth has always been a good sleeper. Well..since about 4 months anyway. At that point we moved her to her crib in her own room and she started sleeping midnight-six am ever night. It gradually increased till she was going down around 7:30 and getting up between 6:30-7:30. She is 11 months old now and is all of a sudden having problems with her sleeping. And it is just not a good time! My dh is getting ready to leave for like 2 months (he's military - and going to a school a few states away) and we are expecting #2 so I need my sleep while I can get it. We did let her CIO when she was younger and it worked great - not so much anymore. She is EXTREMELY loud...it is impossible to do anything but listen to her cry - you can't sleep, read, or watch TV. Plus she doesn't give up - on nights where I've tried everything and just had it I have listened to her cry well over an hour - before I went in and got her, she never did go back to sleep. And then when I get her I can tell she is so tired and just crumbles in my arms - I don't know why she doesn't want to sleep. Thankfully my dh has been getting up with her the last two weeks while on leave so I don't have to get up a 4:30-5 in the morning. What he usually does is give her a bottle, and rock her, and talk to her, till she falls asleep in his arms and then he either holds her or sleeps beside her on the couch for another 2 hours. Needless to say - not a habit I really want her to get into. But it has been keeping me sane the last 2 weeks and I'm thankful for his help.

Her napping right now is usually a 1-2 hour morning nap (depending on weather she goes back to bed with ehr daddy) and somedays a 1 hour afternoon nap. Lately she has been trying to skip the afternoon nap but then she is burnt out and ready for bed at 5:30 - which means she'd get up even earlier. I don't think she is teething..can't feel any bumps anyway. And she has a diaper rash we're treating right now so I worry about leaving her too long..I'm always afraid that she's crying b/c it hurts her and in that case I DO want to go get her.

So what do you guys think? PLEASE someone tell me this is just a stage!! I absolutely can't keep getting up with her all night - and she can't sleep in my bed b/c she pulls my hair (all night ) and I'm getting too pregnant to hold her on my tummy/chest.
January 5th, 2006, 08:51 AM
~Casey~'s Avatar GraceNorraJennaMomma
Send a message via MSN to ~Casey~
I'm no help. I'm a new mommy that still doesn't know anything yet! LOL! I hope it gets better for all of you.

January 5th, 2006, 10:49 AM
Twinkle's Avatar Platinum Super Mommy
At around 11 months, my daughter started doing something similar. I think it had to do with her weaning herself down to one nap. At around this age, you could try to push that morning nap later and later so that she takes a nice early afternoon nap......... and that should help her not be so overtired at nighttime.

Good Luck!

Check out Justmommies Blogs!

Are you interested in hosting a chat? Or maybe setting up a chat time for your board? Send me a PM for openings and more information!!
January 5th, 2006, 01:31 PM
SavaAngel's Avatar Mama to AJ & Katie
Send a message via AIM to SavaAngel Send a message via Yahoo to SavaAngel
Have you told her you are having another baby? Could she be having issues with that and that she won't be your "baby" anymore? I have no children yet (due with # 1 in August), but I have a total of 14 nephews and 3 neices!

I agree with Twinkle about the naps! My SIL did that, she weaned Elsa from her morning nap and then she only napped for between a hour and 2 hours and then in bed between 7:30 and 8:30 (when her brothers go to bed too)

Good Luck!

AJ (age 7) & Katie (age 2.5)
PM to see if I am available to make a siggy - decisions will be made on a case by case basis.

Katie's: BELLY PICS~ U/S PICS

January 5th, 2006, 03:35 PM
.Amanda.'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
My son has issues with his sleeping when he's going through growth spurts and they usually last about a week, then he goes back to his usual routine. With him, a pacifier works wonders...Good luck, i hope you get some sleep soon!!

January 14th, 2006, 06:29 PM
Veteran
I was going to say it could be a growth spurt or teething. Also, if he has learned something new or reached a new milestone (walking, crawling, sitting up for longer periods, holding food, etc) then that can mess up a sleep schedule too. I bet it will pass soon.
January 15th, 2006, 07:09 AM
Colee's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to Colee
Emily was ALWAYS a great sleeper until she was around a year old...then she got up all the time,wouldnt go back to sleep without being rocked...etc. I hate to say it,but it was a good 8 monthes or so before she got back into the swing of things....We stopped rocking and forced her to go to sleep on her own...may sound harsh,but she had many CIO nights in her room/crib....I would go in and comfort her,but never take her out of her crib...once I got REAL serious about it,she caught the hang of it quick...but it was me that let her take advantage of me for so long....she had us wrapped around her pinky,and knew it! She is 4.5 now,and sleeps great!

</div>

</blockquote>

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search