Introduction

Forum: Traditional Parenting

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Traditional Parenting LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 9th, 2006, 03:33 PM
joyfulmommy's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
HI, I just discovered this board and am pretty sure I fit in here. I breastfed my dd exclusively, but other than that, I definatly don't fit in in the attachment parenting board. I have a 7 year old step dd, and a 2 year old dd (plus a suprise on the way).

I have a few questions that I don't know for sure that they fit here, but thought I'd get input from mothers who parent basically the same way as I do.

My dd is going to be 2 this month, and I have been introducing her to the potty for about 3 months now, but havent tried to potty train her until the last few weeks. I dont believe in pullups, so I started her in panties with the plastic liner. She will pull her own panties down to 'try" to go, but if she had an accident, she didnt really care or notice until I asked her. So I decided to try without the plastic cover. Her first "accident" and all the ones following, she would just flip out and start screaming "went peepee!!!." Now, I know shes not scared, because she actually welcomed the fresh panties I offered her after every accident. Should I keep going like this and hope it means she'll want to use the potty sooner since she doesnt like the feeling of being wet? Or should I find some new way to do this?

Another question I have is about my older dd. She has been lying a lot lately. It seems to me that we have tried everything to get her to understand that it is wrong to lie and why. Does anyone have any experience and/or suggestions on this issue?

My last question is about my 2yrold again. She has always been the most laid back baby ever. Lately though, she has been developing a fear of everything. Some examples are: one day she was standing on the sidewalk and a huge loud truck drove by and she went balistic, ever since, she is scared of ALL cars. Then, somebody gave us a changing table about a month ago. She had never used one but liked it a lot at first. Then one day, without incidence (no falling off scares or anything) she just started hating the table and wont even go near it. The last ex is her fear of dogs. We have 2 big dogs that she has loved from the time they came home, and they have never done anything to her that should make her scared. But all of a sudden she thinks they are going to bite her????? I dont know whether to embrace her fears and let her choose when to face them, or if I should coax her myself (like by changing her on the table, and taking her in the yard with the dogs etc...) I also dont know where this fear would come from. Could she be getting nightmares, and why would she have nightmares about things that have never happened??? Could this be because of the new baby coming soon, or does she even understand that? Help!

Sorry this is so long. I have posted this questions elsewhere and havent gotton too much of a response. If you made it all the way through the post, ANY help at all would be appreciated. Look forward to chatting with you all more too.

Brooke
mom to...
Mariah
Savannah
JJ
Allison
January 9th, 2006, 07:36 PM
~Casey~'s Avatar GraceNorraJennaMomma
Send a message via MSN to ~Casey~
Welcome! If you feel comfortable here then you fit! I am a first time mommy with a 3 1/3 month old so I am not the one to be doling out the advise, but I just wanted to say hi and congrats on your new baby on the way. I will be interested to hear what others have to say about this stuff too. I don't believe in pull-ups either, however I haven't tried to potty train yet either, so ya never know with me. I remember when I was a child all of a sudden I was terrified of our house catching fire. It had never happened before and it came out of nowhere. It was a very real and terrifying thought. I had it almost every single night for months. I would cry myself to sleep because I was just terrified. My mom bought me a ladder for underneath my bed so if there was a fire I could get out and that did the trick. I guess because she didn't tell me that it wouldn't happen, but gave me a tool to protect myself I felt better. I was also older than two, sooo.... Did she happen to catch something on tv about any of that stuff? Sorry I'm not more help. But welcome and I hope to see you around here alot!

January 10th, 2006, 09:43 AM
3Xblessed's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Hey....

The fear thing I would think is a phase. My ds is went through this phase also where almost anything would scare him and he had narley nightmares. He has since grown out of this and is becoming more confident with no help from me.

As far as the potty training goes we were always told that they would potty train when they were ready. But we tried at 2yrs old, 2 1/2 and right before they turned 3. Each attempt ended in tears all around. Then right after they turned 3 my dd told me she had to go potty (of course we were driving through compton at the time and there was no way I was going to stop) and now (about a month later) we are pee pee trained and working hard on the poops. So maybe wait and try agian later (JMO).
January 10th, 2006, 10:55 AM
.Amanda.'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Welcome and congratulations on your pregnancy! I too and a first time mommy to a 5 month old, so i'm not going to be very helpful with your questions but good luck!

January 10th, 2006, 06:47 PM
joyfulmommy's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Thanks for the replies! I appreciate your opinions and will welcome any more that can make it through my really long post LOL.

Brooke
mom to...
Mariah
Savannah
JJ
Allison

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search