Pediatrician?

Forum: Traditional Parenting

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Traditional Parenting LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 10th, 2006, 01:45 PM
~Casey~'s Avatar GraceNorraJennaMomma
Send a message via MSN to ~Casey~
Do you always follow exactly what your pediatrician says? I find myself feeling like I'm really braking the rules if I make a decision without his approval. Sometimes I have to remind myself that I'm her mother and I'm the one that is with her 24/7. What do you do?

January 10th, 2006, 02:07 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I don't do everything they recommend and sometimes I wish i did. LOL Brandon's dr told us we should try not to leave the house with him until he was like 2 months old (yeah, right). When he was probably about 5 or 6 wks old it was so beautiful out and the three of us went to Old Navy and who do we see there? The pediatrician. I avoided her at all costs but she saw me and came up to me and said "Well, I see you decided to get out of the house". I felt soooo guilty for a week afterwards but got over it eventually. I'm really curious to hear her take on getting him on cereal though...I may or may not go by what she says.
January 10th, 2006, 02:09 PM
~Casey~'s Avatar GraceNorraJennaMomma
Send a message via MSN to ~Casey~
I know what you mean about the cerael thing. I an anxious to start cereal, but will probably wait if the doc says so.

January 10th, 2006, 09:04 PM
JuneBug2006's Avatar Forever missing Gracie
I take their advice but try to use it in how I see fit..
January 12th, 2006, 09:25 AM
Bratlyn98's Avatar Veteran
Send a message via MSN to Bratlyn98 Send a message via Yahoo to Bratlyn98
I don't always take the advice of the pediatrician. Although I do think they know what's best for our child, but don't always know what works for us. I think they may be more generalized toward the age, but not necessarily what's right for you at that time.

For example...our last check up at 6 months doc said i should be able to introduce to him stage 2 foods. We were on stage 2 foods for quite some time before suggesting that. Now she'll probably say we need to go up to stage 3 foods. Haha already done that too!

one thing i've learned in my almost 9 months of mommyhood is that you're around the child 24/7 and you know your child best. What the doctor says is just guidelines. What works for one mom might not work for the others. You find what works for you and stick with it. Yes, by all means give the doctor's way a shot if you want to. Never hurts as the doctors deal with many parents all the time and see what works for the majority. But you never know, your child could be the minority I know mine is!

January 12th, 2006, 10:09 AM
amyla
They really say you shouldn't go out for two months???? Heck, I am due June 2nd and I really want to do our annual 4th of July weekend beach trip, which involves a 6hr ride to our apt. in NYC, then we wake up in the morning drive an hour and take a ferry to the beach.

Maybe I should rethink??? I am SO bummed!
January 12th, 2006, 10:28 AM
i just think some docs are over precautious, we did not stay in for 2 months

January 12th, 2006, 12:29 PM
Barbara's Avatar Veteran
I listen to the doctors but don't always follow their advise. We go to a big pediatric office and I've seen just about all of them. I don't care for a few of them and usually try to see the ones I like. I've noticed the older ones don't get too excited about sickness. My DS was running a fever over 104 and cried all night. This old doc told me that he's got a virus and sent me home. He didn't do any tests (nasal swab or throat swab). I ended up taking him back two days later with the same fever and now a rash. I demanded to see a different doctor. This time the doctor took a throat swab and listened to his chest really carefully and decided to send DS for an xray. He had pneumonia and was almost hospitalized.

I just look at it this way. They might be doctors but they're also human and make mistakes. If you have a bad feeling or are unsure about their advise do what I do. Ask other parents and look up info on the internet.
January 12th, 2006, 12:47 PM
Quote:
Ask other parents and look up info on the internet.[/b]

AMEN! LOL I think all of us do that anyway

January 12th, 2006, 04:19 PM
~*Dina*~'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
My Dr is pretty cool about stuff. He never says Dont do this or dont do that. He pretty much lets me raise my kids. He never told me when to put Hannah on cereal I just did it at the age my other 2 were and it was great, the same for baby food. I started her at 4 months and when we went in for her 4 month check up he was totally cool with it. At her 6 month check up, he told me I could grind up table food and give it to her if I wanted to and I could start her on stage 2 meats and mixed varieties. I havent yet though.
And he's good looking to boot!! lol

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

January 14th, 2006, 07:27 PM
Veteran
I've been a mom for 10 years and I definitely do what feels right for me and works best for my family as a whole. In the beginning with the first baby I was nervous and tended to lean towards what the pediatrician said but even back then I co-slept against his advice. As a mom you just do what feels best I think.
January 15th, 2006, 11:27 AM
MinnesotaMommy
Not everything, but most everything.
January 15th, 2006, 09:21 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Yeah, she suggested two months we shouldn't go out and I looked at her like she was crazy so I don't think she was too surprised to see me out and about. I live in south Texas so it's been warm since the day he was born...I don't know what the big issue is about that. I did wait about two weeks before we took him out with us to dinner etc.

The more I think about the cereal thing the more I think I'm gonna start him on it soon no matter what is recommended. I feel like I'm feeding him ALL the time...he can't get full.

I agree...I use the dr as a guideline but I'll use my judgement for the final say.
January 15th, 2006, 10:00 PM
megan
i mainly go by what feels right. I listen to the doctors but like said before most of what they suggest may be whats good for the majority but not all. My son was on cereal by 2 months, he just couldn't get full. A lady i worked with before i had my son said she was feeding her children ground up table foods by two months ,to me seemed that seemed a little much, but it worked for her.
but just last month when i had my daughter i had doc.s and nurses contridicting each other, one would say i wasn't feeding my daughter enough and told me to feed her more, then another would say i was feeding her too much, while another would say just feed on demand , and so on. So I kind of just do what feels right, or else i'd probably go crazy. LOL

I had a very bad experiance with one of my son's past pediatricians. I took him in when he was about 10 months old and he had a very bad cough and high fever and just over all was not doing too well. The doc. told me it was JUST acute bronchitis and told me to just give him over the counter cold med.s. I did so for a week and brought him back because he was even worse. and she told me the same thing again. I ended up taking him the the ER and we came home with accute meningitis, accute tonsillitis , and a sever middle ear infection (i believe those were the three things it was) any how we ended up with a bag of meds and a nebulizer.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search