co sleeping

Forum: Traditional Parenting

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Traditional Parenting LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 10th, 2006, 05:22 PM
Veteran
My 7 week old son will not sleep in his crib. I do breastfeed so it is conveinient to have him there but
how hard will it be to wean him into his crib? Anyone been there done that? How did you wean specifically?
January 10th, 2006, 07:27 PM
Veteran
Quote:
oohhh girl... please read carefully....

DO NOT CO-SLEEP UNLESS YOU SEE NO OTHER WAY OF SLEEPING....

i am still fighting my 13 month old (yes, 1 month older than a year) to get him into his crib all night... its a bad habit to start unless thats the way you want to have things...

i would try a bassinett if i was you... that way hen is right there but not in your bed..have you tried swaddling?

how i had it explained to me about babies having trouble sleeping in the crib was like this

" newborns can sometimes have a hard time with the crib because of all the open space in there"

but, we are still struggling...[/b]
13 months! That is what is scaring me. No there is no other way he will sleep right now. I guess it will be hard now or hard later and I am too tired to battle right now.
January 10th, 2006, 11:00 PM
Veteran
Hi,
Every baby is different. My girlfriend has been cosleeping w/her dd for 7 months and now that she's starting the transition to crib, her dd is taking it pretty well. Try getting different perspectives. The AP Board promotes co-sleeping; they might have some info to share with you there as well!
Lucy

San Diego Parenting Resources
January 11th, 2006, 08:53 AM
kellybee's Avatar Veteran
Send a message via AIM to kellybee
We never co-slept, but dd was a bit picky about not wanting to sleep in her crib at first. She did, however, love to sleep in her baby seat. So alot of times we would let her fall asleep in there and then put the baby seat in the crib to kind of get her used to the atmosphere. Seemed to work pretty well. Another thing was that once she was sleeping in her crib, she had to be completely, totally "out cold" to be able to put her down. We used the "arm test". If she was sleeping (on your lap, in her seat, wherever) and you could pick up her arm and drop it and she didn't move, you could put her in her crib. If she so much as flinched or moved at all, you had to wait like another 10 minutes and try again. It seemed like it was the moving her into the crib that woke her up more than anything else.

This was all when she was really little, of course. Eventually, when she was a bit older, we would start putting her down awake with a pacifier and she'd ususally zonk right out. But I think it helped that she was used to sleeping in the crib rather than trying to transition her into one. Good luck with your little one!

January 11th, 2006, 09:49 AM
~*Dina*~'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I'm having the same problem. In november Hannah got sick and I let her sleep with me. Here it is January and I CANT get her to sleep in her bed for nothing. I dont know what to do. So I would say DONT let him sleep with you. Get him used to his crib. You'll be much happier. Trust me!!

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

January 11th, 2006, 08:10 PM
Platinum Supermommy
My 4th girl co-slept untill she was about 4 months old, and I can't really remember having trouble getting her into her crib. I started by putting her in there during the day.
My new baby has maybe spent 2 hours in her bassinet (that's being generous), but she is colicky, so it's a choice between co-sleeping or no-sleeping. I am a little concerned about still having her in my bed, because I think 2 months is a perfect age to move out of my bed, but we'll see.
I think you have to be prepared to let your child cry it out eventually.
January 12th, 2006, 12:38 PM
Guest_Heidis_*
Quote:
My 4th girl co-slept untill she was about 4 months old, and I can't really remember having trouble getting her into her crib. I started by putting her in there during the day.
My new baby has maybe spent 2 hours in her bassinet (that's being generous), but she is colicky, so it's a choice between co-sleeping or no-sleeping. I am a little concerned about still having her in my bed, because I think 2 months is a perfect age to move out of my bed, but we'll see.
I think you have to be prepared to let your child cry it out eventually.[/b]
My little guy is definately collicky. I tried to put him in his car seat on top of the dryer while I folded clothes
yesterday. He cried through that! I have a swing that is big for him that I can prop hime with wedges and
blankets but that may not work for more than ten minutes. I am on my own with this guy without a car
or support nearby. It just gets so frustrating because I know he needs to sleep, but won't alone.
January 12th, 2006, 03:36 PM
Colee's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to Colee
Ryan was colicky. The ONLY way I could get him to sleep was on his tummy. I know that is a HUGE NO NO.....but as a mother of a coliky baby you know what I mean when I say anything that calms your baby and gets him to sleep is wonderful! I told his dr I was tummy sleeping him,and he said he did with both his girls....I have a friend that co slept and her son was almost four before they finally stopped the fight and got him to sleep in his own bed.

</div>

</blockquote>
January 12th, 2006, 04:06 PM
~Casey~'s Avatar GraceNorraJennaMomma
Send a message via MSN to ~Casey~
Well I haven't btdt, but I had a rough time with Grace at the beginning too sleeping in her crib. I couldn't keep her swaddled because the receiving blankets tht I had were too small by seven weeks. My aunt had made me some recieveing blankets that were 1 1/4 yds square. I could really swaddle her up tight and it made a HUGE and I do mean HUGE difference. I also waited about 30 minutes to lay her dawn after a feeding because I think she may have had some reflux and the time in between really helped. HTH. Good luck making a decision, and I think the AP board might have some suggestions if you are really enjoying it and just want some advice on a later transition. They also can tell you about how to do it safely.

January 12th, 2006, 08:25 PM
tevinsangel
In the beginning I was a huge NO Co Sleeping person, that's until I had a very colicky little boy and averaged 2 hours of sleep a night. The only thing that got me through was co-sleeping for awhile. I was also nervous about him wanting to stay there forever, so at 2 1/2 months, I started transitioning him to his crib. We just worked little by little at it and now he sleeps in there all night (he's 3 1/2 mos now). One thing that probably made it easier for him is he sleeps on his tummy. He can hold his head up very well and raise his chest off the ground and I make sure nothing soft is under him. I still get up and check him like a hawk but he does very well (plus my doc said he should be ok if he can hold his head up on his own). Hope you figure out a solution.
January 12th, 2006, 08:27 PM
.Amanda.'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I co-slept with my DS for the first 3 months and we had no problems switching to a crib at that time. It was a lot easier having right next to me for feedings and he seemed to sleep better. He's 5 months now and i bring him to our bed in the early morning so he'll sleep a little longer. I'm able to put him in his crib when he's drowsy and he'll either fall right asleep or take a few minutes to settle but he definitely prefers his crib.

I say do what feels comfortable for you. If it makes you fell more secure sleeping next to your newborn then keep doing it.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search