Do you allow your children to watch Television?

Forum: Traditional Parenting

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Traditional Parenting LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 11th, 2006, 11:56 AM
jodi16ss's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I know this is always a big debate. I am not wanting a debate - just a thread!

I let Jackson watch TV. He probably watches too much tv, matter of a fact. The TV is always on at our house - even if we aren't watching it!

Proud Mommy to Jackson (5/1/03) & Isabella (6/16/06)
January 11th, 2006, 12:33 PM
joyfulmommy's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
The only tv my girls watch are movies or tv when we're visiting others houses. I dont even turn my tv on until after the girls go to bed. This isnt really because I dont want them to watch, we just fill our time with other things and they dont really ask to watch.

Brooke
mom to...
Mariah
Savannah
JJ
Allison
January 11th, 2006, 01:31 PM
Ashes78
My kids watch tv. I don't really have to worry about limiting them though because they also like to play outside, jump on the trampoline, skateboard, etc. (Well, the older ones..hehe) Xan is usually in his walked watching me clean, etc. if I am not playing with him.
January 11th, 2006, 07:56 PM
Platinum Supermommy
My kids watch tv, I limit the amount. My third girl could sit in front of the tv all day, so I have to shut it off for her, the others watch and then find something else to do on their own.
January 12th, 2006, 05:01 AM
jodi16ss's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Also wanted to add: Jackson very rarely ever sits down and watches something. He is always playing and will take a moment here and there to see what is going on with it!

Proud Mommy to Jackson (5/1/03) & Isabella (6/16/06)
January 12th, 2006, 06:11 AM
Twinkle's Avatar Platinum Super Mommy
Quote:
Also wanted to add: Jackson very rarely ever sits down and watches something. He is always playing and will take a moment here and there to see what is going on with it![/b]

That pretty much explains my dd. We usually have Noggin on at our house (I like it because there aren't any commercials). It is probably on too much at our house, but its not like my daughter ever sits down and watches it.

Check out Justmommies Blogs!

Are you interested in hosting a chat? Or maybe setting up a chat time for your board? Send me a PM for openings and more information!!
January 12th, 2006, 03:21 PM
~*Dina*~'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Yup I do. I let my kids watch TV and I let them play video games too. But my kids get bored with those things, then they will go off and find a book to read or go out back and play. So I'm not worried about too much TV.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

January 12th, 2006, 03:31 PM
Colee's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to Colee
Yes I do allow my kids to watch tv....I dont think it's a big deal. Emily is thriving in school,her imagination.....I'm not worried

</div>

</blockquote>
January 12th, 2006, 08:29 PM
.Amanda.'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
My son is only 5 months but loves to watch cartoons in the morning when he first wakes up. He'll sit in his little chair with a toy in each hand just mesmerized by the cartoons!

January 14th, 2006, 09:56 AM
maximabella's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to maximabella Send a message via MSN to maximabella Send a message via Yahoo to maximabella
I have a step child that is TV obsessed, and it really bothers me, and makes me see what I DONT want to do to my kid.
We dont even have cable, and she will watch the news & informercials of all things! She would rather watch the news than play outside, and we live on alotta property!

I think things like sesame street, and young, fun ,educational things are great-in moderation..I hope I have the willpower to limit my future daughters tv time.
January 14th, 2006, 06:25 PM
Veteran
Yes I do. But I work in the home and at times it's great that she has the t.v. to keep her occupied if I'm on the phone or something.
January 14th, 2006, 06:29 PM
HotMama84's Avatar Veteran
Send a message via MSN to HotMama84 Send a message via Yahoo to HotMama84
Yes I let them, but neither of them are too interested in it.
January 15th, 2006, 10:29 AM
MinnesotaMommy
My dd does not sit long enough to watch.
Now my boys love to watch movies!!!
January 15th, 2006, 03:53 PM
dkmommy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
i absolutely do.
when damen was 2 he could count to 20 in english and 10 in spanish (thanks Dora the Explorer - LOL)
but we don't use it as a babysitter. he is very active and loves playing outside and painting/coloring - all that. so it is not an overly excessive amount, but i don't have a problem with it at all.
January 15th, 2006, 04:38 PM
wind_ryder's Avatar Super Mommy
Send a message via MSN to wind_ryder
I don't have a baby yet but we don't have cable. We own lots of movies and are starting a collection of kids movies.

When I was a kid I watched far too much tv. My paretsn tried to limit how much I watched and made sure that I didn't watch stupid shows like Full House or Family matters. I was also not allowed to watch R rated movies until I was in my late teens. I don't think I'll be as strict with the movie rating but I'm going to try to make sure my kids are more active. My husband and I really don't watch any tv (we do get a couple of channels but only watch Maury in the morning).
January 15th, 2006, 05:06 PM
~Casey~'s Avatar GraceNorraJennaMomma
Send a message via MSN to ~Casey~
We seem to always kind of just have the tv on. Grace is only four months old, and seems to have an obsession with it, has since the day we got home from the hospital. I guess she likes the colors and movement. I suppose we'll limit her tv watching, but I'll cross that bridge when I get there.

January 20th, 2006, 07:04 PM
kjomomma's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to kjomomma
our tv is always on whether anyone is watching it or not. we don't have cable at the moment but we watch alot of movies. since it has been cold we have been watching more tv than usual but my kids get bored with the tv and go find something else to do after a while. we're not too strict about tv time around here should be but we're not
Bryce(8)
Kyndal (6)
Alayna(3)
And Rayanna (2)
January 21st, 2006, 02:32 PM
Veteran
I've never tried to limit the amount of time that my kids watch TV and it's never been a problem. All my kids have TV's in their bedrooms but would rather play outside. I've noticed that many of their friends whose parents limit their TV time want to watch it more than my kids when they come over.
Madeline 9/25/96
Kyle 10/19/04
January 24th, 2006, 07:58 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Brandon is only 4 months too and loves to watch what is on tv. I'm not sure how we will handle it when he's older but it's fine for now.

PS maximabella we got married 6/19/04 too!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search