Pacifiers

Forum: Traditional Parenting

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Traditional Parenting LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 12th, 2006, 04:40 PM
~Casey~'s Avatar GraceNorraJennaMomma
Send a message via MSN to ~Casey~
Do or did your child(ren) take a paci?

Grace takes one, but not very often. If I ever offer it to her while she's happy, she spits it out and acts like I'm gagging her. LOL!

January 12th, 2006, 08:22 PM
.Amanda.'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Oh that's too funny! My ds uses one a lot! He pretty much needs it to fall asleep and it settles him when he's fussy. The funny thing is that i was one of those mommys who said they'd never let their child use a paci, but he seems to really need it.

January 13th, 2006, 06:56 AM
jodi16ss's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Yes, Jackson had one. He *LOVED* it. I took it away from him cold turkey when he was 9 months old. It took about a week to break him of it!

Proud Mommy to Jackson (5/1/03) & Isabella (6/16/06)
January 13th, 2006, 06:35 PM
joyfulmommy's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
My dd had one too, and I too was a mom who said i would NEVER use one! She took it from about 2-6months, at which point I put it up in the highest darkest corner of a closet and we never looked at it again. She got over it and forgot pretty quickly, I'd say a couple days. She only used it at first because she wanted to nurse every 10 minutes for the sucking aspect, then later it became a sleep aid. Thats why took it away so early, because I didnt want her to depend on it to fall asleep.

Brooke
mom to...
Mariah
Savannah
JJ
Allison
January 14th, 2006, 10:29 AM
Ashes78
Xan used to take a paci. When he was 2 months old we ended up in the ER because of his 2 month shots and he hasn't taken one since that night for some reason.
January 15th, 2006, 04:41 PM
wind_ryder's Avatar Super Mommy
Send a message via MSN to wind_ryder
I will not have a pacifier for my child. My husband doens't agree with me and is trying to convince me in the other direction. I think if children need to have something to feel soothed they can use something natural (ie their thumb). That's what I did as a kid. I think I turned out good But I don't judge people who use them.
January 15th, 2006, 09:17 PM
megan
i was also one that said i wasn't going to use them, but with my son the third night at the hospital before coming home we realized we were going to need it. But He only used it for maybe a month or two.
With my daughter we also started right out of the hospital, but its because for some reason when we put her in the car seat she got really fussy and when we took her out she was fine. So in order to leave with out a fussy baby we gave one to her. She is using them pretty regularly but when she is happy or content she doesn't need it, only when she is sleepy, fussy, or gassy. But i don't think she will end up using it for too long.
One of hubby's brothers is about 5 now and is just now getting rid of his 'bee-bee' , I'm not sure why the've let him carry on this long with it.
But i also have a friend that when she is nervous, bored or really into a TV show or something like that, you can catch her with her thumb in her mouth. In turn she has teeth problems because of thumb sucking. But now days i think its just a comfort thing that she never grew out of it. Often times she doesn't realize she is doing it.
January 16th, 2006, 11:32 AM
jodi16ss's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I had done a great deal of research on them before I had my son and ready consistently that babies *need* to suck on something.

wind_ryder - Just my opinion - if you do go down the thumb sucking route - just know that "taking a thumb away" can be *much* more difficult than taking a paci away. My mom let my brother suck his thumb and he wouldn't give it up - even at 3 and 4 years old (she tried everything). Children sucking on pacis, thumbs, etc., past a year can have serious dental problems. Just FYI! Then again, a child used to a paci can end up sucking his/her thumb when the paci is taken away.

Proud Mommy to Jackson (5/1/03) & Isabella (6/16/06)
January 16th, 2006, 07:59 PM
~Casey~'s Avatar GraceNorraJennaMomma
Send a message via MSN to ~Casey~
Quote:
I will not have a pacifier for my child. My husband doens't agree with me and is trying to convince me in the other direction. I think if children need to have something to feel soothed they can use something natural (ie their thumb). That's what I did as a kid. I think I turned out good But I don't judge people who use them.[/b]
I also felt exactly like you. Not because I don't like pacis, but I wanted to establish nursing first. Nursing didn't work and I realized very quickly that sometimes a paci isn't really an option. Since babies have an instinctual need to suck, some more than others, and they can't be sucking on a bottle all of the time, that's when pacis come in handy. My daughter will be four months on Saturday, and is just now learning how to suck her thumb. She still doesn't really have the hang of it. I wholeheartedly believed that I would NOT give Grace a paci, but one thing parenthood has taught me is, never say never.

January 17th, 2006, 03:48 PM
wind_ryder's Avatar Super Mommy
Send a message via MSN to wind_ryder
I sucked my thumb and turned out fine. My sister never used pacifiers with her kids and they never even became thumb suckers. I'm going to try without one for as long as I can. I'd rather they didn't get in the habit of sucking anything but my nipple but we'll see what happenes.
January 19th, 2006, 10:50 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I never mind my kids having a pacifier, the only thing I can't stand is a paci on a 3 year old walking in the mall with a pacifier on the string clipped to their shirt.
My first and fourth both had them, when they got older it was for bed only, and we got rid of them at 2 and a half. (we traded our last one for a princess backpack at a store, that way when she asked for it we said the lady had it and the store was closed).
Julia was a paci baby right from the very start, I usually like to wait for a bit to get them nursing good, but she wanted to suck all the time, she is colicky also, so I am really really happy she takes one.
My second girl took one but was content without one, so now at 6 years old she still sucks her thumb, and my third would not take one, so she sucked her 2 fingers, and this summer she suddenly quit for no reason. (she was 4).
January 19th, 2006, 03:23 PM
Veteran
Send a message via Yahoo to maryf
Nope. When both boys were born, the nurses gave them to them w/o asking Grrrrr LOL but both didnt take to them. They just sucked on them for a minuete and then spit it out.
January 19th, 2006, 09:40 PM
mudholemama
PACI....

We try to use it only at nap/bed time and when he's sleepy....
January 19th, 2006, 10:00 PM
HotMama84's Avatar Veteran
Send a message via MSN to HotMama84 Send a message via Yahoo to HotMama84
My daughter hated them and my son took one until he was 2 months old. Neither of them suck their thumbs either.
January 20th, 2006, 08:35 AM
~*Dina*~'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
All 3 of mine LOVED/S the pacifier. You know how some mom's have a hard time getting babies off the bottle or boob?? Well I had a hard time getting my older babies off the paci. Caitlyn was 15 months when I took it away, she cried at night for about 1 week and was fine.
Matthew was almost 2 years old, I took him to the dentist and he told me to take it away, so we did. He had a VERY hard time with it.
Hannah doesnt *need* it as much as my other 2 did. In fact I pretty much forced her to take one at birth. She only uses it when she's tired. Otherwishe she plays with it. I dont think it will be a hard thing to take away from her.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

January 21st, 2006, 02:49 PM
Veteran
My first 2 were addicted to their binkies. When they got a little older they could only have them for nap and bedtime. They were close to 3 by the time we got rid of the binkey altogether. They never caused a problem with BF and they were given the pacifiers before I started nursing (all were scheduled c-sections). My youngest would only use the Soothie brand and that only lasted about 10 weeks, after that he'd just spit it out.
Madeline 9/25/96
Kyle 10/19/04
January 23rd, 2006, 05:33 PM
Heather1628's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Heather1628 Send a message via Yahoo to Heather1628
My daughter liked them at bedtime/naptime, that was about it and then about when she was 5-6months she weaned herself from it and she wont take it even if i try. LOL....I hate to see a 2-3 yr old sucking on it, I just think that is way to old. JMO
January 25th, 2006, 12:27 PM
Super Mommy
Quote:
I will not have a pacifier for my child. My husband doens't agree with me and is trying to convince me in the other direction. I think if children need to have something to feel soothed they can use something natural (ie their thumb). That's what I did as a kid. I think I turned out good But I don't judge people who use them.[/b]
Uh huh.... I said the SAME thing. Hannah was already attached to one when we took custody of her. She didn't really want it except at bed time or nap time. She was not on any kind of a schedule, so worrying about the pacifier was not a priority. She gave it up on her own... at around 4 mo. old.

Then with Emily, I said that I didn't want her to have one... or a bottle for that matter. Well, she was in the NICU for 2 days... I couldn't nurse her. Then... Post partum was setting in REALLY....REALLY BAD.

At, home she was not resting well at night and the only way I could get her to sleep.... was with a pacifier. I ended up with other complications and didn't nurse and I used a pacifier.

My point is... Never say Never! Because your baby may need that extra soothing. Not to mention... new studies have said that using a pacifier the first year, reduces the risk of SIDS.

But, what ever you decide, good luck!!!

Julie

One of my babies I carried in my heart and one I carried under my heart...

Remember... behind every successful mother.. there is a basket of dirty laundry!!!</div>

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search