bottles?

Forum: Traditional Parenting

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Traditional Parenting LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 19th, 2006, 10:55 AM
Platinum Supermommy
The pacifier post made me think of this. If your child is not breastfed, then how long untill you get rid of the bottle.

At about a year my kids get their juice in a sippy, and their milk in a bottle, and then I just drop the milk bottle in the morning first and then get rid of the night one. I started my oldest on a sippy cup at like 9 months (because my 1 year old was not going to have a bottle), but she just did not figure it out, not was she interested and she didn't drink from cups till she was well over a year old, and then refused to drink her milk out of a cup. Since I had trouble with her eating to begin with I let her have a bottle. She's 8 now, and eating is still a battle.

I willl NEVER forget the mother in a restaurant pouring a coke into her 3 year olds bottle, that's insane.
January 19th, 2006, 11:01 AM
jodi16ss's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Yikes?! A three year old with a bottle?!? WOW. I took my son's bottle away at 11 months. Everything I have read or heard states no bottle or pacifier past a year old. It can cause dental and other problems/issues. My son had no problems leaving the bottle behind. We just did it cold turkey. After that, he was fine! I introducted a sippy cup at 6 months. It made a really easy transition.

I have an aunt who's three year old still uses a pacifier. Talk about insane.

Proud Mommy to Jackson (5/1/03) & Isabella (6/16/06)
January 19th, 2006, 03:14 PM
Veteran
Send a message via Yahoo to maryf
^^

Thats esactly what we did for Lil Pat and what we will do for Peyton. It was very easy for us to get rid of the bottle for Ptrick, and I hope and pray it will be easy for Peyton. I have already intoduced the sippy cup to Peyton, he just gets it when he eats solids.
January 20th, 2006, 03:18 PM
mudholemama
He's drinks juice and water from a sippy...
And I plan on mixing formula and whole milk when he's
1 yrs. old in a sippy. But I'll still use formula in a bottle
at night until he can sleep all the way through.

It's my plan...but we'll see!!
January 21st, 2006, 08:30 AM
tevinsangel
My DD was extremely hard to break from the bottle, she was on it until about a 1 1/2 years old. My DS is almost 4 months old and I hope he will be easier to deal with on this. Speaking of soda in a bottle...one, I think it's awful when I see babies drinking soda out of a bottle. My MIL works in a law office and the receptionist has a 7 month old who only weighs 13 pounds. The poor little girl has acid reflux and the mother said that she just can't be bothered to feed her every two hours...isn't that awful!!! And they put soda in her bottle...makes me want to call DCS. Anyway..enough of my rant...
January 21st, 2006, 08:40 AM
MamaAshley's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Well, DD stopped using a bottle at around 12 months, and DS is now 13 months and still using a bottle. I'm not big into putting a time limit on kids, like everyone says at 12 months EVERY baby needs to be off the pacifier and bottle, and I know that every child is different, so I don't push I just lead my kids with what I want them to do and let them get used to it on their time. With my DD she got off the bottle real quick, she loved her sippy cup. With DS he LOVES his bottle of milk, so I let him have it but also offer it in a cup too. With DD she still has a pacifier she loves, and DS was off the paci by 5 months, so every child is different and I just play it by ear with each kid when I think they're ready to give it up. With DS I will keep offering him milk in his cup, but I won't force him to have it.

Ashley, pre-RN student, birth doula and busy SAHM to Brianne 6, Colin 5, Kylie 4,
Bryson 2,and our lil man Noah Alexander turns one year on 7/5/10!

January 21st, 2006, 02:10 PM
Veteran
I don't remember what we did with the older 2 kids, it's been so long but Kyle started using a cup at around 8 months. He'll only use a cup and straw and absolutely refuses to drink from a sippy cup. He still gets 1 bottle a day at naptime. He's 15 months old.
Madeline 9/25/96
Kyle 10/19/04

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search