18 months and a new born

Forum: Traditional Parenting

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Traditional Parenting LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 4th, 2009, 12:05 PM
MrsSarah1's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
In October, #2 is due to arrive. We currently only have one bedroom for our girls so they will have to share at some point.

The first 10-12 weeks, #2 will be in a cradle right next to our bed (I will be having a c-section and breastfeeding the first 8 weeks, so mostly it's convenience for me and piece of mind). After that however, my goal is to get DD into a toddler bed, and #2 into the crib.

When #2 is born, DD will be exactly 18 months. When they both are in the bedroom, DD will be 21 months. How do you suggest that we transition her?

Also, at what age would a booster seat be suitable for her instead of a high chair? At about this same time (21 months) I want to have her in a booster seat instead of a high chair so #2 can use the high chair when she gets ready for solid foods.

Any other tips?
June 4th, 2009, 01:10 PM
*1Boy1Girl*
Congrats on having #2. That's great news.

Personally, for me, 18 months is pretty young still to be put into a toddler bed, but with your circumstances, I don't think you have much of a choice. I would start transitioning your daughter about a month or two prior to you giving birth. Make it a big deal that she's going to be in a big girl bed. I would totally remove the crib from her room so that she gets used to sleeping in her toddler bed. I would not recommend you do this after you give birth because it's going to be a very tiring time for you. I'd make it easy for yourself and do it before.

It's going to be real trying for you because she's not going to like it (Caleb was just over two and he had a hard time initially). It will take a good week or two for her to get really used to it.

Once she gets used to the bed, then you should be ok for a few months until you put your second daughter in the room. Once she realizes that she's a big girl, then you can move the crib back into the room.

As for the booster seat, I moved Caleb into one at around the 15-18 month mark, but that's because he just looked too big for the high chair. And he transitioned very quickly. In fact, he liked it alot. You might be able to start here in a couple of months and see how she does. You might be able to start that sooner than later if she does well.
June 4th, 2009, 10:16 PM
MrsSarah1's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Thanks so much! I don't want to push her into a toddler bed if she isn't ready. I want to try it though. Worst case scenario, she's not ready and we just buy another crib and pack the toddler bed away until she's ready.

I think I'm going to really focus on her being a "big girl", and not push anything too hard. Hopefully she is in a toddler bed and in a booster seat by the time the baby is 3 months old... but we don't live in an ideal world. ;-)
June 5th, 2009, 06:58 AM
*1Boy1Girl*
What? And here I was thinking that it was ideal.

No, in all seriousness, you don't want to force her. It's all based ont he child's temperment and personality. Caleb is pretty laid back and handles change pretty well, although he tries to fight it. With him I could get a way with it.

Our daughter (due in July) will probably be totally different and I'll definitely have to amend how I do things I'm sure.

GL and KUP on the progress.
June 5th, 2009, 02:17 PM
Laney21's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Congrats on #2!!

I think you should have no problem getting her into a booster seat at the table by that time, and hopefully she'll be willing to move to the toddler bed too. With both of my kids I started out by removing the adjustable rail side of the crib, and let them get used to that first.
In the beginning she's just going to want to get out of bed over and over again, so maybe you can use the new big girl bed as an incentive when trying to teach her to stay in the bed after you've said good night. You can go look at toddler beds in the store, or let her pick out some pretty sheets for her new bed, etc.

Good luck, and keep us posted on how you are doing!

June 5th, 2009, 02:20 PM
dbl post

June 5th, 2009, 02:20 PM
triple post!

Last edited by Laney21; June 5th, 2009 at 02:22 PM.
June 6th, 2009, 06:18 PM
divamomma's Avatar Veteran
HI I am new and lurking but thought I would throw my 2 cents in!

My 2nd DD went into a twin bed at 18 mos with no problems. My first DD went into a twin at 21 mos with no problems also. One day we just set up the beds, took down the cribs and that was it. We did use a rail on the side for a bit but not too long. It really was easy. (luckily!) Personally I would either get 2 cribs or move the older one to a bed before baby comes. My DD's are 20 mos apart. I had two cribs for the first two months or so. The oldest was sleeping poorly so I figured I would try her in a big girl bed. It worked. Giving their crib to the baby though may be difficult.

As for a booster seat, we never even used a highchair with the 2nd. Once she could sit she went into a booster seat that strapped onto the kitchen chair. Way easier. This was starting at about 6 mos. Your oldest is definitely ready to use a booster.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search