Help!!!

Forum: Traditional Parenting

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Traditional Parenting LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 18th, 2009, 11:25 AM
Proud Happy Single Mom
So I started Emily on a schedule at 2 weeks old. Went beautifully. Now thats she's older the schedule has pretty much gone out the window and it's been a pain in the butt. Bedtime she still wants to be rocked to sleep but then went 2 weeks putting herself to sleep with me in the room singing to her. Now she's back to thinking she has to be rocked to sleep. My goodness she's almost 9 months old, she should (in my mind) be able to put herself to sleep by now. Lesson learned for next child lol, do not rock to sleep AT ALL

Naps are horrible too. During the day she has to be rocked to sleep and held the whole time. Yesterday I got her to go to sleep by herself for both naps only by putting her in my room in her play pen with her Baby Mozart movie on. Today......well lets just say I've been trying to get her to sleep for 1.5 hours now. She just won't give it up. She almost fell asleep in her highchair so I moved her to the play pen thinking she was tired enough to fall asleep.....NOPE!

I have no problem with CIO but it's not working

She goes to sleep at different time every night and doesn't wake up at a certain time in the morning either. So it's been really had trying to get back on some kind of schedule (eating or naps. right now I'd go for either)

Any advice??? I'm just dying

UPDATE: She's asleep!!!!!!!!!! After 1 hour and 45 minutes of off and on crying/whining she's finally asleep! I hate when she does this to herself but what else can I do???? She has to learn she can go to sleep by herself. And she sleeps so much better during naps (longer and wakes up happier) if she's by herself. How do you get a 8.5 month old to know that

Last edited by *~Proud_Mom~*; June 18th, 2009 at 11:43 AM.
June 20th, 2009, 07:42 AM
Laney21's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
You need to be consistent. If you don't want to rock her to sleep anymore or let her sleep being held, then you have to stop it altogether. She's holding out for an hour and a half because she thinks you'll give in and rock her, because you do sometimes. It won't take her long to learn to fall asleep on her own once she realizes that's what she has to do. Just stay close by and keep returning to comfort her without picking her up. She's not a newborn who is going to feel abandoned when you leave the room, she's old enough to know you are coming back.
Does she have any comfort items like a soother or blankie she sleeps with? Maybe try a new blankie or a new stuffed friend that is only for sleepy time? You can also try letting her sleep with your pillow at naptime, or with one of your shirts so she can smell you near and let that comfort her.

Good luck!! She'll probably be stubborn for awhile, but stick with it. You two will enjoy much more quality time together when she is well rested and back on a schedule again.

June 23rd, 2009, 08:20 AM
Proud Happy Single Mom
Well yesterday went very well! Today however....not so much we are goingbon 20 minutes of crying now. It's starting to become off and on crying though which is a good sign.
June 23rd, 2009, 09:33 AM
*1Boy1Girl*
LIke Mel said, just be consistent with what you are doing. It's not going to be an overnight fix for sure. It's going to take her a few days to realize you are not going to give in. The fact that it's off and on crying at the moment is good. She's learning, but she's giving that last ditch effort to see if you're going to budge.

Stay strong mommy!!
June 24th, 2009, 08:02 PM
Proud Happy Single Mom
It's going well!!! I'm so happy. She took every nap today by herself YAY! 2 Days down....
June 25th, 2009, 05:29 AM
*1Boy1Girl*
Yay...congrats!
June 25th, 2009, 06:55 AM
Laney21's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
That's great!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search