Traditional Mommy Introduction Thread!

Forum: Traditional Parenting

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Traditional Parenting LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
November 17th, 2010, 06:57 AM
Linzie's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via MSN to Linzie
Let's get to know everyone!

Name(if you wish to share/Nickname:

What makes Traditional Parenting the right style for you?:

Fave Color:
Fave Food:
Fave Dessert:
Fave Author/Book:

Fave TV show:
fave Movie genre:

Sports teams you follow(if you do):

--------------

Name(if you wish to share/Nickname: Linzie! No nickname
Family Status (SO+kids):Married 2 years to DH Jamie, Stepchildren Pierce(10) and Abby(7), and our baby Alexander (6mo)

What makes Traditional Parenting the right style for you?: I believe in high expectations and independence in children. Discipline and rules and structure work very well for us.

Fave Color: Purple!
Fave Food: Beef stew and cornbread
Fave Dessert:Yellow cake with chocolate frosting
Fave Author/Book: Author: Mercedes Lackey, Anne McCaffrey. Book:The Black Dagger Brotherhood Series

Fave TV show: Burn Notice, House, Law&Order:SVU, American's Funniest Home Videos, and anything on Animal Planet.
Fave Movie genre: Action/Comedy

Sports teams you follow(if you do): South Carolina Gamecocks!! And Clemson if they are playing out of state teams.

November 17th, 2010, 08:55 AM
MeggysMommy's Avatar 3 + 1
Name(if you wish to share/Nickname: Caylynne
Family Status (SO+kids): DH David who is almost 23 and Megan 1 month

What makes Traditional Parenting the right style for you?: It is what comes natural to me and works for my family. My husband and I were raised this way and we want to raise our children in the same way.

Fave Color: Yellow and Pink
Fave Food: I'm pretty sure for the longest time any form of potato
Fave Dessert: Cheesecake
Fave Author/Book: Dean Koontz

Fave TV show: House, How I Met Your Mother, CSI, Fringe
fave Movie genre: Comedy

November 17th, 2010, 09:14 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Name(if you wish to share/Nickname: Melanie
Family Status (SO+kids): DH 27, DD 7 and DS 4.

What makes Traditional Parenting the right style for you?: We use traditional parenting with other techniques thrown in and it works pretty well for us. We're raising our children in a similar but better way than we were raised.

Fave Color: Blue, black, pink
Fave Food: Mexican food specifically carnitas.
Fave Dessert: Tiramisu or cheesecake
Fave Author/Book: Nicholas Sparks & Dave Pelzer A Child Called 'It'

Fave TV show: House, True Blood, Parenthood, Big Bang Theory, The Walking Dead

fave Movie genre: Horror/Drama/Indie

Sports teams you follow(if you do): LA Lakers, UNC--basketball only, USC--football only, Philadelphia Eagles

November 17th, 2010, 12:23 PM
♥RainyLane's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to ♥RainyLane Send a message via MSN to ♥RainyLane Send a message via Yahoo to ♥RainyLane
Name(if you wish to share/Nickname: Aimée

Family Status (SO+kids): Married four years as of the 10th! Yay!

Jarom (pronounced like Jeremy minus the y sound at the end NOT like Jerome!) and he will be 2 at the end of February and Nolan was born October 21st this year!

What makes Traditional Parenting the right style for you?: I think structure is important in a child's life and fostering independence and respect and obedience for your parents. My parents were this way and I think they did a great job! I do mix it up a bit though

Fave Color: I am so indecisive I don't have one... I just LOVE color!

Fave Food: Right now, tacos. Yay for taco night! Tomorrow, who knows?

Fave Dessert: If you have a Safeway nearby, pick up a box of their brown eyed susan cookies. OH MY GOSH. I <3 them. And cake and cupcakes. And fudge. I like to eat...

Fave Author/Book: Philippa Gregory is great. I went through a major historical fiction stint for a while there. I need to get back to reading more but I just don't seem to find the time these days

Fave TV show: How I Met Your Mother, Psych, Lie to Me, and now I am drawing a blank... I watch way too much tv though. Even without cable... :/

Fave Movie genre: Comedy, Thrillers, I also rather enjoy children's movie

Sports teams you follow(if you do): Can't say that I do. Only sports I watch on my own accord are those my friends or family are participating in. I LOVE watching my husband play softball! Professional baseball? Not so much... hmm...
November 17th, 2010, 03:45 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Name(if you wish to share/Nickname: Laurel (no nickname for me!)
Family Status (SO+kids): married + 1 daughter (4 weeks) + 2 doggies

What makes Traditional Parenting the right style for you?: I'm a high school teacher, and I am really sick and tired of seeing so much disrespect! My hubby and I agreed on TP a long time ago, but we haven't had a kiddo until now .

Fave Color: Purple
Fave Food: Oooh, I don't know. I love to eat lots of things! I guess french fries are probably my biggest weakness.
Fave Dessert: Cake of various kinds... chocolate, lemon, yummy!
Fave Author/Book: I love Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time books (um, except he's dead now, so Brandon Sanderson is finishing up the series). I also love Torey Hayden- she writes non-fiction books about her personal experiences working with special ed kids.

Fave TV show: House
fave Movie genre: Romantic comedy

Sports teams you follow(if you do): My hubby loves college football (and I like it okay), and his favorite team is Boise State. It gets confusing, though, because they are the Broncos and we live outside of Denver, so we always have to make sure that we say "Boise State"!
November 17th, 2010, 04:00 PM
♥RainyLane's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to ♥RainyLane Send a message via MSN to ♥RainyLane Send a message via Yahoo to ♥RainyLane
Quote:
Originally Posted by lnj5duke View Post
Fave Author/Book: I love Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time books (um, except he's dead now, so Brandon Sanderson is finishing up the series).
My husband reads those! We have the whole series, minus the one that just came out. He is dying to get it though. I have yet to read them but have been thinking about starting it, maybe now I will. Have you gotten the new book yet? My BIL says it is his favorite book of all time now.
November 17th, 2010, 05:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lnj5duke View Post
Name(if you wish to share/Nickname: Laurel (no nickname for me!)
Family Status (SO+kids): married + 1 daughter (4 weeks) + 2 doggies

What makes Traditional Parenting the right style for you?: I'm a high school teacher, and I am really sick and tired of seeing so much disrespect! My hubby and I agreed on TP a long time ago, but we haven't had a kiddo until now .

Fave Food: Oooh, I don't know. I love to eat lots of things! I guess french fries are probably my biggest weakness.
Fave Dessert: Cake of various kinds... chocolate, lemon, yummy!
Fave Author/Book: I love Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time books (um, except he's dead now, so Brandon Sanderson is finishing up the series). I also love Torey Hayden- she writes non-fiction books about her personal experiences working with special ed kids.

fave Movie genre: Romantic comedy

Sports teams you follow(if you do): My hubby loves college football (and I like it okay), and his favorite team is Boise State. It gets confusing, though, because they are the Broncos and we live outside of Denver, so we always have to make sure that we say "Boise State"!
That's my DH's favorite team too! Well, behind the South Carolina Gamecocks of course. He's been following them for a long time.

And it's great to see so many new faces here!! Yay!

November 17th, 2010, 05:57 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by ...Aimee... View Post
Have you gotten the new book yet? My BIL says it is his favorite book of all time now.
No, I bought it for my sister for her birthday, but I didn't order one for myself! I'm currently re-reading the last one before the new one, then I will go and get it!

And Linzie, my stepsister graduated from South Carolina, so she and my stepfather are big fans. Oh, and I guess I forgot to mention that we are Duke fans for b-ball season, but we don't follow that as much as the BSU football.
November 17th, 2010, 06:02 PM
We don't follow b-ball at all. I really only watch football because DH does. I will get into the SCU and BSU games though.

November 18th, 2010, 05:26 AM
Conners Mommie +2's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Name(if you wish to share/Nickname: Jennifer
Family Status (SO+kids): DH is Josh, DS1-Conner (5) DS2- Colin (10 months)

What makes Traditional Parenting the right style for you?: I believe that children need structure and discipline. I'm with one of the above posters that children these days have no respect and I believe it's because they're taught none and get away with murder.

Fave Color: Blue
Fave Food: Anything pasta
Fave Dessert: ice cream

Fave TV show: too many to name. I'm a DVR junkie
fave Movie genre: scary/thriller/horror

Sports teams you follow(if you do): Clemson Tigers!! Booooo Gamecocks....lol, Linzie

November 25th, 2010, 09:58 AM
Gaby&Emmy'sMama's Avatar aka NZ-Emma
Name(if you wish to share/Nickname: Emma / Em
Family Status (SO+kids): 2 daughters - Gaby (4) & Emersyn (5mo)

What makes Traditional Parenting the right style for you?: It's how I was raised, and I agree with how we were raised.. so it seemed like the right thing for me!

Fave Food: Dads lasagna
Fave Dessert: Ambrosia
Fave Author/Book: too many to name

Fave TV show: too many to name! but Desperate Housewives & Greys Anatomy
fave Movie genre: Comedy

Sports teams you follow(if you do): the All Blacks

December 4th, 2010, 01:57 PM
angelsailor288's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Name(if you wish to share/Nickname: Ashley
Family Status (SO+kids): My boyfriend Nick, and our baby due June 20th.
Girl - Ava Stephanie
Boy - Nicholas James III

What makes Traditional Parenting the right style for you?: Its how we both were raised and feel it will make for a well rounded child. I've been around many children that I frankly do not want my child to be anything like.. and I feel TP will be best to avoid that.

Fave Food: Anything that tastes good lol!
Fave Dessert: Apple pie & vanilla ice cream
Fave Author/Book: I enjoy true life books, I really enjoyed The Boy in the Basement series, as disturbing as they were there was alot of hope in them.

Fave TV show: Army Wives, Dexter, Weeds
fave Movie genre: A good comedy or romance

Sports teams you follow(if you do): Yankees (baseball) although I dont follow much anymore, no time

Thank you jaidynsmum for my siggy!

December 6th, 2010, 01:54 PM
NickieH's Avatar Muggle
Name(if you wish to share/Nickname: Nicole/Nickie
Family Status (SO+kids): married (Adam), mom to Jasper (1.5 months)

What makes Traditional Parenting the right style for you?: Its how I was raised so it seems like the natural thing to do. For me TP means teaching discipline and respect while encouraging independence.

Fave Color: lime green
Fave Food: anything with tomato sauce
Fave Dessert: tirimisu
Fave Author/Book: J.K. Rowling/ Harry Potter series
Fave TV show: True Blood, House, Vampire Diaries, Bones, Supernatural (too close to call!)
fave Movie genre: fantasy

Sports teams you follow(if you do): n/a

December 19th, 2010, 08:56 PM
challowell's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Name(if you wish to share/Nickname: Chistina
Family Status (SO+kids): married (Carl), mom to Rachel,3, an Jamie 19 months

What makes Traditional Parenting the right style for you?: Its how I was raised so it seems like the natural thing to do. For me TP means teaching discipline and respect while encouraging independence.

Fave Color: Blue
Fave Food: seafood
Fave Dessert: ice cream
Fave Author/Book: J.K. Rowling/ Harry Potter series
fave Movie genre: fantasy

Sports teams you follow(if you do): Pittsburgh Steelers
January 4th, 2011, 06:27 AM
AimeeD041727's Avatar PowerPuffGirls
Name(if you wish to share/Nickname: Aimee
Age28
Family Status (SO+kids): Married w/ 3 little girls

What makes Traditional Parenting the right style for you?: I believe that kids need a set of rules to learn from. You need to know the difference between right and wrong and there shouldn't be a gray area.

Fave Food: Italian
Fave Dessert: Anything chocolate!
Fave Author/Book: I love the Last Lecture by Randy Pausch

Fave TV show: Trueblood
fave Movie genre: Thriller/Drama and Horror

Sports teams you follow (if you do): Pittsburgh Penguins and Steelers
January 4th, 2011, 11:57 AM
Amaranth Dhanya's Avatar aka Hillarie
Send a message via Yahoo to Amaranth Dhanya
Name(if you wish to share/Nickname: Hillarie
Family Status (SO+kids): Married to Dan(48). We have 3 boys(Connor is 6, Avery is 4 1/2, and Devinn will be 3 on Jan. 14th)

What makes Traditional Parenting the right style for you?: Its what feels right to me and DH. We were raised well and dont feel we need to change our natural ways to raise our children to be strong, honest, independent men.

Fave Food: Pizza
Fave Dessert: Cinnamon Roll
Fave Author/Book: No favorite authors. Loved the Black Dagger Brotherhood series tho

Fave TV show: Have a few...Bones/Leverage/Lie To Me/Mentalist/Hawaii Five-O
fave Movie genre: Action/Adventure

Sports teams you follow(if you do): Watch NASCAR and thats about it. My favorite driver is Denny Hamlin(#11).

~My thanks to *Kiliki* for the siggy and Lucy S for the blinkies~
January 16th, 2011, 05:19 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Name(if you wish to share/Nickname: Nicole
Family Status (SO+kids): DH is Dave, 31 and we have our first on the way, due in April

What makes Traditional Parenting the right style for you?: I believe in high expectations, structure, discipline, and we know we're not AP people, so this feels right!

Fave Color: Yellow
Fave Food: Spaghetti
Fave Dessert: Brownies
Fave Author/Book: ?

Fave TV show: Greys Anatomy
fave Movie genre:

Sports teams you follow(if you do): Husband follows Denver teams. Broncos!

January 18th, 2011, 12:46 PM
erjo's Avatar Veteran
Let's get to know everyone!

Name(if you wish to share/Nickname: Erin
Family Status (SO+kids): Married to Art 10 years; three kids and one on the way

What makes Traditional Parenting the right style for you?: Well, I'm a Christian, and I feel like more traditional parenting tends to line up better with my faith (although I know a LOT of Christians who do AP, LOL). I just think TP puts the parents in charge and that's the way it should be. I also really believe that a routine is a beautiful and IMPORTANT thing for a baby/toddler. I think having my own bed is also a beautiful thing. I have probably gotten a little less "traditional" over the years, but I'm definitely NOT into AP.

Fave Color: I don't know.
Fave Food: now's not the best time to ask; I'm pregnant and everything tastes weird. LOL
Fave Dessert: ice cream. cheesecake. chocolate. I like dessert.
Fave Author/Book: totally depends on my mood.

Fave TV show: I like Bones. And House.
fave Movie genre: depends on my mood

Sports teams you follow(if you do): not a big sports fan.

[/CENTER]
February 19th, 2011, 07:31 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Name(if you wish to share/Nickname: Amanda, but my friends call me Mandy
Family Status (SO+kids): DH Mike, DS Ethan & DD Avery

What makes Traditional Parenting the right style for you?: DH & I are believers in action/consequence parenting. We want our children to be prepared for life in the real world. My son is 2 & he is a boundary tester; he will push & push until the boundary is established & re-established...

Fave Color: Red
Fave Food: Anything Italian
Fave Dessert: Chocolate... enough said
Fave Author/Book: I love the Harry Potter series.

Fave TV show: True Blood .... mmmmm Eric.
fave Movie genre: I dunno, I like a lot of movies

Sports teams you follow(if you do): I suppose I'm a Steelers fan by marriage. DH is from the Burgh. I love to watch ice hockey. I used to follow the Flyers, but since I moved to DC (2002), I've gotten in to the Caps.
February 25th, 2011, 11:22 PM
Veteran
Name(if you wish to share/Nickname: Becky
Family Status (SO+kids): married and mama to three little ones .. Noah, Kinsley, and Lucas

What makes Traditional Parenting the right style for you?: We believe in boundaries and that there are consequences to your actions. We also believe that in parenting the parent is the person in charge.

Fave Color: purple

Fave Food: Mexican

Fave Dessert: strawberry shortcake

Fave Author/Book: Right now I'm reading the Sookie Stack house books!

Fave TV show: I love me some True Blood too!

fave Movie genre: 80's

Sports teams you follow(if you do): I don't really follow any but my husband is a huge San Fransisco fan!

--------------

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search