calling all bookworms

Forum: Traditional Parenting

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Traditional Parenting LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 8th, 2011, 06:57 PM
Gaby&Emmy'sMama's Avatar aka NZ-Emma
what are you reading at the moment?
who are your favourite authors?

I'm reading the Time Travellers Wife right now
Favourite authors..... I have many lol
-
patricia Cornwell
- James patterson
- Jackie Collins
- Danielle Steel
- Jodi picoult
- Jean M. Auel

July 8th, 2011, 09:18 PM
angelsailor288's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I'm not much of a reader anymore but I'm working on The Happiest Baby on the block

Thank you jaidynsmum for my siggy!

July 9th, 2011, 06:57 AM
Amaranth Dhanya's Avatar aka Hillarie
Send a message via Yahoo to Amaranth Dhanya
Not reading anything at the moment...need to get to the library.

Last book I read was The Goddess is in the Details by Deborah Blake(want to read more of her stuff I really loved that book).

Ive also recently read most of the Black Dagger Brotherhood series by JR Ward. There is one left I havent read and I plan on getting it from the library soon.

I enjoy Danielle Steele, JR Ward, Stephen King....hmmm, thats all I can think of right now.

I hear the Outlander series of books are excellent. I might check them out too.

~My thanks to *Kiliki* for the siggy and Lucy S for the blinkies~
July 9th, 2011, 02:11 PM
I haven't read a Stephen King book for ages - I went through a really big phase when I was a teen... 'It' still freaks me out... more so now that I have kids...

July 9th, 2011, 09:27 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I'm reading "Brain Rules for Baby" and "The Bee Eater: Michelle Rhee Takes on the Nation's Worst School District".

Jodi Picoult is one of my fav authors, too! I also love, love, LOVE Rafe Esquith, but he's only written three books.

When I was a kid, I loved The Baby-Sitters Club books by Ann M Martin. Anyone else remember those?
July 9th, 2011, 09:48 PM
Jenna's Avatar AWESOME!!!
I had every single BSC book. No joke. I was obsessed.

I just finished re-reading Acceptable Risk (Robin Cook). Not sure what I'll read next.

Favorite authors: JR Ward, JD Robb/Nora Roberts, Tess Gerritsen, Robin Cook, John Saul, Ayn Rand, Douglas Adams, Madeleine L'Engle, Rick Riordan, Richard Preston, Stanley G. Weinbaum, Craig Ferguson, Howie Mandel (seriously, if you're into really humorous autobiographies, check out American on Purpose by Craig Ferguson and Here's the Deal: Don't Touch Me by Howie Mandel. HILARIOUS)... Plus 100 other authors whose names aren't coming to my head at the moment

I read a LOT. Book favorites:
the Black Dagger Brotherhood series
Atlas Shrugged
Percy Jackson & The Olympians series
Inheritance series (Eragon and the like)
Slouching Towards Bethlehem
The Ultimate Hitchhiker's Guide
Escape (Carolyn Jessop's story of living with/leaving the FLDS - it's a little bit repetitive, but it's a good story. Just don't try to read the sorta-sequel she wrote, 'cause it's a rehashing of the first book and it's really irritating to read the same thing over and over and over)
The Host
The Hunger Games trilogy
July 10th, 2011, 06:45 AM
I remember the Babysitter Club books but I was just old enough I never read them.
I read the Sweet Valley High series and tons of stuff by Beverly Cleary and Judy Blume when I was younger.

July 10th, 2011, 10:00 AM
angelsailor288's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I never liked baby sitters club but I loooooved sweet valley high!

Thank you jaidynsmum for my siggy!

July 10th, 2011, 01:34 PM
OMG I was the hugest BSC fan - and guess what - I found the updated versions at my library the other day... lol. I was looking for books for Gaby and found the BSC - they have a new style cover, I really hope Gaby wants to read them when shes older. I was pissed, I gave my aunty all my BSC books for my cousin, and they left them in the garage and they went all moldy and stuff... I was so upset :[ there were hundreds of dollars worth of books

July 10th, 2011, 03:30 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I think my mom lost my BSC books... and I'm not sure what happened to the Berenstain Bear books that I wanted to keep, but she insisted on keeping for the grandkids (I hope she still has those somewhere).

I entered one of the BSC contests to get my name in a book... I got a t-shirt, and then my name was in one of them! I thought I was supposed to win more if I technically "won", though, so it might have just been coincidence. I think it was book #119, the one about Kristy and the service dog? The mom of the blind girl is "Laurel Cooper", which was my name before I got married. Yeah, obsession. Definitely .

They have updated versions?

I just missed the Sweet Valley High fad, but I loved Beverly Cleary and Judy Blume, too. Oh, and how about the Thoroughbred books? I got into those when we moved out west, lol.

Anyone into the Twilight series? What about Robert Jordan?
July 10th, 2011, 06:18 PM
Jenna's Avatar AWESOME!!!
I donated my BSC books to our town's tiny library. Children's section doubled.

I totally forgot about Sweet Valley High! Yeah, those were good - though they were a tiny bit before my time. I think the series was mostly done when I started reading them.

I like Twilight, but Twilight fanfiction is better. (A Twilight-obsessed JM'er got me into the fanfic.) I really think Meyer did a better job with The Host than with the Twilight saga, though.
July 10th, 2011, 08:39 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Ooooh, I loved The Host. Come to think of it, I loaned it to my sister-in-law about 2 years ago... she still needs to read it!
July 11th, 2011, 09:00 AM
I liked the Twilight books and have enjoyed the movies thus far.

I really liked The Host as well(my sis lent me her copy to read).

Oh crap.....the lady who wrote Good in Bed. Jennifer Weiner...she's really good. My sis got me into a couple of her books(like Good in Bed and its follow up)and they were funny and touching and hit close to home.

She's the lady that wrote that book In Her Shoes that got made into a movie with Cameron Diaz and Toni Collette.

July 11th, 2011, 08:31 PM
Sweet Valley High was awesome.. I was always so envious of Elizabeth They've brought out a "10 years later" SVH book, I'd love to read it

July 26th, 2011, 12:01 AM
sandpaper06's Avatar Mom of 3 darlings
I can't keep away from a book rec thread! I'm just jumping in here. And bumping an old post. Sorry!

I love JR Ward. I'm glad to know that there are others out there like me. It depends on my mood, but I also like the Sookie Stackhouse books. Not as much as the Black Dagger Brotherhood, but they're mainly enjoyable.

I really like me some Young Adult lit books, particularly fantasy ones. So, I am a big fan of Brandon Mull (his Fablehaven series), Rachel Hawkins (Hex Hall series), JK Rowling (Harry Potter) and Scott Westerfeld? (The Uglies)
Caroline - November '12

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search