Intro

Forum: Traditional Parenting

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Traditional Parenting LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 25th, 2011, 07:09 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Hi ladies. I am a lurker coming out of hiding. DH is Chris, DD is MaryBeth(MB for short hand typing), and I am Amy. MB is 9.5 months old. I do have a question though, how do you handle the criticism of being to tradional? DH and my mom went through a phase of being hard on me, because I was being "tough" on MaryBeth, trying to teach her the meaning of no.

Anything you would like to know about me(well with in reason), just ask and I will fill you in.

August 25th, 2011, 08:28 PM
Valerie.'s Avatar Loving life as a mom
Hi and Welcome

I think there is always someone that will have something about the way your raise your children. I say take it with a grain of salt and realize that they have your best intentions at heart .

August 25th, 2011, 11:44 PM
Lenae's Avatar Super Mommy
Welcome! My family is supportive of the way DH and I are raising our kids, but DH's family is less supportive. Occasionally they make snide remarks about MY parenting (not DH's though, because he is the GOLDEN child of that family). I usually let it roll off my back, but if it really gets to me, I just casually mention how they are my children, and if anyone has a problem with my parenting, they ought to go have some (or some more) or their own kids.

As my kids get older, I get fewer remarks about my parenting choices, mostly because my kids are really well behaved. That's not to say we never have problems, but when we go and visit family they nap well on their own, eat what is put in front of them, and understand that when Mommy or Daddy says "no" we mean it.
August 26th, 2011, 05:40 PM
Gaby&Emmy'sMama's Avatar aka NZ-Emma
hello and welcome! I'm Emma (27), Mummy to Gabrielle (4y10m) and Emersyn (14mo)... The criticism can be hard to handle, but what you need to try and do is just learn to ignore it, and not let it get to you - which can be hard.. jsut remind yourself you're parenting MB in the way that YOU want, and that is what is important

August 26th, 2011, 05:56 PM
angelsailor288's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Welcome! I'm Ashley mom to baby Nicholas, born June 20th this year

Thank you jaidynsmum for my siggy!

August 26th, 2011, 09:21 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Thank you for the welcomes. I've been pretty good at letting it go in one in ear and out the other in my own DH started in on me. I just left him to the parenting decisions for a day, he realized very quickly that I might be on to something. I did blow up at him over it, because he was basically being that way because his "parents, don't even get me started on them" think that we should be more AP since she is still less than a year old. AP just doesn't work for MB though, she's not a cuddler(never has been, would fake sleep so my mom wouldn't pick her up, then smile at me after she walked away), she wants her own bed to sleep in(and mostly won't go to sleep until you've put her in it, always been that way) and these are just the examples I can think of right now. She likes to be a very independent little girl. She going through a phase right now of wanting us in the same room, but is more than content to play with her toys as long as we are there.

Also MaryBeth has kind of reached a stage where if we don't pick her up when she wants us to she throws a screaming fit. I mean she's literally screaming at the top of her lungs. We used to ignore it and just talk to her and that would calm her down, then you could distract her with a toy. Now she wont stop until you pick her up. We now take her to her room and let her throw her fit. When we do this we talk to her about how she is not being nice and tell her that we will come back to get her when she is being nice.

Ohhh and we want her to understand the meaning of no, because while we can babyproof our house, she's going to be plenty of places that we can't babyproof. Like my dad's oncologist's(sp) office, my parent's house, his "family's" houses, our grandmother's houses, and other people's houses.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search