STTN... going for it!

Forum: Traditional Parenting

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Traditional Parenting LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
October 25th, 2011, 08:25 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I don't remember if I mentioned this before, but Jenny has had trouble sleeping all the way through the night. We were concerned about her weight, so when she would wake up to eat partway through the night, I would just nurse her and put her back down. I figured she could get her extra calories, and it was also easier on me (since she was always really good about falling right back to sleep).

She used to wake up twice at night, and we dropped one waking time about two months ago, but now her doc says it's time to drop ALL of the night wakings. Last night at midnight I fed her for less time, then put her down again. She screamed for 20 minutes, I went in and gave her a hug, she screamed for 20 more minutes, another hug, then another 20 minutes before she fell asleep again. Then she woke up at 5am and 6am and I just wound up feeding her because we had to wake up for an appointment (bad, I know!).

Tonight, we're going for no feedings... just CIO. We don't have anywhere we need to be for the rest of the week, and my in-laws are coming this weekend. I figure my MIL can take her if I desperately need to catch up on sleep! I know it is the right thing to do, but I am definitely nervous! If we don't break this habit, though, it will be impossible to wean her (among other things), so we are GOING TO DO IT.

Okay, I'm done now
October 25th, 2011, 10:14 PM
Lenae's Avatar Super Mommy
Good luck! CIO can be hard, but you can do it.

A question though, why would your ped tell you to stop feeding her at night? Is she becoming overweight? As a parental decision, I totally understand your desire for her to sleep through the night, and I think it's a valid choice. My children started STTN at 7 and 9 months, though they just did it naturally, not by any super awesome parenting from me, lol. But I've never even had a ped ask me about my childrens sleeping habits, except to inquire whether I felt like they were sleeping well.

Sorry to snoop, I'm just honestly curious as to why your ped would tell you to stop feeding her.
October 26th, 2011, 10:41 AM
Mega Super Mommy
He hasn't had a problem with it until now, so I think it is her age (now that she is one year). My impression was that he thinks it is better to break the habit now rather than when she is in the middle of her toddler years. Also, I think he was giving us the okay NOT to feed her, since there was some concern about her being small (less than 17 lbs at one year).

She only cried for about 1/2 hour at 1:30 last night... when she woke up at 6am I fed her and put her back down. I figure 10 hours without eating is pretty good. We can try to extend it a little once she isn't waking up in between .
October 28th, 2011, 05:32 PM
Gaby&Emmy'sMama's Avatar aka NZ-Emma
Emersyn took a long time to stop having a feed at night - I can't remember exactly how old she was, but it's only in the last couple of months she's stopped. I think the most impt. thing is to be consistent, and soon enough she'll adapt to the new routine

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search