Chores/Allowance

Forum: Traditional Parenting

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Traditional Parenting LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 27th, 2007, 07:25 PM
Laney21's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Does your child do any chores yet? And do you agree with (or plan on) giving an allowance as a reward for doing chores?

My dd is 5 now and she picks up all the toys off the floor at the end of each day, always puts her dirty dishes in the sink, and helps me unload the dishwasher whenever I ask her to. She doesn't get any rewards for doing it, it is just her little job to help with the household. We teach them that everyone in the family helps eachother out. I do not and will never give either of my kids an allowance for normal chores or helping out around the house. When they are older if they want to do extra "work" for us to earn money then we may consider it then, but making a contribution to your family should be it's own reward, IMO.

What do you think?

May 5th, 2007, 08:28 AM
bexmommy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to bexmommy Send a message via MSN to bexmommy Send a message via Skype™ to bexmommy
Yup the boys will do their chores, they tidy there bedroom and pick there clothes up and tidy there dishes away. They don't get allowance for it but they get behavior allowance
May 5th, 2007, 10:24 AM
What kind of a behaviour allowance do you do? Is is for no bad behaviour, or do you use charts or anything?

May 5th, 2007, 08:34 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Does your child do any chores yet? And do you agree with (or plan on) giving an allowance as a reward for doing chores?

My dd is 5 now and she picks up all the toys off the floor at the end of each day, always puts her dirty dishes in the sink, and helps me unload the dishwasher whenever I ask her to. She doesn't get any rewards for doing it, it is just her little job to help with the household. We teach them that everyone in the family helps eachother out. I do not and will never give either of my kids an allowance for normal chores or helping out around the house. When they are older if they want to do extra "work" for us to earn money then we may consider it then, but making a contribution to your family should be it's own reward, IMO.

What do you think?[/b]

ITA with this. Once Brandon gets older, if he wants to volunteer to wash the car or something, then we can talk about a price, but he has normal everyday chores (putting his dishes in the sink after eating, making his bed, cleaning up his room and playroom daily, bringing his laundry basket downstairs once a week, putting his clothes away that go in drawers, throwing his trash away, etc) that are a must and he does not and will not get paid for...it is part of living in this house, we all have things we have to do to keep it running and tidy.
May 12th, 2007, 08:46 AM
Veteran
Every day chores are just a part of life - I don't get paid to do them, why should the kids? (LOL) We'll give out an allowance at some point, but I'm not sure when. Maybe 4-5?

For extra things, maybe some payment is in order, we'll see when we get there. Actually I was thinking about this just this morning, I think for chores like laundry, vacuuming, dusting and cleaning the car, the reward can be they get to keep any change they find in the process (and then make sure there's some there to find!). It would make it more fun, too, like a treasure hunt.
May 12th, 2007, 11:10 AM
Quote:
Actually I was thinking about this just this morning, I think for chores like laundry, vacuuming, dusting and cleaning the car, the reward can be they get to keep any change they find in the process (and then make sure there's some there to find!). It would make it more fun, too, like a treasure hunt. [/b]
That's really cute! Great idea!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search