Any Advice?

Forum: Traditional Parenting

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Traditional Parenting LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 2nd, 2007, 08:42 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I'm big into Dr. Sears stuff, so I don't really visit here...but I'm open to just about anything right now.

Hailey has the biggest sleep issues. Currently we cosleep and are still breastfeeding. She started waking up at all hours of the night to nurse, so biggie, I was able to half sleep though it - until recently. On top of that she is the biggest bed hog I've ever seen [and I"m naturally a bed hog, if she's not in the bed]. I'm fine with fuss-it-out, not really CIO if I can aviod it [she has started throwing temper tandroms - yes at 10.5 months old?! I didn't think it was possible].

Ok here's our delemia right now, when it comes time for bed or nap - she screams bloody murder, and will scream for a good hour before finnally just going to sleep. And the slightest moment from our arms to even our bed will wake her up and we're back as square one. So basiclly we've had to hold her in the position we want to sleep in, and just let her cry for a good hour, and hope to GOD that it wont happen again, while going deaf. This has been going on for a week now. It doesn't matter WHERE we are, it happens ALL THE TIME. We moved her crib downstairs and made it a cosleeper in a sense, in opens that we could start transitioning her to that and then away from then bed then to her room, etc. She play in her bed, she'll hang out there fine, but she WILL NOT sleep in it. I'm just at my wits end with this screaming for hours on end just to go to sleep. DH said a growth spurt, but would that really cause this behavior? I was thinking perhaps an ear infection, but she's got no signs or symptoms really except she prefers to be held upright vs laying down. In the past, her ears will be red, tugging, warm, wont play, kinda stuff. She's not teething anymore then normal.

And she is also the kid where she doesn't really fuss, it goes straight to "you better pick me up/whatever right NOW". There is no inbetween. DH doesn't see what the problem with cosleeping is, and will not period go for CIO, so I need some kinda "solution" that we can work. I have no problem if she fusses, and I"m sure if I could get good naps out of her, bed time would be easier. Last night, DH got night duty, because I just couldn't do it. I couldn't stand the screaming b/c I couldn't do anything to help comfort her.

Any ideas, really I"m open to most ideas, I just need SOMETHING and QUICK. B/c I need neeed need sleep.
May 4th, 2007, 05:27 AM
Veteran
We had HUGE sleep issues with ds from infancy on. The biggest "sleep" help that I got was from a book called Healthy Sleep Habits, Happy Child. It's written by the person who I think is the leading pediatric sleep expert in the US. He backs everything he suggests with research and gives very practical tips for parents.

We are just now learning that ds has a bad case of silent GERD which has probably been true since birth. Within a week of taking Prevacid, he started asking to go to bed when tired. I can't tell you what a miracle this is. From 3 months on, it took hours for us to get him to sleep even when he was extremely exhausted. Even as a new baby, he maybe got one nap per week. Now it's all making sense. Laying down caused him pain. He had absolutely no symptoms of reflux whatsoever.

www.choicesoaps.com - Luxury Handmade Soap
-You've never seen soap like this before!-

May 4th, 2007, 06:57 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I'm starting to suspect a silent GERD, I mean she doesn't have "textbook" symptoms, but has a few things mainly, horrible sleep habits. She sit up frequently +as an infant, but assumed it was normal [she spit up a good bit with each nursing], so I often did just hold her for extended periods after feeding, plus she's such a cuddle bug - always has been. And its when we started nursing laying down we started having problems and never have gotten better. I know its unrealistic to expect a newborn to sleep 4-6 hours at night, but an almost 1 year old, breastfed or not, can last 4-6 hours, at night I'm sure. We've done all the tracking for tired times, etc. WE know what time she wants her bed time - what her internal clock says is bed time. So :/ DH thinks I'm off the deep end though. Alot of the things that says to help with GERD [like tummy sleep, holding upright, eating 2-3 hours before bed, less diary products, etc] are the nights we seem to have *Better* nights. But DH thinks, I'm just reading to much into it, that we just need to wait it out and it'll get better -- its teeth, growth spurt, or something. But I don't see how it could be those things if its on a consistent basis. Espically, since she's not teething anymore then normal [and even with giving teething meds or tylenal it doesn't change], and it COULD be a growth spurt...but since sept when she started waking every few hours. She would sleep from about 8pm to 4/6 am easily, then go back to sleep until about 7 or 8 from birth to sept. I just don't know whats going on. I'm going to give her doctor a call, but DH thinks it'll just be a waste of money, and I'm just reading to much into things.
May 5th, 2007, 03:21 AM
Veteran
If checking into it will put your mind at ease, it's not a waste of money--even if it doesn't work. If your dc is in pain, you will be so so glad you spent the $ to help. (Just a side note - my ds had no symptoms of GERD and I had to ask at least 6 different practitioners over the course of 14 months before someone finally looked into it. I think my case is pretty extreme, but be prepared to persist with your dr or find another if they won't help you.) Now we're seeing so many dramatic changes in ds--from his eating habits to sleep changes to personality "quirks" disappearing, the absence of temper tantrums. I'm realizing that he's probably been in pain from birth and it breaks my heart. If you haven't found it already, there's a board on JM for infants/toddlers with GERD. It's been extremely helpful to me!

www.choicesoaps.com - Luxury Handmade Soap
-You've never seen soap like this before!-

May 5th, 2007, 09:14 AM
Laney21's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
If checking into it will put your mind at ease, it's not a waste of money--even if it doesn't work.[/b]
Ditto. You have to trust your gut and if you think something is off with her behaviour then have her checked out just in case. I agree with you, at her age - breastfed or not - she should be able to sleep 4-6 hours at least. Has your DH done any research into any of this? In my experience they sleep MORE when they go through a growth spurt, they didn't fight it!
How has she been these past couple days? Any progress?

May 6th, 2007, 06:08 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Well, I'm calling her doctor Monday. I'm starting to make some diet changes in myself, reading a few sites listed a few foods I eat/drink can be triggers, so I'm going to cut those out and see if we get some progress. [said fried foods, caffine, and something else -- we've been going out to eat more then a few to many times ]

We haven't really had any progress :/ She did go to sleep nicely last night. But she took a late nap - 1.5 hour [which is normally 45 minutes MAX], we got home kinda late [but she slept while we were out- asgain 1.5hour]. So she went to sleep in her bed at about 9:30, at 1am she woke up, and I stopped counting at 4 times until 3am when I told DH to do something. And even then, I still got up a good 4 more times. until 7am when I kicked DH and DD out of the bed.
May 8th, 2007, 06:23 AM
Laney21's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
What did the doctor have to say?

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search